Chronic Pain sufferer here, dropped 30lbs ( want to lose another 77 lbs.) need advice & friendship?

Options

Replies

• rebecky8085
    rebecky8085 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have chronic pain/Hashimotos Thyroiditis also, age 54 and in the cleaning business.
    I'm at the end of my rope with feeling so bad constantly.
  • honnie43
    honnie43 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia, IC, and arthritis, with very bad back . I started my weight loss journey to help get off some of my meds I've brought my cholesterol from 358 to 121 by dieting and I've lost 22 pounds I'd be glad to help you and we can motivate each other :) keep at it don't give up .
  • Bel4Moza
    Bel4Moza Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Can relate to Marillian. I have chronic back (SI) pain and fell over a little dog in early Dec. and messed up my knee. I can't face the physio - it's humiliating to have a young, thin, perky blonde massage my bum. I just can't do it. I exercise one day and am in too much pain the next. I'm trying for less calories vs exercise - for now. Optimistic that some weight loss thru dieting will make it easier to exercise. Feel stupid writing this. Am I just kidding myself? My dr said it is almost impossible for a woman over 50 to lose weight...

Well that's a positive doctor!! Not! It is not impossible - harder yes - but not impossible. Start with portion sizes and once you have that on track then its about choices. I have chronic pain and multiple co-morbidities (Graves disease - yes I should be skinny!, osteoarthritis and fractured my back 3 years ago which has left me with residual pain if I do much bending and housework etc) that make it hard to lose weight and move around. But I have entered the mind set that I can do it and although some good and bad days re movement I build on my achievements each week. I have lost 13 kgs in 4 months - slow and steady wins the race so they say.
    Don't give up and keep at it. Don't be too hard on yourself and it gets easier in the head even though the body takes a bit longer.
  • honnie43
    Options
    Southbaysonia that's a terrible Doctor to say that , you can do it if you put your mind to it . I've done my weight loss through diet alone . I can't exercise right know do to my back being out and doing injections . Don't give up dear and don't be so hard on yourself . Start small and work your way to good healthy try changing one thing every week . Slow and steady wins the race.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Please visit the Success Stories forum and read "My success story made the front page of the newspaper!" I think it's still on the first page. Feel free to shove it in your doctors face!! LOL
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    @southbaysonia
    Not only 61 but also chronic pain. Can exercise but not more than 4-5 days/ wk. Walking is painful as I have a chronic foot problem. To you and others. Do what you can, exercise-wise. Cut the calories. Stay connected on these forums. You can lose weight. Keep fighting!!
  • southbaysonia
    southbaysonia Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your message. I appreciate your taking the time to write.
  • Karyn1120
    Karyn1120 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've got Rheumatoid Arthrits and Fibromyalgia. I walk every day. If I'm in pain it's a short, very slow walk - but I've found that it really helps the pain in the long run. If I don't walk I feel worse.
    Focus on calories if you can't exercise, and feel free to friend me - The more support the better. These forums are great even if you don't post on them.
    You can do this! WE can do this!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I was a chronic pain sufferer when I started losing weight, but I guess that I really am not any more. I certainly deal with pain occasionally still, but it pales in comparison.

I use exercise endorphins to deal with pain.

Feel free to add me.
  • honnie43
    Options
    Can you explain how to add a person ? When I touch name I get send message and ignore ? Sorry I'm new to this haven't figured it all out yet.
  • Bel4Moza
    Bel4Moza Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    im not sure if I do it right - I click on the person and go into their profile and then there is an add friend box to click on. I hope that helps
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Click on the name under the icon, click on the name that is in blue in the pop-up box and then click on add friend.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I have chronic fatigue and occasional pain and can't work out like I used to. I used to love to lift weights and hike. Now I can walk and do simple exercises like beginners Pilates. I'm still trying to figure out what my calorie intake should be to lose weight. It's not like it used to be. I used to lift weights and drop inches and firm up. These days...well, it's different and I have to accept that. I have a vacation coming up in two months and I'm using that to get myself motivated and staying positive.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    We can be friend if you want. I have chronic pain from 3 ruptured discs in my lumbar spine as well as other spinal issues and neck pain. I also have pcos and now I'm being tested for autoimmune disorders because I'm still not quiet "right". I can't really exercise 90% of the time (in fact there are days I use a wheelchair at the store because I can't stand up straight from my back).
  • emsmomtina
    emsmomtina Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    several of these posts could me writing them! I have Lupus, fibromyalgia, chiari malformation, bone on bone in both knees and so on. I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes about a month ago, and started the LCHF way of eating. I've lost 18 pounds so far. I still have 100+ to lose. Feel free to add me! It's really nice when people understand
  • committedtolose
    committedtolose Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am super glad I found this group. Chronic pain sufferer. I have osteoporosis in my knees terribly, carpal tunnel, headaches, and feet and ankle issues. Hearing the success in this group from people like me gives me motivation and hope. Bless all of you. If anyone needs a buddy please add me.
  • honnie43
    Options
    I've cut the wheat and flour from my diet I can't believe the diffrence it's made in my hands ,joints,knee ,and feet I can wear my wedding ring and my grandmothers for the first time it's lose :) my inflammation is a lot better.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @desiresdestiny I have tmj. i haven't seen a surgeon yet but the dentists have acknowledge it. it gets locked and sometimes when i run it gets stuck a little.
    @slimbyoctober I haven't been officially diagnosed but IBS has been bandied about by my doctors
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I have Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue and PCOS. After trying to lose weight over the past 20 years and going through times when I would exercise - then find myself bed-bound sick and gaining all I had lost back... I'm taking a different approach this time. My CFS has become the hardest of my issues to handle... going to the grocery store can land me in bed for a few days... so right now, "exercise" is simply not happening. It's all I can do to get through my daily activities of laundry, cleaning the house, cooking for my family... so I try to take advantage of those activities. I practice good posture, tightened stomach muscles, squats when doing laundry, leg lifts when stirring dinner, etc. I remind myself that every little thing helps. My calories are calculated to reflect a sedentary lifestyle and Zero exercise. I have lost just over 15 lbs since mid January. My hope is that as I lose weight, I'll feel better and my activity levels can improve. Unlike past times when I attempted to use MFP for weightloss - this time I am not depending on exercise calories to eat more. I have really had to focus on eating quality food. I eat a LOT of vegetables. I drink about a gallon of water a day. I don't deny myself anything that I really want... but I make sure that I really want something before I eat it.
    If anyone would like to send me a friend request, Please feel free! But understand... I'm pretty harsh on negativity... I try to avoid negativity in myself and I will have no problem telling you to brush yourself off and get back on the horse! We all have bad days... but it's how we deal with them that counts!
    Gentle Hugs and Positive Thoughts to all of you!

PS Lorrpb - I read your story yesterday and it really motivated me! Thanks for sharing!!!