Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

A quick refresher on a calorie is a calorie ....

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    JoshLibby wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I
    "A calorie is just a calorie."

100 calories of chicken, 100 calories of french fries. Both give energy, but the chicken does more. It's just that simple.

It's all great and wonderful until you compare molecules and how it works in the body. It's the same energy, true, but how the body reacts to that energy is what really matters. Life isn't about a scale and counting calories everyday we were never meant to do that. But if it works for you GREAT.

Do what works for you, but don't proclaim it will works for all, if it did the world would not have a obesity problem.

"A mile is just a mile."
    Until you compare the terrain. It's the same distance.

I want to see anyone walk 1 mile on flat ground. Then I want to see someone walk one mile on mountainous terrain.
    The distance was the same, but it wasn't the same situation.

As the OP said very clearly...

There is nothing clear in any of it. As simple as it's trying to be made to be, it's just not.

I think if you want to make it complicated you can - there are a myriad of minutiae, with supporting scientific peer reviewed studies that can brought to bear

But the question is 'Are they relevant to your goals?'

The issue with not taking things back to the lowest common denominator is, as I see it, visible in many different fields of expertise .. it causes inertia

A failure to make a decision or commit to a path because one just needs to consider this other information which will at best result in a couple of percentage points difference

Sometimes good enough is just that

It's good enough to achieve your goals

(I remove elite athletes at the top of their game from this .. but only them)

There is plenty of evidence that goes against a calorie being a calorie. The definition is true, until applied, then what? This is why you have an argument in the first place. A cow is just a cow until it's a hamburger, a hamburger is just a hamburger until it's digested now it's a calorie. The point, a calorie is just a calorie when categorizing, after that they are not the same as we see in proteins, fats, carbs, then we dig deeper layer of layer. It's not simple.

Carbs, fats and protein, when used as fuel will always be turned into ATP providing an amount of calories. the way they get turned into that is different but the end product is the same.
    So actually, they're different until they're not anymore.

Wrong. you are so stuck on looking at fats, proteins, carbs you always forget the others. Fiber is a huge one. Fiber slows down the metabolic rate which uses less calories to process the food, so instead of 160 calories worth of almonds it becomes 130. As I said, it's not that simple.

As I told robert, if you're in a place where a 30 calorie difference is somehow fatal to your goals, you're doing something wrong.
    While I don't eat almonds, the funny thing is that with my overall goals, 30 calories a day may actually be significant. If I want to try to gain 0.25 lb a month, it would matter in that regard.

No, because the assumption is that you are not an idiot and will therefore behave reasonably.

If your diet is not allowing you to gain, you will eat more.

Whether or not your estimate of the calories you consume is 100% correct or not (and it's not, no one's is, although some do better than others), and whether or not your estimate of the calories you burn is correct or not, you always can adjust based on results.

People seem to think there's some victory in logging more calories than they actually access, so increasing the number of foods that likely have overstated calories is somehow inherently beneficial.

That seems weird to me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I

100 calories of chicken, 100 calories of french fries. Both give energy, but the chicken does more. It's just that simple.

It's all great and wonderful until you compare molecules and how it works in the body. It's the same energy, true, but how the body reacts to that energy is what really matters. Life isn't about a scale and counting calories everyday we were never meant to do that. But if it works for you GREAT.

Do what works for you, but don't proclaim it will works for all, if it did the world would not have a obesity problem.

"A mile is just a mile."

I want to see anyone walk 1 mile on flat ground. Then I want to see someone walk one mile on mountainous terrain.

There is nothing clear in any of it. As simple as it's trying to be made to be, it's just not.

I think if you want to make it complicated you can - there are a myriad of minutiae, with supporting scientific peer reviewed studies that can brought to bear

The issue with not taking things back to the lowest common denominator is, as I see it, visible in many different fields of expertise .. it causes inertia

A failure to make a decision or commit to a path because one just needs to consider this other information which will at best result in a couple of percentage points difference

There is plenty of evidence that goes against a calorie being a calorie. The definition is true, until applied, then what? This is why you have an argument in the first place. A cow is just a cow until it's a hamburger, a hamburger is just a hamburger until it's digested now it's a calorie. The point, a calorie is just a calorie when categorizing, after that they are not the same as we see in proteins, fats, carbs, then we dig deeper layer of layer. It's not simple.

Carbs, fats and protein, when used as fuel will always be turned into ATP providing an amount of calories. the way they get turned into that is different but the end product is the same.

Wrong. you are so stuck on looking at fats, proteins, carbs you always forget the others. Fiber is a huge one. Fiber slows down the metabolic rate which uses less calories to process the food, so instead of 160 calories worth of almonds it becomes 130. As I said, it's not that simple.

As I told robert, if you're in a place where a 30 calorie difference is somehow fatal to your goals, you're doing something wrong.
    While I don't eat almonds, the funny thing is that with my overall goals, 30 calories a day may actually be significant. If I want to try to gain 0.25 lb a month, it would matter in that regard.

why are you trying to gain .25 pounds per month? who does that/???
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I

"A mile is just a mile."

