No change in scale- Due to no weight loss OR muscle weight gain

Options
13»

Replies

• victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    1 pound a week is the standard for breastfeeding moms. No it's not quick but the alternative is that you risk losing your milk supply. Remember that this is a lifelong change, not temporary. You commented that it's already hard getting to go to the gym with 3 kids... What happens when you reach your goal? Quit the gym and go back to the way things were? Find something that works for you. I have 4 kids under 7 and I've lost 80 lbs in the past year while breastfeeding. I had more to lose than you though. The gym wasn't an option so I do fitness blender videos on YouTube in my basement and try to be active with the kids. It really is a lifestyle change but worth it. Give it a couple more weeks and if you aren't seeing changes then drop your calories by a hundred a day for a while and see how that goes. You can totally do this, even if it's not as fast as you envisioned.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I have found that workout calories don't mean very much. The deficit is nearly all diet.

is the benefit of exercising just for toning then?

Exercise is mainly for muscle growth/maintenance and physical fitness. You can be skinny and out of shape, or obese and at least moderately fit, depending on how much exercise you do.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    you lost 4 pounds in a month and a half? that's pretty good. keep up the good work.
    I weighed 196 on the 26th of Jan.
    I now weigh 192.

I eat 1800/2300 (I breastfeed which burns around 400-500 call per day)
    gym 4x a week. 55 min session of cardiovascular and weight training.

15 mins of weights :
    18kg overhead press, chest press, flutes
    20m treadmill level 1, 20 min cross trainer level 1, 15 man rowing machine level 7.
    back extension 40kg 10 reps, abdominal machine 25 kg 20 reps.

but yet I've only lost 4lbs!!?, I feel so discouraged feel like I'll never lose these 4 stones!! scales arena moving..am I gaining muscle or just not losing weight? ?

tape measurements (not 100% due to not measuring correctly or in the same places possible )

☆3rd FEB starting measurements ☆
    TOP OF ARM:39 (3rd) 37 (19th) 36 (25th) 36 (4th march) 3
    TOP OF THIGH: 76?? (26th) 72.5 on top of spot mark on left leg (4th march)
    HIPS: 116 (3rd) 115 (19th) 114 (25th) 112 (4th march)
    WAIST: 108 (26th) 103 (4thmarch)
    NECK: 35 (19th) 34 (26th) 34 (4th march)

you lost 4 pounds in the last month and a half? that's how its done, keep up the good work.

thank you. It's just I wanted to lose 2lbs, as I've got a long way to go.

So what?

This is about the rest of your life

You know how long it took me to lose 53lbs after my 2nd?

Well

There was the 10 years of dicking around yo-yoing from one quick fad to the next

And then there was the 9 months of actually just focusing on CICO ...and I only lost at 2lbs a week for about 7 weeks, then I learned better and slowed it down and lived

you did great. so how much on average did you lose per week in those nine months ??

I'm definitely not Rabbit, but thought I'd answer this, too: after my second child was born I list over 90lbs. Took four years (averaged half a pound per week), but it happened. I was down roughly 100lbs from my highest weight when I got pregnant with Baby #3 in 2014. It took a year after he was born for me to lose the 25-ish pounds I gained, but I'm back to where I was!

My point: don't rush it. Be healthy, and make changes you can live with.
  • Fiftyls2looz
    Fiftyls2looz Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I have found that workout calories don't mean very much. The deficit is nearly all diet.

Exercise is mainly for muscle growth/maintenance and physical fitness. You can be skinny and out of shape, or obese and at least moderately fit, depending on how much exercise you do.

im trying to figure out why the fitness instructer at the gym said that no matter, women just dont build muscle..and to keep strength training and exercising to burn fat.
  • Fiftyls2looz
    Options
    1 pound a week is the standard for breastfeeding moms. No it's not quick but the alternative is that you risk losing your milk supply. Remember that this is a lifelong change, not temporary. You commented that it's already hard getting to go to the gym with 3 kids... What happens when you reach your goal? Quit the gym and go back to the way things were? Find something that works for you. I have 4 kids under 7 and I've lost 80 lbs in the past year while breastfeeding. I had more to lose than you though. The gym wasn't an option so I do fitness blender videos on YouTube in my basement and try to be active with the kids. It really is a lifestyle change but worth it. Give it a couple more weeks and if you aren't seeing changes then drop your calories by a hundred a day for a while and see how that goes. You can totally do this, even if it's not as fast as you envisioned.

you lost 80 lbs in a year whilst breastfeeding??
    yet i should only aim to lose 50lbs in a year?? can you eleborate on that??
    i mean how many lbs a week were you losing then??
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

im trying to figure out why the fitness instructer at the gym said that no matter, women just dont build muscle..and to keep strength training and exercising to burn fat.

Women can build muscle but it is very difficult. The most a woman can build a month is maybe 1 lbs while eating at a surplus and doing a progressive overload program. Recomposition is possible on a slight deficit but it is very slow.
  • Fiftyls2looz
    Options

Women can build muscle but it is very difficult. The most a woman can build a month is maybe 1 lbs while eating at a surplus and doing a progressive overload program. Recomposition is possible on a slight deficit but it is very slow.

how slow?? is there Even a point to strengh training??
    All i want is to burn my enormous fat layers from all over my body and to not lose the muscle i already have. plus I want to avoid lose and flabby skin as much as possible. IS IT WORTH ME SWEATING OVER WEIGHTS or should i JUST hit the cardio machines?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    It is worth it. Strength training helps preserve your muscles so you will not lose them as much as you would if you didn't do strength training.

