The Daniel Plan

Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Speaking as a minister myself, I see it as a case of a "celebrity" pastor attempting to capitalize on the diet industry by twisting the true meaning of the Scriptural narrative into something it's not.

this is the kind of thing that makes people frown on faith based people....

And towards those who are guilty of things like this, I share that frown.

Then I frown at them again for giving a bad name to those of us who truly just want to seek God and serve others (what the ministry is really supposed to be).
    Not everyone is a money grubbing televangelist. I personally know people who have walked away from good jobs and comfortable homes so they could live on less while doing what they felt God calling them to do.

Unfortunately, that's not the view of the church that society gets. What gets shown to society is guys like this and the ones offering an olive branch for your $100 donation.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    ladyzakis wrote: »
    As a Brit, when I read about diet plans like this on mfp, I am glad I'm a cynical English miser who trusts nobody. The things Americans try to sell each other, honestly!

To be fair, we are probably worse for falling for utter nonsense.

Let's not forget "Dr" Gillian McKeith had her own TV show...
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    ...From what I understand, without buying the book, it's losing weight with the support of your church/religious friends.

I lol'ed.
    That Dr Hyman and his woo seem to pop up with clockwork regularity on these boards...*enter hyman joke here*

Then I lol'ed harder. I'm such a child.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a minister myself, I see it as a case of a "celebrity" pastor attempting to capitalize on the diet industry by twisting the true meaning of the Scriptural narrative into something it's not.

Then I frown at them again for giving a bad name to those of us who truly just want to seek God and serve others (what the ministry is really supposed to be).
    Not everyone is a money grubbing televangelist. I personally know people who have walked away from good jobs and comfortable homes so they could live on less while doing what they felt God calling them to do.

Unfortunately, that's not the view of the church that society gets. What gets shown to society is guys like this and the ones offering an olive branch for your $100 donation.

I agree ...

It is just pastors like this that use the word to enrich themselves create a sterotype that all faith based people are the same, or are just moronic lemming following another one off the cliff...

drives me crazy...

• ndj1979
    Options
    As a Brit, when I read about diet plans like this on mfp, I am glad I'm a cynical English miser who trusts nobody. The things Americans try to sell each other, honestly!

because only Americans are gullible ....LOL ...ok..
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

I'm American who now lives in England. The location has changed and the flavo(u)r of woo has changed with it, but I'd say the quantity has remained constant. You can find gullible people wherever you go.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

I wish I could forget her. Bloody crackpot woman. Thank heavens for Ben Goldacre, and his fabulous hatchet job on her.

http://www.badscience.net/2007/02/ms-gillian-mckeith-banned-from-calling-herself-a-doctor/
  • Carlos_421
    Options

I agree ...

It is just pastors like this that use the word to enrich themselves create a sterotype that all faith based people are the same, or are just moronic lemming following another one off the cliff...

drives me crazy...

Yup.
  • msf74
    Options

You sound like a decent guy and I do not doubt that your intentions are honourable.

However, you don't get to do this. You do not get to disavow people who do things in the name of your religion simply because it is inconvenient or goes against what you believe the position truly is or should be. Should I be convinced by what you say simply because you tell me you know what the real deal is with your religion and not the high profile proponents saying they know better out there?

We must ask ourselves what religious texts say in relation to what individuals should and should not do in relation to their bodies (in this case diet), how this has then translated practically into commandments to the faithful by authority figures and whether this still goes on to this day.

I would hope people like you can wrestle your religion away from the power and control hungry out there. However from where I am sitting all major religions have a terrible track record in abusing such power and control and things like this are simply indicative of an established pattern of what has gone before - the true face of religion.
  • ndj1979
    Options

You sound like a decent guy and I do not doubt that your intentions are honourable.

However, you don't get to do this. You do not get to disavow people who do things in the name of your religion simply because it is inconvenient or goes against what you believe the position truly is or should be. Should I be convinced by what you say simply because you tell me you know what the real deal is with your religion and not the high profile proponents saying they know better out there?

We must ask ourselves what religious texts say in relation to what individuals should and should not do in relation to their bodies (in this case diet), how this has then translated practically into commandments to the faithful by authority figures and whether this still goes on to this day.

I would hope people like you can wrestle your religion away from the power and control hungry out there. However from where I am sitting all major religions have a terrible track record in abusing such power and control and things like this are simply indicative of an established pattern of what has gone before - the true face of religion.

so the actions of a few are then translated to the whole???
  • msf74
    Options

No, we look to, as stated above, what religious texts say in relation to what individuals should and should not do in relation to their bodies (in this case diet), how this has then translated practically into commandments to the faithful by authority figures and whether this still goes on to this day to establish what the trend has been.

