what is the best ratio on fat protien and carbs?

Options
2»

Replies

• tanyaltrl
    tanyaltrl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    According to Dr. Doug Graham, Dr. McDougall, Dr. Neal Barnard and others its closer to 80% carbs 10% fat 10% protein. Just throwing that out there...
  • dcdcdcdenisedcdcdc
    dcdcdcdenisedcdcdc Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's amazing that no one agrees on this. I guess you have to try different things to see what works. I like the one poster who said you're in the ZONE with 40p 30c 30f. I going to try a little more protein and a little less carbs, on the ZONE!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    tanyaltrl wrote: »
    According to Dr. Doug Graham, Dr. McDougall, Dr. Neal Barnard and others its closer to 80% carbs 10% fat 10% protein. Just throwing that out there...

Vegan guys.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I like about .8g of protein per pound of body weight, .3-.35g for fat, and the rest in carbs. I end up getting closer to 1g or higher per pound of body weight in protein though just because I like protein...a lot.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Vegan guys.

I go for about 1gm/lb of bodyweight, which works out to about 30% of my calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options

If you're someone who finds this filling, then go for it. Other vegans prefer 60 20 20.
  • JmeJinxx
    JmeJinxx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'd love to get to 40/30/30 but I struggle with protein unless I use a powder supplement. My goals right now are 45c/30f/25p.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I'm attempting to do 40C 30 F 30 Protein, But darn, its hard to cut that fat! Any suggestions on that?

When I started reducing saturated fat last year, overall fat naturally reduced as well. I had less eggs and cheese, and eliminated coconut oil. I eat a lot of chicken, some fish, and little red meat.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    roughly 30 30 and 30? to equal 100%
    it seems like the paleo and atkins are the diets that are helping people to lose weight.
    they have some differences, but basically it seems the ratio of protein carbs and fat and not too different. What do you think? How do you set your daily nutrition goals to lose weight?!!!!

That only adds up to 90%.

If you are vegetarian, many of your calories are going to come from carbs since fruits and veggies are carbs.

Why not just stick to the MFP default?
  • jim4004
    jim4004 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For me to achieve about 20 carbs a day on Atkins-20, I set my percentages to Carbs: 5% / Fat: 65% / Protein: 30%. At 1600 Calories, that gives me 20 grams of carbs, 116 grams of fat, and 120 grams of protein. I sometimes bring my calorie count as low as 1,450 a day. I've lost 54 lbs in 4 months with light exercise. My wife uses Keto-strips as well to make sure she stays in Ketosis.
  • oksoitsjen
    oksoitsjen Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm on 40c/30f/30p... So, I guess in in the Zone! Ha. I have had a very hard time staying within my fat goal everyday, but I don't go over on calories. I'm only busting on the macro side. BUT, I also have a hard time hitting my protein goal... It's a process but I really enjoy the flexibility that comes with the Macro type lifestyle.
  • oksoitsjen
    oksoitsjen Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm attempting to do 40C 30 F 30 Protein, But darn, its hard to cut that fat! Any suggestions on that?

I'm trying too! I honestly spend tons of time looking for fat free snacks... If I can keep my snacks with little to no fat I seem to do a better job of not going over... Fat free Fage yogurt is my favorite thing right now. I usually add 2 tbs of sugar free chocolate syrup and splenda. Totally packed with other crap, but it's working for me right now!
  • DebKDrake
    DebKDrake Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Babies grow faster than we do and need nutrition to build tissue and bones and nerves. Mother's milk is about 5% protein. As adults the mitochondria make energy from carbohydrates. It can turn protein into carbohydrates to be used for energy but that requires a process that is hard on the liver and kidneys and is acidic to the body. The body then compensates by pulling minerals, from the bones if necessary, to alkalize which often leads to osteoporosis.
    We really don't need as much protein as people think. But even starchy vegetables like potatoes, rice and corn and wheat all have about 8-12% protein. That's all we need but we will get more from beans which can be 28% protein.
    We need more fiber and nutrients which are found in vegetables and starches. There aren't very many vitamins and minerals found in fat and protein. That leaves people 'hungry and craving' even when they've eaten enough calories. They're craving the starches, fiber and nutrients.
    They also found that it is protein and fat that cause insulin resistance. When diabetics cut them down to just what is found in vegetables, they usually have to cut back on insulin within a few days and often come off insulin altogether despite eating 80% carbs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fat. For YEARS. If I ever do a contest again, I'll likely do a stricter diet which is lower in carbs for 8 weeks. But not looking at doing that right now!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    DebKDrake wrote: »
    Babies grow faster than we do and need nutrition to build tissue and bones and nerves. Mother's milk is about 5% protein. As adults the mitochondria make energy from carbohydrates. It can turn protein into carbohydrates to be used for energy but that requires a process that is hard on the liver and kidneys and is acidic to the body. The body then compensates by pulling minerals, from the bones if necessary, to alkalize which often leads to osteoporosis.
    We really don't need as much protein as people think. But even starchy vegetables like potatoes, rice and corn and wheat all have about 8-12% protein. That's all we need but we will get more from beans which can be 28% protein.
    We need more fiber and nutrients which are found in vegetables and starches. There aren't very many vitamins and minerals found in fat and protein. That leaves people 'hungry and craving' even when they've eaten enough calories. They're craving the starches, fiber and nutrients.
    They also found that it is protein and fat that cause insulin resistance. When diabetics cut them down to just what is found in vegetables, they usually have to cut back on insulin within a few days and often come off insulin altogether despite eating 80% carbs.

Right out of the vegan playbook.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    Options
    Really old thread. I’m usually on around 65 carbs, rest whereever it falls. Protein is a reflux trigger and fat satiates not at all, thus usually just cooking oil, cheese, what’s naturally in veg, leaner meat, bread, etc
  • kshama2001
    Options

Paging @AnnPT77 for a fact check.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options

I'd intended to comment on this when I had time, even before being whistled into the thread. I can't imagine why someone would wake up a 2016 zombie thread to post it.

There are a lot of things in this post that are misleading at best, howlingly inaccurate at worst. I'm not going to pick all of that apart.

Let's just say this: It completely ignores things like bioavailability and completeness of protein, which matter. Among other problems.

Fully plant based eating can be done healthfully, and it's only mildly more difficult to get good nutrition fully plant based - for an intelligent person who's paying attention - than it is when eating as an omnivore. (I'm a vegetarian, BTW, not an omni.) The average person would be better off nutritionally getting much more of their eating from plants, absolutely.

If someone wants to explore vegan nutrition, this is a good evidence-based source:

https://veganhealth.org/

This is one case where I agree with neanderthin: The quoted post is predominantly vegan advocacy claims, not well-founded.