Recomping is more for people who are already at their goal weight and want to lose a little fat and gain a little muscle.
  • Fiftyls2looz
    Options
    It is worth it. Strength training helps preserve your muscles so you will not lose them as much as you would if you didn't do strength training.

Recomping is more for people who are already at their goal weight and want to lose a little fat and gain a little muscle.

what about when you hear that if you build muscle then you burn more fat or calories as you need to consume more calories in order to maintain that muscle mass you gained??

and also that muscle makes your metabolism faster ??
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    hi all thanks for your replies,
    I'm not eating back my breastfeeding OR exercise calories. I've found that eating 1500 call greatly reduces my milk supply. 1800 - and milk is plentiful...maybe I could go 1700/1600......
    what do you think??

I'm 14 stones 2lbs...or 87kg. 5ft5 or...165cm

I have been trying to lose weight for 5 years but have never had the time because of my kids and also other stuff going on in my life. I would ideally really like to lose at least 2lbs a week as I've got SO much to lose.

how can I make sure I definitely do this???
    also any comments on my exercise or what I should/ shouldn't do? ?

please help "(

I started at 198lbs i am 5ft 5.5 and was bf'ing as well. My weight loss has never been over 1lb per week. I think you are doing just fine, slow and steady is a good way to go, Some weeks i havent lost any weight but the tape tells me i am loosing inches and i can see that around my stomach especially the mummy tummy is definetly firming up as i loose. I have done this before (pre first child) when i lost lots of weight quite quickly and whilst the weight loss was great i didnt see things toning up as they are now. Your baby is still quite young you may find things change with your loss when you are weaning.
    As someone else has said i would only budget 300 cals for feeding, and i am sure my starting calories was around 1700.

Good Luck

Edited to add i am now 31lbs down with another 20 to go

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    When you say your supply suffered by eating less, how did you judge this? Are you sure it did not coincide with a growth spurt, or other factors?
  • sweetniblets1
    sweetniblets1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You've come so far so well done you!! Question...do you do the same gym routine? If so then you need to change it dramatically!! You need to shock your body every now and again for you to see progress. I've been there and struggled..now I change my routine once every 2-3 weeks. Hope this helps and good luck
  • Fiftyls2looz
    Options
    You've come so far so well done you!! Question...do you do the same gym routine? If so then you need to change it dramatically!! You need to shock your body every now and again for you to see progress. I've been there and struggled..now I change my routine once every 2-3 weeks. Hope this helps and good luck
    Rhank

Thank You got a long way 2 go yet "s

well ive been doing the same kinda thing for 3 weeka and before that i was doing HIIT but not seeing much. ill take the switching it up/ changing it to shock the body on board..thank you.
  • Fiftyls2looz
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    When you say your supply suffered by eating less, how did you judge this? Are you sure it did not coincide with a growth spurt, or other factors?

actually recently ive been having a full good supply even at 1600...but i barely stay on 1600...i eat around 1800 ish. "(

and my supply then 100% did go wayyy down. like nothing waa coming out, baby was hungry, empty nappies etc. but maybe i was eating lower calories than i thought?
  • Fiftyls2looz
    Options
    RachelT14 wrote: »
    hi all thanks for your replies,
    I'm not eating back my breastfeeding OR exercise calories. I've found that eating 1500 call greatly reduces my milk supply. 1800 - and milk is plentiful...maybe I could go 1700/1600......
    what do you think??

I'm 14 stones 2lbs...or 87kg. 5ft5 or...165cm

I have been trying to lose weight for 5 years but have never had the time because of my kids and also other stuff going on in my life. I would ideally really like to lose at least 2lbs a week as I've got SO much to lose.

how can I make sure I definitely do this???
    also any comments on my exercise or what I should/ shouldn't do? ?

please help "(

I started at 198lbs i am 5ft 5.5 and was bf'ing as well. My weight loss has never been over 1lb per week. I think you are doing just fine, slow and steady is a good way to go, Some weeks i havent lost any weight but the tape tells me i am loosing inches and i can see that around my stomach especially the mummy tummy is definetly firming up as i loose. I have done this before (pre first child) when i lost lots of weight quite quickly and whilst the weight loss was great i didnt see things toning up as they are now. Your baby is still quite young you may find things change with your loss when you are weaning.
    As someone else has said i would only budget 300 cals for feeding, and i am sure my starting calories was around 1700.

Good Luck

Edited to add i am now 31lbs down with another 20 to go

hiya,
    we have such a similiar situation. Im also seeing my waistline and tummy appear when it was once a distant dream lol. ive lost a couole of inches on my tummy (i measure from on top of my belly button and extend 2wards my back) and a few in other places. ive even lost nearly an inch of my neck? weird.

how long did 31 hefty lbs take you to lose then?
    and how old is little un the now?? baby looks gorgeous!! :)