It's pink shirt day. Were you bullied at school?

Options
2»

Replies

• PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I was bullied in middle school, it got so bad my doctor decided it would be better if he said I had mono and finished 8th grade at home. The school district decided to send me to a smaller high school for troubled students to get away from them. They never got in trouble and I was the one being punished just for existing. It made me an overly kind person who wants to help everyone and anyone but it also affected me in ways I'll never know. I missed out on a lot in high school because of it.
  • bootqueenmfp
    bootqueenmfp Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    From a small town and my dad is a politician...... I was a bit of a princess :) i did bully a little bit...(filled the smelly kids locker with deodorant) called this one chic bat lady Cuz she wore all black ........ Now I'm a teacher for kids with behavioral disorders..... How time changes u....
  • RedLipsRedDress
    RedLipsRedDress Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the advice, and I hope some of the people who replied would see this.
    First of all, this was so not about pink shirts. Did I say anything about wearing pink except for pointing out the fact that this is what the day was called? Keep calm.
    Then, I don't understand why I should feel guilty about being sensitive. Even my parents would offend me all the time before I even started going to school and this is how I started thinking I wasn't worthy. They say they wanted me to become strong and ambitious ... It was still bad parenting, and now I know there's nothing wrong with me.
    To those who deal with problems by beating up others, I've got nothing to say.
    And to those of you who said not to make my kid fat, I don't think that was offensive and I actually get it. I'm doing my best, and now that I am on this journey of eating healthy and being active, I wouldn't let anyone in my family get fat. I like the idea of martial art classes. Maybe we'll start going together when she's old enough. Martial arts not only teach you how to fight back but also how to control your anger and channel your emotions.
    P.S. This topic was just moved to motivation and support and I had a hard time finding it
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I had several mean boys in my life, from grade school to high school. I can remember so clearly the first time they made me cry, I can remember the days I just wanted to die rather than continue to be in my body that these guys hated so much. I wasn't even that overweight at the time, but that didn't matter. Biggest (tall and chubby) girl in class, got boobs before all the other girls, and in high school it was bandwagon boys being absolutely awful at the back of the bus. Even if I sat in the front they'd holler from the back. Only once did I get the satisfaction of an apology and the only reason is because the boy had made me cry on the bus and I basically yelled at the driver until she let me off (totally against the rules, she wasn't legally allowed to let me off away from my stop) and she'd noted the ring leader and spoken to his dad- a teacher at our school. It was a hand written note delivered to me via the driver. I can't say I ever actually believed it to be sincere. That boy never bothered me again but that didn't stop his friends.

My best defense was being as withdrawn as possible. I made an art out of being unnoticed. It has absolutely carried into my adult life, these experiences are a key to how I see myself and how I feel about myself. I can know they were just being cruel, but I still know they were right. Their voices are the voices in my head.
  • RedLipsRedDress
    Options
    @brb_2013 why do you think they were right? I'm so sorry to what happened to you
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I was bullied for a bit as a freshman in high school by a couple of older guys on the varsity football team. They'd steal my lunch on two-a-day practices and de-pants me and shove me in lockers and whatnot. One day I had enough and when they came after me in the locker room I took a folding chair over the head and across the face of one of them...that was pretty much the end of that...and I got my PB&J back too.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I never really got bullied but I was always the outcast. My parents moved around a LOT when I was growing up and I was always the new kid in school. Add to this that I was already overweight, wore glasses, and my parents were poor and I got better grades in general and read at a higher level. I never really had friends until l left school.

But it's okay now because I see several people occasionally who gave me a hard time and they're all working crap jobs and are overweight and I've got a pretty good career making a good salary and have lost lots of weight. What goes around and all that. :)
  • backontheattack
    backontheattack Posts: 3,178 Member
    Options
    @brb_2013 your post saddens me. However I can relate..

I was bullied when I was younger for having cancer, I was in grade 5. It continued until I moved Cities. Then I was bullied for being bigger, or having short hair, or dating a guy. I would get on the bus and it would start. I would get off the bus then it continues at home. From hearing I wish the cancer killed me, to being a slut, fat or ugly. So I can relate how being withdrawn was a good option. I use to hide in my room when my parents had friends over so my dad wouldn't make fun of me in front of people.

The point is, they were not right then nor are they right now. Every person has worth and is important. I am stronger and more stubborn then ever. Going through that experience in my past made my present stronger and brighter. It took me a long time and a lot of counselling to get like that.

Don't give up on yourself, see your worth and value.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    @brb_2013 why do you think they were right? I'm so sorry to what happened to you

Well l I was chubby and only ever got fatter. Their words were never inaccurate only cruel. To this day I can't pass a mirror without a few of their words crossing my mind. I'm still working on healing myself.

It's a huge reason why I don't use Facebook. I was their lone target so seeing that they so easily moved on with life is incredibly disheartening.

