Overnight oatmeal in a jar???????

Options
sugom2
sugom2 Posts: 93 Member
Has anyone tried these. Do they actually taste good? I see them all over Pinterest and wonder if it is worth the effort to make them.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    We LOVE them. Eat them often in summer.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    One of my fave breakfasts. you can make a week's worth on Sunday night and just grab one on the way to work. I like to put chopped frozen berries in mine, they are cheaper than fresh and give off lots of juice as they thaw so they flavor the whole cup. I use equal parts plain greek yogurt, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, oats, and frozen fruit. And sometimes a few chocolate chips :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    One of my fave breakfasts. you can make a week's worth on Sunday night and just grab one on the way to work. I like to put chopped frozen berries in mine, they are cheaper than fresh and give off lots of juice as they thaw so they flavor the whole cup. I use equal parts plain greek yogurt, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, oats, and frozen fruit. And sometimes a few chocolate chips :)

I tend to do berries as well, and flax or chia seeds.
  • sugom2
    Options
    I think I am going to give it a whirl. So if you are making them on Sunday, they still taste good by Thursday/Friday?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about these too. What is the consistency of the oatmeal like from just *soaking*?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I eat this a few times a week. I like the texture of oats. It's chewier than cooked. I prefer it this way or dry oats mixed with yogurt. I'm not a big fan of cooked oats.

I have four jars that I use. I put the oats and protein powder in all four at the same time. Then I put them back in the cupboard until the night before I want one. I put the fruit and milk in at that point and stick it in the fridge. I've never let one sit in the fridge any longer than that because I don't want the oats to be too soft.
  • silverlotus
    silverlotus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat oatmeal! You can do it so many ways (my favorite is chocolate pb) and its so easy. Check out oatmeal artist of you want more ideas, she's a blogger and I use a ton of her recipes.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    sugom2 wrote: »
    I think I am going to give it a whirl. So if you are making them on Sunday, they still taste good by Thursday/Friday?

I found them to be less appealing after 2 days personally.
  • sugom2
    Options
    Thank you for your replies everyone.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I'll reply too- overnight oats are amazing. I wouldn't make mine in advance too far though. They're super easy to make, so just do them the night before.

My favorite is anything that involves peanut butter in them! I love the cold, thick texture of them.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've been reading about them for a few years and just tried it a couple of days ago. It was fantastic. I followed a recipe posted on here and loved it. It calls for oats, almonds, cinnamon, bluberries, raspberries, cut up apple with skin, and milk. I used dried blueberries and frozen raspberries. PS I was afraid to try, because I hate mushy oats, but they were perfect.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Glad you asked this - I have been wondering, too! Are you supposed to eat them cold or warm them up?
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I make mine the night before - I think the texture would not be appealing after a couple of days using my method, but since I have never done it that way, I really cant compare - I use equal parts yogurt and oats, and literally just mix together and stick in the fridge till the next morning. You can eat it cold, room temperature or warm it up in the micro. You can add just about anything you want to the mixture, so there are endless flavour profiles to experiment with. Give it a try!
  • chaney3000
    chaney3000 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I want to try this but not sure what would be a good mix. And if I should heat them up the next morning. I'm a firefighter so this would be awesome in the morning when I get off work.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Love it....in the summer. Mine is heavy on the yogurt. Always with fruit and maybe some nuts too.
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Eat them cold. Some people like them warm, but what's the point of making them in advance? Quaker's website has a recipe. I just helped with a food demo on these at work. I love toasted coconut in mine. Some other options: Nuts, chocolate chips, flax/hemp/chia seeds, nut butters, nuts, fruit, honey, maple syrup, brown sugar, jams. Peanut butter and jam is good :) So is PB, banana, walnut with vanilla. I don't like them over 3 days because they get a little mushy. Make sure to use rolled oats, and not the quick cooking ones. You can use any kind of milk, too.
  • agibsonky
    agibsonky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My favorite is dates, pecans, and just a touch of maple syrup.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Yes, I like overnight oats way better than regular oatmeal. It's barely any extra effort to make it. You just put the ingredients into a jar, stir, refrigerate, and eat in the morning.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    How many calories do some of these end up being? Seems like it would be in the realm of 400 or so? That is too high for me to spend on oats and fruit but I an interested I guess.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I dunno. Soggy uncooked oats are not the same as cooked oats. Just gotta try & see if you like.