• ndj1979
    Options

No, we look to, as stated above, what religious texts say in relation to what individuals should and should not do in relation to their bodies (in this case diet), how this has then translated practically into commandments to the faithful by authority figures and whether this still goes on to this day to establish what the trend has been.

I was referring to this statement, sorry should of bolded:

• smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options

Oh I don't know about that, my facebook newsfeed has been occupied pretty heavily lately by women selling each other the JuicePlus pyramid scheme and claiming to lose a stone in 10 days after using booster sachets etc etc
  • msf74
    Options

No probs.

You may consider this to be the few and you may be right that in terms of physical numbers there are probably far more religious people doing good and living peaceful lives than there are not.

However and sadly, it is not these people who get to define what their religion means generally. It is what the texts say (which are supposed to be revealed truth let us not forget) and how these are then passed down by authority figures who tell the general population how these texts should be applied.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options

You say it is the true face of religion. It seems more to me it is the true face of humanity in general. Whether a person is religious or not, their are people who abuse power. It has been done by religious people, but it has been done just as much by atheists like Joseph Stalin among many others. To fob it off on religion ignores that the issue is with humanity.
  • msf74
    Options

You say it is the true face of religion. It seems more to me it is the true face of humanity in general. Whether a person is religious or not, their are people who abuse power. It has been done by religious people, but it has been done just as much by atheists like Joseph Stalin among many others. To fob it off on religion ignores that the issue is with humanity.

It may well be the true face of humanity. However, exacerbating the situation by sanctioning abuse of power backed up by celestial authority, which is supposed to be unquestionable, makes things decidedly worse.

As for Stalin, his actions were not predicated by a non belief in the theist position that God exists.
  • ndj1979
    Options

No probs.

You may consider this to be the few and you may be right that in terms of physical numbers there are probably far more religious people doing good and living peaceful lives than there are not.

However and sadly, it is not these people who get to define what their religion means generally. It is what the texts say (which are supposed to be revealed truth let us not forget) and how these are then passed down by authority figures who tell the general population how these texts should be applied.

well, I don't think that is a fair comparison to make, and if you made a similar statement about a group of people then you would get torn to shreds for it, but it seems like - IMO - that its is totally legit to paint a broad brush against people of faith and everyone just nods there heads.

I think the problem you identified with interpreting texts is applicable to all groups as a whole and not just religions. Look at the constitution, there is the original intent of the founders, and then a whole subset of interpretations by the supreme court which appear to not be in line with the founding document....
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Welp, based on my several readings of the Bible, there is no "Daniel Plan" in there, so I'm not sure why any Christian has to take responsibility for this diet because a bunch of scam artists teamed up with one televangelist and suggested their diet is based on the Bible.

Most fad diets claim they are supported by scientific studies by cherry-picking results much like the Daniel Plan uses the Bible, so based on your argument we should all stop claiming that fad diets aren't based in science. I mean, some dude with a PhD can show a written study where this plan works, so science has to either kick all the charlatans out or support those fad diets!
  • msf74
    Options

No probs.

well, I don't think that is a fair comparison to make, and if you made a similar statement about a group of people then you would get torn to shreds for it, but it seems like - IMO - that its is totally legit to paint a broad brush against people of faith and everyone just nods there heads.

I think the problem you identified with interpreting texts is applicable to all groups as a whole and not just religions. Look at the constitution, there is the original intent of the founders, and then a whole subset of interpretations by the supreme court which appear to not be in line with the founding document....

But surely your point about the Constitution (which I think is magnificent piece of drafting) supports the idea that determine what the correct position is that you have to look to the text first and what it says. That was one of the points I made earlier.

As for it being an unfair comparison, I don't believe that to be the case. I would hope that any group which has a central document which contains ideas which are fundamentally bad would be challenged and should be challenged on it.

Now I get the impression that the sword of Damocles may be hovering over our heads for even having this discussion but I hope as long as the discussion remains amicable we may be allowed to continue the debate.

• Carlos_421
    Options

Actually, as a representative of my faith and a student of the Scriptures, I absolutely can disavow those who abuse and/or misrepresent the Word of God. Christ taught that we will "know them by their fruits."
    If what someone is doing (especially what they are doing in the name of Christ or His church) is out of line with the teachings of Scripture, I not only have the right, I have the duty, to call them out on it.

Teaching Daniel's fast as a diet plan rather than a short term exercise of consecration via self denial during a period of intense prayer for divine intervention is a misrepresentation of Scripture. I will call it as such.
This discussion has been closed.