March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 - You know, with all the butt squeezing and pelvis thrusting going on here, people might start getting the wrong idea!!:lol:
    Runners go long and fast?
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Mo' miles! Yes, another 5 miles. Yes, I ran 5 miles yesterday too. And 5 the day before that. And 5 every day this month except for my rest day and a long run. Yes, I am stuck on 5 miles. Yes, I am perfectly happy with that. Yes, I am doing it all again next week.

High 5!:smile:

3/1 - 5 miles
    3/2 - 5 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - Rest
    3/5 - 12 miles
    3/6 - 5 miles
    3/7 - 5 miles
    3/8 - 5 miles
    3/9 - 5 miles
    3/10 - 5 miles

52/150 Miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning hahahaha.... Yeah. Running can get a little interesting some times.

@skippygirlsmom That's funny about Skip. Yeah, in Sunday's race, my first mile split was a 6:15 and I was thinking.. hmmm that might have been a little bit too fast. But it was fun... until my last mile split. LOL

@MNLittleFinn Runners go long and har.... Never mind, I like fast better. :lol:
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn That sounds about right. I can probably run a 6:15-6:20 mile and conversational pace for me is anywhere from 8:15 to 8:45. I test myself by practicing Arabic on the run or singing along to what I'm listening to, usually.

@WhatMeRunning 5 miles is a good distance. It's my favorite "short" run length. Easy to break up mentally, not too time consuming... High 5 for sure!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn That sounds about right. I can probably run a 6:15-6:20 mile and conversational pace for me is anywhere from 8:15 to 8:45. I test myself by practicing Arabic on the run or singing along to what I'm listening to, usually.
    I might try singing along to what I'm listening to this week. Sometimes I get so in the zone that I forget I can do that....I really don't want to attempt practicing Russian while running......
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

I am doing the "butt quarter" thing now and when I use the elliptical I set it on the glute setting. I suspect my weakest link is my ankles..not sure if there's anything I can do to target those, I tend to feel soreness around that area more. (I'm not feeling the hip soreness as much anymore..yeah!) I'm guessing by "locking" my hips you just mean to try and make sure I'm not swiveling them as I run? My cadence is not very fast though..not sure what will speed that up except lots and lots more running?

What I mean by locking your hips forward... hmmm... how do I put this?

OK all you other people, close your eyes for a second. lol you press your pelvis forward... like sex. :blush: lol but lock it forward, don't go back and forth. This keeps your entire pelvis and back and neck all lined up straight. I notice that when i did that combined with the "butt quarter" thing, I was much much more efficient and running became easier (therefore i was faster) and because this position forces you to use your upper thighs more, you get more power out of each stride and you get a naturally faster cadence.

The other thing that is important is that you have to keep everything else relaxed. Your knees are relaxed, your shoulders and neck are relaxed, your fists are relaxed (imagine holding a raw egg in each hand) as you run.

I had no idea what you were talking about until this description. I will have to pay attention on my next run (hopefully tomorrow) and see if this is something I do or not. I would imagine it would come almost second nature since it sounds like what I mean when I tell my yoga classes to hold a pelvic tilt... We shall see.
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - My current fastest mile (not run as just a mile but part of a tempo interval workout) is 9:07. My easy pace is around 11:30 to 12:30. So that offset seems to work for me as well.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift: Well, if you do decide to do the Cedar Point race, please let me know how it is! That run, and their beer fest, are two Cedar Point bucket list items for me. :smile: Also, an early congrats on your upcoming graduation!

@skippygirlsmom: Thanks for the words of encouragement. It sounds like you know exactly what I'm going through. I felt awesome after my half, but in these few weeks after, I just can't seem to be able to run! I am super slow, quick to exhaust, and generally feel like I and my lungs are made of lead! I'm pushing through, and I should be training for my upcoming 15K, but I'm not sure I could comfortably complete a 5K at this point!
    Also, that is super-awesome and quite about Skip's PE adventures!
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @instantmartian - I actually wound up getting injured about 2 weeks after my first half. I spent the first week doing a lot of resting and only some very short runs. I tried getting back up in mileage a bit more that second week and by the end of that week had to take a month off due to foot pain.

