what is the best ratio on fat protien and carbs?

Options
dcdcdcdenisedcdcdc
dcdcdcdenisedcdcdc Posts: 13 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
roughly 30 30 and 30? to equal 100%
it seems like the paleo and atkins are the diets that are helping people to lose weight.
they have some differences, but basically it seems the ratio of protein carbs and fat and not too different. What do you think? How do you set your daily nutrition goals to lose weight?!!!!

Replies

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Try different ratios and see what makes you feel the most satisfied.

I aim for 30%c, 35%f, 35%p.

When I eat low fat I end up eating the whole kitchen, so this is what works best for me. Personal preference!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There is no "best"...a common ratio during weight loss is 40p/30c/30f which is called the "zone" or "zone diet"...but really, it's a pretty individualized thing. Most people who get into fitness will focus more on grams than some % ratio.
  • dcdcdcdenisedcdcdc
    Options
    in this website you go by percent and then it's translated to grams. so you have to set the %
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm attempting to do 40C 30 F 30 Protein, But darn, its hard to cut that fat! Any suggestions on that?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    There is no "best"...a common ratio during weight loss is 40p/30c/30f which is called the "zone" or "zone diet"...but really, it's a pretty individualized thing. Most people who get into fitness will focus more on grams than some % ratio.

This.

Paleo has no set carb level, either. There are plenty of carbs that are okay on paleo.

Also, I wouldn't agree that people lose better on Atkins and paleo. I lost just cutting calories and eating a healthy diet.
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

This.

Paleo has no set carb level, either. There are plenty of carbs that are okay on paleo.

Also, I wouldn't agree that people lose better on Atkins and paleo. I lost just cutting calories and eating a healthy diet.

Thanks!
  • Daniellegagne86
    Daniellegagne86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a slightly different perspective. I agree with everyone that is saying that it is really about what works best for you. I'm currently in my third year of pharmacy school, and we are learning a lot about adult nutrition and the appropriate macro distributions. Although I am viewing this more clinically, I've read similar recommendations on the World Health Organization (WHO) website (I copied the link below; look at page 22 entitled 'Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Ranges for Adults). Personally, I am setting my goals according to pharmacological nutrition support guidelines and WHO recommended daily allowances:

Percentage of total calorie intake:
    Protein 30%
    Carbohydrates 50% (or ~ 70% non-protein kcal)
    Sugar <5%
    Fiber 25 g
    Fat 20% ( or ~ 30% non-protein kcal)
    Saturated fat <10% total kcal

Here are my resources for the macronutrient distribution:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.who.int/nutrition/King_presentation.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjbrIu32LbLAhWKqx4KHQpmBQEQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNFajJFy9l28O-k2Jk6JxTlIrxWhmw

http://m.pen.sagepub.com/content/40/2/159.full

I established my goal calorie intake based on my calculated total daily energy expenditure (found by using the Harris-Benedict equation (female version): 655.1 + (4.35 x weight in lb) + (4.7 x height in inches) - 4.7 x age in years) multiplied by my activity factor of about 1.55). I posted a resource below for you to read if you want to try this method. It helps walk you through the calculations.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&amp;source=web&amp;rct=j&amp;url=https://www.k-state.edu/paccats/Contents/PA/PDF/Physical%20Activity%20and%20Controlling%20Weight.pdf&amp;ved=0ahUKEwjjm53S2LbLAhWE9R4KHbHqAWIQFggoMAM&amp;usg=AFQjCNHP495nPuX9Ni4b7PYSVo1Pim8Anw

I really hope some if this information helps you. I know it's a lot, but it's fun to be educated when you're so passionate about health! Please let me know if you have questions about anything I said. Good luck =)

-Danielle
  • windee52
    windee52 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I try to stick with 40% protien, 40% carbs and 20% fat and 50/30/20 on low carb days
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I have a slightly different perspective. I agree with everyone that is saying that it is really about what works best for you. I'm currently in my third year of pharmacy school, and we are learning a lot about adult nutrition and the appropriate macro distributions. Although I am viewing this more clinically, I've read similar recommendations on the World Health Organization (WHO) website (I copied the link below; look at page 22 entitled 'Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Ranges for Adults). Personally, I am setting my goals according to pharmacological nutrition support guidelines and WHO recommended daily allowances:

Percentage of total calorie intake:
    Protein 30%
    Carbohydrates 50% (or ~ 70% non-protein kcal)
    Sugar <5%
    Fiber 25 g
    Fat 20% ( or ~ 30% non-protein kcal)
    Saturated fat <10% total kcal