Its interesting to see how many girls get bullied by girls, I never did experience that. It was only ever the boys. The girls weren't my friends, but at least they weren't mean about it. Until I started my period, had one crappy run in with the more popular girls in the bathroom. You can't really cover up the sound of opening and applying a maxi pad.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Where I grew up bullying was a common everyday event. The teachers turned a blind eye to the whole thing & that didn't help matters. I too had a father that told me & my bro to suck it up buttercup & defend yourself. You had to make a choice stand-up or get pushed around constantly. Unfortunately the bullies would gang up on you like 3 to 1. I had to wait & catch up with them one @ a time. Once they felt my fist in there face slowly but surely they got the message. Sad but true...
  • RedLipsRedDress
    Options
    @brb_2013 I also had problems with boys mostly. Sometimes girls mocked my clothes but were never that aggressive.
    I find the "slut" shaming strange because I have never ever seen anyone at school mock a girl for sleeping with someone or posting pics in underwear. Kids in my country tend to be cruel to virgins more often than not.
    @backontheattack As a person who works in oncology , I can't believe what you said! Now i remembered one of the meanest boys in my class got sick when we were 17, he had Ewing sarcoma and needed palliative surgeries. Everyone in the class donated money, even me. We all cried and went to church when he passed away. How could anyone laugh at cancer?!
  • backontheattack
    backontheattack Posts: 3,178 Member
    Options
    @helenapanda

it was the early 90s, and there wasn't very many cases of ALL around. So I like to believe it was the fear of not knowing what it was exactly or understanding it.
  • GrooveMerchant
    GrooveMerchant Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Mercilessly. Although there was a day when my big brother pinned the head *kitten* against the hood of his own car and told him to leave me alone, which was pretty rad.
    One of my biggest regrets though was just taking it, and feeling ashamed/embarrassed by it. I should have fought back. But I've thought on it as an adult, and it just doesn't really matter to me anymore. If face to face with any of those people now, I wouldn't even bring it up. They hold no power over me.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Girls are much more vicious when it comes to bulling other girls. They know exactly what insecurities all girls face and they have no trouble exploiting those insecurities in other girls. In some cases for their own amusement.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    Girls are much more vicious when it comes to bulling other girls. They know exactly what insecurities all girls face and they have no trouble exploiting those insecurities in other girls. In some cases for their own amusement.

Yeah. I feel like the boys would call me a b- or call me fat and I could just shrug it off. But somehow with the girls...a lot of them were my friends first, or so I thought, and that made it hard. I struggled all the way from about 4th grade through high school not really having too many close friends who I could trust. Or those that did were outside my classes. So going to my classes was like a nightmare of being alone and feeling ostracized. I got my curves a lot sooner than a lot of my fellow classmates and felt fat and clumsy. Looking back I wasn't even overweight but I remember really resenting my chest. It never really "got" me boys, all the thinner girls were considered much more conventionally attractive. It just felt like something in my way that drew more attention to me, and like other women here I just wanted to hide and blend in.

It's crazy what growing up did. It probably wasn't until after college when I got married and started working full time that I really stopped caring what other people thought of me, especially in regards to appearance. Not to say I don't get self conscious or have anxiety but I wish teenage me had HALF the confidence I have today.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I was definitely bullied as a kid. I was an ugly duckling: small, tubby, braces, frizzy hair, unibrow, and a total teachers pet and bookworm. The bullying only got worse because I would always talk back and be a smartass in self-defense. I've been beat up by several girls at a time, had things stolen from me, some boys once held me and punched me in the gut, and a kid smashed my face into a tree and broke my nose.

It definitely messed with me for years and to this day, I think it has shaped a lot of my personality. I'm very self-assured and intelligent and own my personality and make lots of friends and when I was single, never had trouble getting dates, so people maybe don't perceive me as someone who was bullied. I am still very much a bookworm and am most comfortable being a loner where it feels safest, I suppose. I still am very skeptical of new people, especially if they take a liking to me, and I definitely put up a lot of walls.

I did eventually strike back and when I did, I wailed on a girl who tried to knock me over a bench. Guess you could say I had a lot of pent up aggression. I ended up taking karate as a kid and excelling at it, and enjoyed solo sports like running and now I enjoy archery.

I'd gladly give up a little of knowing I could take a punch and dole it back out, physically and verbally if it meant I didn't have to go through half of what I did as a kid.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Yep. I was a full head taller than everyone in the class starting in Kindergarten. The teachers wouldn't accept me in the class on the first day. They tried to send me to the second floor to the fifth grade classrooms. It took some convincing, but they finally believed I was who I said I was and accepted that my name was on the Kindergarten roster. Not a good start.

This sounds familiar. :) I started school a year early, but was still far bigger than everyone else until I skipped 8th grade. At that point everybody had 2 years on me and some of the boys were taller.

The other annoying problem that I had was that the ladies in the office would never believe that my sister was related to me as we give the impression of being different races. Nope--full siblings! They would never let me pick up her school pictures, etc.

I was definitely teased, especially when I was very young...but I don't know if I would call it bullying. I have always been big, strong and clever, so I'm not a great target in any way. I never actually had to beat anyone up...but looking like I could was helpful.