Macro followers for protein

Options
I see people suggesting foods that have protein, but do any of you actually successfully get 40% of your daily macros from protein? And if so, can I follow you? I'm sick of chicken, and one can only eat so much egg whites, cottage cheese, and Greek yogurt. Thanks!

Replies

• JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Feel free to follow me I regularly hit 35 to 40% (200g) of my intake without the use of protein shakes. Not that there is anything wrong with them to supplement your intake, I just choose not too.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I eat high protein too. Diary is open. Sorry, nothing exotic in there, I just try to get a good variety of high-protein sources.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I would never, or advice anyone else to, eat 40% protein. Where did you get that idea? There are so many sources of protein, I eat: Beef, pork, lamb, chicken, tuna, salmon, mackerel, herring, trout, shrimp/scampi, mussels, milk, cheese, yogurt, eggs, beans and lentils; even grains and other vegetables have protein.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    My diary's open, feel free to check it out. :)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    40% is a tad unnecessary. 1 gram per pound of body weight is plenty for the average lifter. I weigh 125 and eat 130 grams of protein per day, which is about 25-30% of my daily intake. It's extremely easy to do.

I don't see why you think you need to stick to chicken, egg whites, cottage cheese, and Greek yogurt. Those are great protein sources, but any kind of meat or fish will have a nice protein punch. And then there's things like beans, peanut butter, cheese, and milk that have a decent amount and add up throughout the day. And then there's protein powder that you can throw into a shake, oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, baked goods, etc. Hitting protein goals are easy if you're a non-vegetarian/vegan, even at 40%.
  • danacondah
    danacondah Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I get 30% of my macros from protein if you care to follow :smile:
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I would never, or advice anyone else to, eat 40% protein. Where did you get that idea?

Where did you get that idea that one should not eat that amount of protein? I am on a 40/20/40 split and @ 175lbs based on this macro split and 1800 cals 40% protein works out to be 180g which equals out to the 1g / pound of body weight. that is recommended. Even when I up my cals to 2200 at this same split that equates to 220g but then again I am really putting my body thru hell so I need / feel better with that amount of protein. I hate that my carbs are so low but so far I am seeing great results with this macro split. And I will add that this split was from a licensed nutritionist that I sat down with one on one to go over my daily routine, and goals.

• ermontoy
    ermontoy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I see people suggesting foods that have protein, but do any of you actually successfully get 40% of your daily macros from protein? And if so, can I follow you? I'm sick of chicken, and one can only eat so much egg whites, cottage cheese, and Greek yogurt. Thanks!

Notorius...I have a few free apps which help me determine what foods I consume and why. MyFitnessPal (calorie counter and recipe maker)- A Great App!! for keeping keeping to a daily log and history of workouts/exercises and foods you've consumed to watch your intake progress. I love the way it also tracks my remaining calories throughout each food/exercise I post.

BodyCal (Body Composition Calculator)- Another Great App!! for getting an idea of where you currently are based on Body Mass, Fat Mass and Weight; as well as where you want to be. I follow the "reckless" program because I'm very particular on what I eat. The Calorie Expenditure Formula is confusing to me, so I just do the "suggested".

Other than these, It took me a little more research on my own to figure out what works best for my body type, size, gender, age. When I diet, I cut out all excessive sugars (creamers from coffee, sugar on strawberries, etc). Have fun with it, but know your limits. Feel free to reach out as well. I'm no stranger.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I see people suggesting foods that have protein, but do any of you actually successfully get 40% of your daily macros from protein?

No, because I don't think that would be particularly beneficial, so why bother.

I eat about 1700 calories and so that would be 170 grams of protein, and I'm only 125.

I aim for about .8 g/lb.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    OP. What are your goals?

For the average person looking to get in shape, drop excess fat, and have an average amount of muscle on their frame, the importance of protein is a bit overstated. Around .6-1 g/lb of LBM (or goal weight) is more than enough. Having a consistent calorie deficit and staying on a progressive resistance training program will do you worlds of good.

If your goals are loftier (bodybuilding and accumulating muscle mass towards your max genetic potential, powerlifting, etc.) then that advice may change.
  • NotoriousLink
    NotoriousLink Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    For those that think 40% is "unnecessary" or dangerous, perhaps you should look into the differences in ratios of macronutrients that varies, based on the type of athlete you are. Runners/high cardio athletes, for example need much more carbs than, say a lifter (like myself).
    I average 30% protein so far, but it has been difficult to get protein without increasing my fat (my crux is cow's milk).

For those that actually gave me suggestions and offered me to follow them, thank you!
  • NotoriousLink
    NotoriousLink Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I got my "idea" from a professional trainer, along with additional research by myself. ;)
    I think I'll increase my fish! I love seafood.
  • NitaGrobler42
    NitaGrobler42 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would never, or advice anyone else to, eat 40% protein. Where did you get that idea?

Where did you get that idea that one should not eat that amount of protein? I am on a 40/20/40 split and @ 175lbs based on this macro split and 1800 cals 40% protein works out to be 180g which equals out to the 1g / pound of body weight. that is recommended. Even when I up my cals to 2200 at this same split that equates to 220g but then again I am really putting my body thru hell so I need / feel better with that amount of protein. I hate that my carbs are so low but so far I am seeing great results with this macro split. And I will add that this split was from a licensed nutritionist that I sat down with one on one to go over my daily routine, and goals.

Can you pls help me work out my calories and macros?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Can you pls help me work out my calories and macros?

You'd get more and better responses starting a new thread than asking for help on someone else's.

That said, this thread here should tell you what you need to know.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets#latest