30 day shred rant

Options

Replies

• seobstar
    seobstar Posts: 169
    Options
    totally disagree with you!!! It's an awesome workout. I always add more cardio (eliptical) with it so that I get a higher calorie burn but if you do it and push yourself hard, and use good handweights, and are staying within your calorie range, it is an awesome workout! I have done it numerous times, lost lots of weight and toned up a TON! Jillian absolutely knows what she's doing with her 3-2-1 interval system!
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I only do it on days I am not running and don't have circuits, so I don't feel I do it often enough to move up levels, I am also doing it with very heavy weights (6.6 lbs). Maybe I should just switch levels. I don't feel like it's doing anything other than hurting my knees. The classes I do are a lot more hardcore.

If you're on level 1, try level 2. It actually works out to 27-28 minutes... and I agree with some other posters, it's a great way to build muscle in that short time frame. I was amazed at how much easier pushups became after even a week.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am on day 2 of level 1 and my HRM said i burned off 245 calories. Then again I am using 5 lbs weights and literally giving it my all. I feel like im about to keel over after each one work out.

Yeah, as I said I use 6.6 lb weights and was pushing myself, I was doing much higher reps than they are on the video. My heart rate hit 189 at one point, so I was working, I just don't find it burns much. I mean, I could have worked out more muscle groups and burned over double the calories going on the rowing machine. I think I'll stick to that from now on when I am in a hurry and stuck at home.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    The parts that don't stink are:

1. I can get up off the floor without looking like a drunk potato bug.

I am sooooo going to have to find a potato bug to get drunk b/c this totally had me rolling!!!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Ive done it and it wasnt worth having to look at or listen to Jillian Michales
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    Yes, but cleaning will not give you the same end result as 30DS will.

give it time, and add something else into your day for more calorie burning. Go for a walk or a jog. Do some extra jumping jacks or buy yourself a jump rope (they have them for under $10 on amazon.com).
    If you have machines at home, use them.

Lack of exercise is not my problem. I am very fit, I run 10 k 2 or 3 times a week and do 3 very hardcore circuits classes. I only do the 30 DS on my days off. I am just disappointed the burn is so low.

I felt the same way when I was doing Pilates. it seemed like so much work for so little reward, but it helped me lose weight and tone my body like nothing else could. I am currently on L2D1 of 30DS and have been seeing great results. If it werent for the results, I would get frustrated with how little calories it burns.
  • fteale
    Options
    I used to do pilates as it was really good for my singing and core strength, but I didn't see any results externally at all.
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about buying this, so I read a couple reviews on Amazon. Someone mentions switching it up and doing Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, Level 2, Level 1, Level 2 etc...if you're not feeling a difference just staying on Level 1 - maybe that will help you? I honestly think that this is probably more about tightening up and losing inches rather than burning calories. After I lose a few more pounds I'm probably going to buy this and use it IN ADDITION to the exercises I already do in order to strengthen and tone my muscles as I lose.
  • dawniee
    dawniee Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Definatley go to level 2!!!! I burn about 260 and you will see resultls in tighten up and everyone and losing inches....here is a link for people who have done it with before and afters with pics....just still to it and add it 5 to 6 days a week for 30 days ....i do it which last for about 28 min then run about 3.5 miles in 35 min.....i just started it and i'm on 2nd week ive love level 2...much more challanging...i sweat like no tomorrow and i'm noticed that i keep sweating when i'm running way more than i normally do if i'm just doing my run....i'm give it a 30 day shot at least! I cant get enough of it!

.http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/253907-the-ultimate-before-and-after-30-day-shred-thread?hl=the+ultimate+shred
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I only do it on days I am not running and don't have circuits, so I don't feel I do it often enough to move up levels, I am also doing it with very heavy weights (6.6 lbs). Maybe I should just switch levels. I don't feel like it's doing anything other than hurting my knees. The classes I do are a lot more hardcore.

I honestly think you're just too fit! I'm not, so it was great for me, and if I'd done it for 30 days straight would have completely transformed my body.
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    30 day shred is a workout for beginners or people who are pretty out of shape.
    Try doing levels 1 & 2 back to back if you want more of a burn.
    If you are looking for a Jillian video that burns more calories try one of her 40 minute videos instead of her 20 minute ones.
    No more trouble zones is a similar style to 30 D.S. But longer & more intense. I find I burn the most calories doing Burn Fat & Boost Metabolism. But I usually bounce back & forth in between these 2. I find my current fitness level a little above the shred. Also if you are looking for more definition in your core, there is 6 pack abs... It's pretty tough! Ripped in 30 is her newest, it is shorter like 30 day shred but
    pretty good. I really like Jillian in Ripped.
    Oh, she also has shred with weights, it's a kettle bell workout... My husband likes it, I like the kettle bell aspect but it is only 20 minutes again so you aren't goi g to get a huge burn!
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I do more than one level a day. I've been doing Lvl 3, 2, 1 in that order. I also do her longer videos, like she mentioned in the post above mine. I absolutely hate Burn Fat Boost Metabolism, but only because it kills me because it's a really hard cardio work out. I like her No More Trouble Zones, too.

But I burn about 500 calories doing all three levels, depending on how hot it is in my house at the time :)
  • Deva1026
    Deva1026 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do more than one level a day. I've been doing Lvl 3, 2, 1 in that order. I also do her longer videos, like she mentioned in the post above mine. I absolutely hate Burn Fat Boost Metabolism, but only because it kills me because it's a really hard cardio work out. I like her No More Trouble Zones, too.

But I burn about 500 calories doing all three levels, depending on how hot it is in my house at the time :)

I am the same way. I will do 2 levels back to back fro more calorie burn and switch it up with MNTZ or BFBM which I hate with passion because it kicks my *kitten*. I have done 30 DS, currently on week 2 of Ripped in 30. Nonetheless, even with new video, I still do 2 levels back to back. I have noticed that I just have to challenge my body that way. Otherwise, I don't feel like I get a good sweat dripping work out.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I used it for a couple weeks.
    I burnt like 300 calories each time.
    But I didn't like it at all.
    I didn't feel like I was actually getting a workout.
    And I wasn't losing pounds or inches.
    I stopped doing the shred and went back to doing my regular cardio workouts with 2-3 days of strength.
    Then dropped 3lbs that week.
    I know a lot of people swear by it,
    but you know, different strokes for different folks.
  • adagolden
    adagolden Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you try something different if 30DS is not for you...I am a big fan of the beachbody workouts, like p90x or Insanity. Give those a try and you might like those better.
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I love the Shred. I'm on Day 8 of Level 2 and today I really pushed myself and burned 300 calories. Usually I burn about 250-270.

I agree with the poster who suggested you may be too fit for this workout. If that's the case, try something else for sure. Personally, I know it's worked for me. :happy:
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I think most exercise videos are a waste of time. You might just be in better shape, and need to use heavier weights or do the next level of the program though.
    Ive done it and it wasnt worth having to look at or listen to Jillian Michales

It's little nuggets like this which make me love reading your forum responses. :)
  • fteale
    Options
    I can't really do 2 levels back to back or a longer video, if I had 40 or 50 mins, I'd go for a run. I use the 30DS when I am really short on time and can't do any normal exercise. I think in future I'll just do 20 mins on the rowing machine instead.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Level 2 of 30DS is MUCH harder than level 1. I actually found level 2 to be harder than level 3.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    i am on level 2 and i bust my *kitten* off on it if it is easy then push yourself harder. it is great because you get cardio and strengthening in one. i did zumba instead of the shred yesterday and that was easy. I need to pick up weights to get more of a workout.