How old is too old to wear...

Options
stephanielynn76
stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
those blue-jean cut-off shorts... you know the ones that are kinda short but not so short you've got butt-cheeks hanging out??? LOL

I tried on a pair of those the other day in Express. I thought they were pretty cute and came close to buying them but ended up putting them back. I'm just not sure ya know. I'll be 35 in a few months. I'm wondering if that will just look weird on someone my age??? I don't want to have people saying, "Look at that 30-something chick trying to look like she's 17." Or maybe it's perfectly fine and I'm just being paranoid???

What got me questioning this is the older very well-to-do woman in my town who dresses way too young for her age. She's in her 60's and wears these above-the-knee halter-top/backless dresses that, imo, look like they were made for a 20-something. I have heard more than one person comment on how unbecoming her wardrobe is. Sure... she has a nice figure for a woman her age... but just because you can wear something.... doesn't mean you should!

What's your opinion?

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    If you've got the legs to show off, DO IT!
  • Cornock
    Cornock Posts: 254
    Options
    Paranoid :wink:

If you feel comfortable and look good then you should wear what you like.

I think the best thing a woman wears is confidence!
  • cowpacino
    cowpacino Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    depends on if you have mom-*kitten* or not
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Do you look 35?
    Do you think the shorts would look trashy on a young girl?

If it looks good on you, you should be fine.

I mean....most shorts are either rather short, or bermuda...
  • tinkerbell1964
    Options
    hmmm difficult one this , i'm 46 but i don't look my age and i don't dress my age , i dress in clothes that make me happy, and if folk don't like it, it's their problem ................. p.s. i'd never dress like teenager or 20 something :wink:
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    With your body? WEAR THEM!!!! (and share the abs!)
  • MB1967
    MB1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi,

If you like them and look as good in them, then I say go for it.

Your opinion and the way you feel is the one that counts.

judging by your photos, I don`t think you have anything to worry about anyway...

Have a great day :smile:
  • tinkerbell1964
    Options

I concur, it's all about the confidence !
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    If you look good in them buy them,
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Stephanie,

There is cute :flowerforyou: , there is sexy :love: , and then there is just plain omg :noway: that's :indifferent: gross :sick: !
    Somehow I don't think you could ever fall into the latter category.

So, if it looks good on you, you like it, and it's not indecent... knock yourself out. You might want a second (your husband's) or third (a teenage girl's) opinion just to be sure.

Then, road test it and listen for whispers from the old biddies as you walk by. My guess is you may only be stuck with cat-calls.

Just in case... you could always save the receipt. :laugh:

>Rob
  • stephanielynn76
    Options
    Well thanks yall. Maybe I was just being paranoid. I would never have even considered them before because they wouldn't have been flattering. My legs aren't perfect. I still have stretch marks and a bit of cellulite but the tan I've gotten bringing the kids out to the pool every day has made that stuff less noticeable. Most of my wardrobe is quite young looking but still very modest. :)
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    I think with in reason they would be ok. I'm one of those people that swear by no mini-skirts after 30. There are still plenty of acceptable, hot, amazing, ways to dress that don't boarder being from the juniors department.

Furthermore, when shopping, if you don't love it and feel 100% comfortable in it no matter where you'd be wearing it, then I wouldn't buy it. Save your money for something else.
  • stephanielynn76
    Options
    Stephanie,

There is cute :flowerforyou: , there is sexy :love: , and then there is just plain omg :noway: that's :indifferent: gross :sick: !
    Somehow I don't think you could ever fall into the latter category.

So, if it looks good on you, you like it, and it's not indecent... knock yourself out. You might want a second (your husband's) or third (a teenage girl's) opinion just to be sure.

Then, road test it and listen for whispers from the old biddies as you walk by. My guess is you may only be stuck with cat-calls.

Just in case... you could always save the receipt. :laugh:

>Rob

Thanks Rob... you've always got great advice and words of encouragement! :)
  • PandaFit450
    PandaFit450 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

I totally agree!!
  • stephanielynn76
    Options
    I think with in reason they would be ok. I'm one of those people that swear by no mini-skirts after 30. There are still plenty of acceptable, hot, amazing, ways to dress that don't boarder being from the juniors department.

Furthermore, when shopping, if you don't love it and feel 100% comfortable in it no matter where you'd be wearing it, then I wouldn't buy it. Save your money for something else.

Hmmmm.... that's the thing.... wouldn't mini-skirts sorta be on par with these??? And by the way... you are still young my friend. When you get to 30 you're going to think... "Gosh... what's the big deal about 30... I don't feel 'old' at all!!!" It sounds old when your 23... but when you get there (and beyond)... you sometimes feel like you are still 23!!!
  • DBabbit
    DBabbit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! I say buy the shorts and strut your stuff!
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    As long as your chicken doesn't hang out! =)
  • stephanielynn76
    Options
    As long as your chicken doesn't hang out! =)

Ok... call me a dummy... what does that mean???
  • GiniN
    GiniN Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic, go for it! If you are not sure, why don't you get them and wear at home for a few days?

As someone who is on the other side of 50 years old, I look back at my picture from 15, 20, or 25 years ago and remember how critical I was of myself. But now I see those pix and think I look just fine, and in some pictures real good!

I GUARANTEE that in the future you will look back at your pictures from now and realize how great you look!!!

So get those shorts and wear 'em!

Peace...
  • melseid
    melseid Posts: 12
    Options
    Okay, wait, are your pictures here really you? If so, it seems a little odd to me that you have pictures up here in this public forum of you wearing practically underwear and you're concerned about a little frayed denim. I'm not criticizing your pictures. My opinion is that you look COMPLETELY amazing and "rules" about mini- anythings were not meant for people like you. I think at our age it's more about making sure a whole ensemble isn't trashy... mostly so you don't end up on a website that highlights clueless Wal-mart shoppers.

... and, I mean absolutely no disrespect to snkeller24 (another fit beauty, to be sure!), but I too think the 20-somethings should steer clear of making clothing rules for places they haven't been yet. That's like my non-parent friends giving me parent advice. By all means hold your opinions, then we will talk again when you've been there.

Yours,
    A frayed denim wearing 35 year old

PS- They're not stretch marks. They're your tiger stripes. ;-)