Options

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »
    (I'd also thought it was a fasting thing, no idea why.)

Isn't that just Lent?

Oh, I'm very familiar with Lent. Nothing to do with the Daniel Plan. At least not traditionally. In some denominations, maybe. (Making Lent into a way to lose weight always annoys me, also, as I think it's contrary to the spirit.)

I don't know why I assumed there was some fasting element to the Daniel Plan, I'm sure it's just my ignorance!

Lol, please accept my apologies as I was being frivolous.

I've seen a few people suggest that Lent and fasting should go hand in hand so that's why it sprang to mind.

Religion has been involved in the diet business for ages so frankly this plan doesn't surprise me one iota.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Speaking as a minister myself, I see it as a case of a "celebrity" pastor attempting to capitalize on the diet industry by twisting the true meaning of the Scriptural narrative into something it's not.

Amen.

(No pun intended. Really.)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a minister myself, I see it as a case of a "celebrity" pastor attempting to capitalize on the diet industry by twisting the true meaning of the Scriptural narrative into something it's not.

this is the kind of thing that makes people frown on faith based people....
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I get what you're saying. If they left out the "diet" part of it, the whole program would not have the same marketing draw.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Well that, and we have a church held in an old basket ball arena. Someone stole the Sunday collection once; church lost $600k that day (and after announcing the theft, they made more than that through additional donations throughout the week to compensate for the theft). And the pastor has a private jet. Yeah, non-profit, sure...

/soapbox
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12 The Daniel Fast is a different thing, where people took the story of Daniel, stripped it of what I believe is its actual meaning, and decided that the core message is not to eat any meat or processed foods. They call it a fast but you can eat, it just eliminates a lot of foods.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

No true Scotsman and all that jazz...
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    so wait .. it's not the plan where you just decide to run in some *really* stylish white vans?
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Believe me I in no way advocate this plan as I am not religious and don't want to spend my life clean eating. However, my best friend who is deeply religious and very committed to her diet and has lots of time to spare as a stay at home Mum has found this plan is working really well for her. I understand there is a lot of preparation time for most of the meals and a lot of foods are forbidden. She has instigated this plan across her whole family which I have to say has been less successful but she has found it very good. Everyone has a different approach and if this works for you then there is nothing inherently wrong with it. It is based on good food, good lifestyle and healthy emotional well-being and that means something different to each individual.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    8b389ad933d6545fcfcb6815b06045ab.png

Makes sense.

stopped reading comments here.

LOL no. just no.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Anything with Dr. Oz's support is a scam.
  • snews0121
    snews0121 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't know why I assumed there was some fasting element to the Daniel Plan, I'm sure it's just my ignorance! [/quote]

A church I attended years ago did a "Daniel Fast" where our congregation was supposed to fast from "meats and sweets" for 21 days while praying together for a variety of things on a list.

I think it came from the Biblical account of Daniel 10:3 where Daniel didn't eat meat or "pleasant bread", i.e. sweets.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    damn, daniel.

Damn_Daniel_Meme.jpg
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    (I'd also thought it was a fasting thing, no idea why.)

Isn't that just Lent?

Oh, I'm very familiar with Lent. Nothing to do with the Daniel Plan. At least not traditionally. In some denominations, maybe. (Making Lent into a way to lose weight always annoys me, also, as I think it's contrary to the spirit.)

I don't know why I assumed there was some fasting element to the Daniel Plan, I'm sure it's just my ignorance!

It's a reasonable assumption. Fasting can be year round; Lent is just the most prolonged and important fast. In the middle ages the church had set fast days (every Friday, for example), which was helpful for both spiritual purposes, but also helped ensure that the rich didn't eat ALL the food out of the mouths of the poor, just MOST of the food. There was always a fast before every feast day as well, to make the feast more meaningful and special. The Jewish tradition had fasting year round as well. And then there is the tradition of the ascetics and the hard-core fasting in monastic communities, as well as private fasts by devout individuals as needed.
  • CrossfitOCRunner
    CrossfitOCRunner Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    As a Daniel, I like the name of the plan. haha. Nothing wrong with mixing faith with fitness. If you are religious, it should be aligned with all your goals. The basics of the plan aren't too bad, half veggies, 25% protein, 25% carbs. I mean, there are enough ways to approach this correctly, but you cant go too far wrong. If I was going to pay for something, I think I'd spend my money elsewhere, but whatever you commit to and can stick with will be the deciding factor. It all works to varying degrees. It is what you can happily follow and sustain consistently that matters most.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    In for unlimited servings of milk and honey.
    Also, is it odd that when I tried to picture the Perizzites while reading the list of people in Canaan, I thought of someone holding a pepperoni pizza?
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    That Dr Hyman and his woo seem to pop up with clockwork regularity on these boards...*enter hyman joke here*
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    If reps for Jesus isn't mentioned anywhere in this, I'll be disappointed.
  • vickalchev
    vickalchev Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just read through the nutrition plan of this program. Nothing spectacular or groundbreaking. It comes down to
    50 percent non-starchy veggies
    25 percent healthy animal or vegetable proteins
    25 percent healthy starch or whole grains

This kind of plan is what the "experts" call a balanced approach to dieting that doesn't give you any results.

The "Founding Doctors" could indeed hold MDs and PhD (I don't know about Rick Warren) but none of them are nutritional experts:

Rick Warren - no background in nutrition and health/fitness

Dr. Oz - he is an MD but he would put his name behind anything and anyone that gives him a check, so his credibility is as good as none.

Daniel Amen is a psychiatrist - not exactly a nutrition expert

Mark Hyman seems to be the only the team that may have some relevant experience and has not made a fool of himself by being "excited" about green coffee bean extract and the mahu-mahu root that cures cardiovascular disease just by smell.

Judging by the number of typos I found in the first 5 minutes of reading the stuff on their site, it seems like they slapped this whole project together in a matter of weeks.

Overall, it looks like another money grab, this time with a Christian bend.

Here's what I suggest you do instead of falling into this trap:

1. Save your money and don't waste it on this book;
    2. Go on Bodybuilding.com (no affiliation with the site whatsoever) and find a solid nutrition and exercise plan;
    3. Follow the plan and get results.
  • ladyzakis
    ladyzakis Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    As a Brit, when I read about diet plans like this on mfp, I am glad I'm a cynical English miser who trusts nobody. The things Americans try to sell each other, honestly!
This discussion has been closed.