Here are my resources for the macronutrient distribution:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.who.int/nutrition/King_presentation.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjbrIu32LbLAhWKqx4KHQpmBQEQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNFajJFy9l28O-k2Jk6JxTlIrxWhmw

http://m.pen.sagepub.com/content/40/2/159.full

I established my goal calorie intake based on my calculated total daily energy expenditure (found by using the Harris-Benedict equation (female version): 655.1 + (4.35 x weight in lb) + (4.7 x height in inches) - 4.7 x age in years) multiplied by my activity factor of about 1.55). I posted a resource below for you to read if you want to try this method. It helps walk you through the calculations.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&amp;source=web&amp;rct=j&amp;url=https://www.k-state.edu/paccats/Contents/PA/PDF/Physical%20Activity%20and%20Controlling%20Weight.pdf&amp;ved=0ahUKEwjjm53S2LbLAhWE9R4KHbHqAWIQFggoMAM&amp;usg=AFQjCNHP495nPuX9Ni4b7PYSVo1Pim8Anw

I really hope some if this information helps you. I know it's a lot, but it's fun to be educated when you're so passionate about health! Please let me know if you have questions about anything I said. Good luck =)

-Danielle

Thank you for the informative post. From what I've read from various sources, I'm shooting for 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat, which is spot on to the WHO standards.

Just a side note, many on these boards will say .8-1.0g of protein per pound of bodyweight is too much. I maintain at about 2700 calories a day which would give me 810 calories from protein at 30% of calories or 202 grams. I weight 205 pounds at 6'2", so spot on with the WHO.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Whatever is best for you. Maybe a lot of different macros are equally best for you. I have tried to eat low fat, but couldn't stick to it. (Too bad it took so long, but I believed fat was bad.) I've finally lost and maintain on a more moderate approach, ended up on keeping a steady intake of around 70 grams each of protein and fat, and filling up with carbs. I'm female, 45, 5'3", HW >172, GW/CW 123, and lost on 1400-1600 calories, maintain on 1750-1800.

Oh, and it's the calorie intake that controls your weight. A good macro split can help you stick to your calorie goal, which in turn decides if you lose weight or not, and how fast. No macro splits are "better for weight loss", or let you eat more calories and still lose at the same rate, or possess any other magical properties.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I currently run 40% protein, 40 carbs, 20 fats.. I usually end up a little over on protein and under on carbs.

I do 1.2 grams protein per pound. Yes many will say that's over kill, however there are some good studies that in a calorie deficit it helps you maintain or even build muscle. I agree in a maintenance diet being down around .8 is fine.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    windee52 wrote: »
    I try to stick with 40% protien, 40% carbs and 20% fat and 50/30/20 on low carb days

Do you change you goals setting on low carb days?

I was doing 40p/35c/25f but just changed it to 40p/40c/20f. I find I have been feeling a little lethargic during the day as I consume most of my carbs in the evening. I need more energy during the day.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Paleo or Atkins are NOT the best diets for weight loss (in fact some aspects of them are unhealthy!) - there actually isn't any way of eating that is better for weight loss than the other. The only thing that matters is calories.

I personally do 60-70% carbs and the rest is protein/fat. I'm happy with it and seeing results!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    18c/22p/60f.
  • cjean920
    cjean920 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Paleo is actually awesome! You have to balance the meat/veggie/fat ratio. I lost 15lbs in 2 1/2 weeks the first time I did Paleo and I felt fantastic!!! Natural high energy, my brain fog was clearing up, my focus was sharpening, aches and pains were disappearing. I recently started again and have already lost 10lbs in 2 weeks...no exercise.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    cjean920 wrote: »
    Paleo is actually awesome! You have to balance the meat/veggie/fat ratio. I lost 15lbs in 2 1/2 weeks the first time I did Paleo and I felt fantastic!!! Natural high energy, my brain fog was clearing up, my focus was sharpening, aches and pains were disappearing. I recently started again and have already lost 10lbs in 2 weeks...no exercise.

If it works so good, why do you need to start it again and again? The key to successful weight loss is sustainability. Paleo is sustainable for nobody.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Paleo is sustainable for nobody.

Speculative opinion.
  • dcdcdcdenisedcdcdc
    Options
    Thanks for all the help! A lot to digest, or what to digest! I'm actually a vegetarian trying to do the Paleo/Atkins. Of course I don't believe in eating meat at every meal! Very bad idea. But I think getting extra protein could be beneficial. Starting to eat more fish, low carb protein bars and powder plant protein supplements. I'm eating more raw vegis now, than I did before and sticking to the healthier fats. I kind of believe what they say about those carbs. Thanks again for all your help!
  • mgee89
    mgee89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Paleo or Atkins are NOT the best diets for weight loss (in fact some aspects of them are unhealthy!) - there actually isn't any way of eating that is better for weight loss than the other. The only thing that matters is calories.

I personally do 60-70% carbs and the rest is protein/fat. I'm happy with it and seeing results!

How many calorise u do what do your meal plan do
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    About 60% fat, 30% protein, and 10% carbs, roughly. It varies quite a bit from day to day, but that's kind of the outline.