coconut oil

Options
13»

Replies

• Karihappy
    Karihappy Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it, nor want to, but my sister-in-law swears she lost close to 30 pounds doing nothing but ODing on coconut oil. To each their own.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Karihappy wrote: »
    I haven't done it, nor want to, but my sister-in-law swears she lost close to 30 pounds doing nothing but ODing on coconut oil. To each their own.

Yuck :s
  • Dekayla13
    Dekayla13 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It's a great hair mask too :)
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Lubricant. But it changes the PH a bit in a way unfriendly to swimmers so not recommended when you are actively trying to reproduce.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    One tablespoon in my bulletproof coffee. Many people dislike low-carb/keto, but it's helpful in keeping me within my calorie goals.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Lubricant. But it changes the PH a bit in a way unfriendly to swimmers so not recommended when you are actively trying to reproduce.

The smoking point?!?! ;)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Anyone using coconut oil for weight loss?

@mariesmiles66 I use coconut oil as part of my Low Carb High Fat diet since 80% of my calories comes from fats. The main reason started using coconut oil was to see if it would reduce my joint and muscle pain but I was doing everything at the same time. I cut out sugar and all forms of grains and used coconut oil to make up some of the calories lost from sugar and grains. 30 days later my pain was well managed and still is 18 months later.

Coconut oil it calorie dense as are all fats but it is part of my weight loss program because I lost and kept from regaining fat for over a year now on LCHF Way Of Eating.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Maaike84 wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand the health hype around coconut oil. Sure, it stands up better against high heat than olive oil and I might use it for taste reasons when I am cooking a curry, but it is quite high in saturated fat. I'm not an expert, but I've read that it's probably the least healthy of all the vegetable oils.

Re: the saturated fat in coconut oil it isn't as bad as you think, but still doesn't compare well to other vegetable oils. I don't use vegetable oils though I have a preference for other types.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/coconut-oil

@tiptoethruthetulips while the article from 5 years ago said coconut impact on health were not fully known we now know it is good for the heart while soybean oil is not.
  • DeadLift5
    DeadLift5 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hype around coconut oil stems from the MCT's (medium chain triglycerides) in it.
    It is a saturated fat that is easily metabolized, meaning as long as your active it will be readily used for energy while boosting your body's fat metabolism (among other things like joint lubrication).
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yes - most Keto folks use it! :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yep, I drink a cup of day to get my MCT's. :) and add that to coffee and butter and you got bulletproof coffee.... YUCK.