Brussel sprouts

Options
13»

Replies

• maphammonds
    maphammonds Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    They're super yummy in coleslaw too instead of cabbage. Trim and shred 1/2 pound, mix with 2 TBS mayo, 1/2 tsp sugar, handful of shaved baby carrots and 1/2 TBS balsamic vinegar with black pepper to taste.

We had 18 plants in our garden last year. My teenage daughter liked to trim the leaves, spray with cooking oil and lightly salt and bake at 400 for about 8 minutes. They were as good as any potato chips :)
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    bmhorton12 wrote: »
    What is the best way to fix Brussel sprouts? I'm in week 2 of my weight loss journey and I really want to try new things. I like most vegetables I've tried, but I have never tried Brussel sprouts. I have no idea how to cook them or what I should add to them to healthfully enhance their flavor. Help please!

These are my favorite veggies!!!

I love to roast them in the oven with just a LITTLE olive oil, sprinkled with garlic/salt/pepper OR rosemary/lemon OR italian seasoning/Parmesan cheese
  • smit7633
    smit7633 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Cut in half, wrap in tin foil, douse with a little olive oil and Montreal steak seasoning, close up the tin foil roast in the oven at 375 for 20 minutes!!
  • rickb0309
    rickb0309 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Roasted with nothing but a little salt is so delicious. Why add calories by gilding the lily with bacon or other fats? An alternate preparation as a change of pace is to buy some baby brussel sprouts - they sell them here in a little netting package - and then put in a pot with some low fat chicken stock. Imparts a nice flavor as well.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I like a roasted till crispy on the outside after a good sesame ginger dressing toss. Oh and more ginger and garlic and evoo too.
  • rwm629
    rwm629 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    rwm629 wrote: »

So this was good, but I have to agree with the crowd consensus. Roasting is better because you get the crispy texture.
  • overw8gosk8
    overw8gosk8 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Everyone loves the roasted Brussels. Here here!! I like to roast them and then toss them in a stir fry. I also like to add them to sauerkraut or sauté them with carrots and onions until slightly caramelized.
  • Brendakasi
    Brendakasi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Paula Deen says she roasts them for a short time. Then she puts them in a skillet to get them crunchy. She uses olive oil and a little butter. I think she said she peppers them too. I don't remember exactly, but you could probably find it online if you were interested. I plan to try it soon.
  • JHALLISGETTINGsmall
    JHALLISGETTINGsmall Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yum. I cook these in a pan on the stove. Put a little water, turn the heat up and cover the pan. Let it simmer for about 5-7 min. Then Drain. Then I spray pam on it, add onions and garlic. Sauté until they are some what charred. That's the best way I like them!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing as everyone else. Roasting with some diced bacon at 400 for about 30 minutes. When they come out of the oven I'll toss them with a little balsamic.

When I steam them I like to add a little apple cider vinegar to water. Gives it a nice acidy flavor.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I microwave them in a covered dish first, for up to about 5 minutes, then roast them in bacon fat and bacon bits, with salt and pepper to taste. It's even better if you add some radicchio, and even better with radicchio and roasted chestnuts. The very best is to use olive oil instead of bacon fat, and prosciutto instead of bacon, and add the radicchio and chestnuts.
  • tlr5859
    tlr5859 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Since you have never had them before please understand the farts will come like the winter in game of thrones. Just wanted to make sure you were ready. Good journey

LMAO... Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!
    I love me some brussel sprouts too.
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Im going to try some of these suggestions. I love veggies but brussel sprouts are a no go for me.
  • BeaUtiful_1413
    BeaUtiful_1413 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I LOVE brussel sprouts. There really good if you fry them in a pan with some butter, little onion, and chop up some bacon cook it and BAM! So good lol
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Im going to try some of these suggestions. I love veggies but brussel sprouts are a no go for me.

Since my 8 year old loves them (where she wants them daily) I'm sure you would too! Especially just simply roasted with olive oil, s & p and raw chopped bacon on top.