For medical reasons it would be best that I avoid gaining more than a pound of fat over the next several months, while at the same time I'd like to increase my LBM.
  • JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Fiber slows down the metabolic rate
    Ah, no it does not...

There are two types of fiber one slows down and one speeds up.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Ah, no it does not...

I think you mean slow down or speed up digestion, not metabolism. Interesting if you think calories aren't calories, but digestion is metabolism.
  • JoshLibby
    edited March 2016
    senecarr wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I

"A mile is just a mile."

No, because the assumption is that you are not an idiot and will therefore behave reasonably.

Whether or not your estimate of the calories you consume is 100% correct or not (and it's not, no one's is, although some do better than others), and whether or not your estimate of the calories you burn is correct or not, you always can adjust based on results.

People seem to think there's some victory in logging more calories than they actually access, so increasing the number of foods that likely have overstated calories is somehow inherently beneficial.

That seems weird to me.

The problem with this statement is fiber is overlooked and if you do eat "healthy" you wouldn't know what was absorbed and not, and that can or can not be a huge problem depending on goals, and also goes against the calorie being a calorie ideology.

Almonds aren't about the fiber, but thanks for assuming the science matches your view instead of bothering to inform your view based on the science.

Who stated almonds were about the fiber? I was just sharing how you won't get those 160 calories promised because of the fiber in the almonds. And if almonds are a problem, then you won't get those 300 calories in red beans. Instead 100 is lost.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Ah, no it does not...

Neither type of fiber slows, or speeds up the metabolic rate. I'll wait till the lightbulb goes off in your head...
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited March 2016
    I

"A mile is just a mile."

That seems weird to me.

The problem with this statement is fiber is overlooked and if you do eat "healthy" you wouldn't know what was absorbed and not, and that can or can not be a huge problem depending on goals, and also goes against the calorie being a calorie ideology.

Almonds aren't about the fiber, but thanks for assuming the science matches your view instead of bothering to inform your view based on the science.

Who stated almonds were about the fiber. I was just sharing how you won't get those 160 calories promised because of the fiber in the almond.

You did. You used it as evidence that fiber matters. That or you're just making disjoint statements - "fiber is important because it lowers calories", "almonds have fiber", "almonds have fewer digested calories", "STRAWMAN, I NEVER CLAIMED FIBER IN ALMONDS LOWERS CALORIES".
  • ForecasterJason
    Ah, no it does not...

I think you mean slow down or speed up digestion, not metabolism. Interesting if you think calories aren't calories, but digestion is metabolism.
    Considering that digestion is part of metabolism, I would think his statement has some truth to it.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    I

"A mile is just a mile."

I think @EvgeniZyntx once showed that such a small surplus is unlikely to be realizable as the body would counteract it to become maintenance.
  • ndj1979
    I

"A mile is just a mile."

For medical reasons it would be best that I avoid gaining more than a pound of fat over the next several months, while at the same time I'd like to increase my LBM.

you are not going to get much LBM increase from a .25 per month gain ....
  • JoshLibby
    Ah, no it does not...

Neither type of fiber slows, or speeds up the metabolic rate. I'll wait till the lightbulb goes off in your head...
    Proof me wrong. If I am wrong. then fine but proof would be great.
  • ndj1979
    I

"A mile is just a mile."

Why do you care what his goals are should be the real question, unless he blatantly asks you for help.

I have my reasons...

And there are moot to anything. Stick to the topic.

its ok, you don't need to protect forecaster, he can stick up for himself...

Do you really honestly try to help people? If so you might want to edit your post.

oh the irony
  • J72FIT
    I

"A mile is just a mile."

No, it would not...

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    I

"A mile is just a mile."

Yet, if you have a high fiber diet it would matter. So, does it or not?

How much fiber would you have to ingest to become a problem for your calorie goals? And would you get other unrelated problems first from the sheer amount?
  • J72FIT
    Ah, no it does not...

Considering that digestion is part of metabolism, I would think his statement has some truth to it.
    OMG no...
  • ndj1979
    Ah, no it does not...

he does not have to prove a negative, that is ridiculous.

you make the claims, you can back them up with peer reviewed sources...or can you?
  • JoshLibby
    I

"A mile is just a mile."

That seems weird to me.

Who stated almonds were about the fiber. I was just sharing how you won't get those 160 calories promised because of the fiber in the almond.

You did. You used it as evidence that fiber matters. That or you're just making disjoint statements - "fiber is important because it lowers calories", "almonds have fiber", "almonds have fewer digested calories", "STRAWMAN, I NEVER CLAIMED FIBER IN ALMONDS LOWERS CALORIES".

I used evidence that a calorie is not a calorie because of different variables, one being fiber. Is it true? if so then it contradicts this whole thread.
  • ForecasterJason
    I

"A mile is just a mile."

you are not going to get much LBM increase from a .25 per month gain ....
    I know, but every little bit helps. :)

• J72FIT
    Ah, no it does not...

Insoluble fiber slows down the DIGESTION, not the metabolic rate. If you can't even get that right how can any of us trust any of your insights or opinions...
This discussion has been closed.