I think those first events can take a bigger toll than anticipated sometimes. In my case, and in most cases, it is the first time you go that particular distance. And since it's a race you run in at a faster pace normally than you might do a training run. Add all that together and you really take a beating.

Also, after a few weeks off you have begun to lose some of that conditioning, so you have to work again to get built up. It's easier than starting over though, and as long as you are committed and keep trying, you'll bounce back. It can help to have goals to look forward to. It's easy to feel like you have no reason to run after your big race.

ETA - If that wasn't your first half, then I guess none of that applies. I was assuming it was. Might not have been though!:smile:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Love that skip is that fast, just stringing them all along behind her! Too cute she won't run her fastest.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @instantmartian - I actually wound up getting injured about 2 weeks after my first half. I spent the first week doing a lot of resting and only some very short runs. I tried getting back up in mileage a bit more that second week and by the end of that week had to take a month off due to foot pain.

I think those first events can take a bigger toll than anticipated sometimes. In my case, and in most cases, it is the first time you go that particular distance. And since it's a race you run in at a faster pace normally than you might do a training run. Add all that together and you really take a beating.

Also, after a few weeks off you have begun to lose some of that conditioning, so you have to work again to get built up. It's easier than starting over though, and as long as you are committed and keep trying, you'll bounce back. It can help to have goals to look forward to. It's easy to feel like you have no reason to run after your big race.

ETA - If that wasn't your first half, then I guess none of that applies. I was assuming it was. Might not have been though!:smile:

I agree. But if it's not @instantmartian you first then it may not apply. I laid around barely running after my first (only) for a month and it probably too me another month to get back at it. Then I couldn't hit the previous monthly mileage goal. Was zapped.
  • ErynVee
    ErynVee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    3.6 miles today. :) Hope you all are having a good one!

exercise.png
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 - You know, with all the butt squeezing and pelvis thrusting going on here, people might start getting the wrong idea!!:lol:
    Runners go long and fast?

No no....it's supposed to be loooooong and sloooooow ! :D

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    @instantmartian I know that slump after the half. Obviously, I've had some extenuating circumstances that have made running more difficult, time-wise, but I've also just not been performing well, either, imo. Today was the first run I've had in the past few weeks that didn't feel like someone had put lead weights in my drawers!

3/1.....3.0 @ 10:40 on the TM, plus strength training
    3/3....3.5 @ 11:25 on the TM
    3/5....4.5 @ 10:33 on the TM ( .5 walking and 4 @ 10:00, which I think is my farthest distance at that speed)
    3/8....4.5 @ 11:53 on the park trail
    3/9...2.5 @ 15:00ish walking the world's fattest, most slothful dog :)
    3/10...4.25 @ 11:37 on the rail trail near my house. It was so nice to be outside--and warm!--at 6 am!

exercise.png

• instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options

Elise4270 wrote: »
    I agree. But if it's not @instantmartian you first then it may not apply. I laid around barely running after my first (only) for a month and it probably too me another month to get back at it. Then I couldn't hit the previous monthly mileage goal. Was zapped.

That does make sense. It still doesn't explain my struggle on March 9, 2013, but I'll just ignore that and take this as the reason for my struggle! I just hope I bounce back sooner rather than later. My longest race distance before the half last month was a 15K last April (a week before I was out of commission for months due to a hip injury).

I live in Northeast PA, but my boyfriend rows out of one of the boathouses on Boathouse Row in Philly. I'll be headed down with him Saturday morning (super-duper early) to run along the river and Kelly Drive. That is one of my favorite places to run. The people-watching, alone, makes it totally worth it! I'm hoping, what is supposed to be my "long run" down there helps bring me out of my funk.

It was the third half I trained for, but the first I was able to actually complete due to injuries during my first two times training (once in 2011, once in 2015). Fortunately, I do have a goal to look forward to (my 15K in three weeks). It's a relatively flat course except for a short, steep hill at the finish line. (I hate when they do that!) At this point, I just hope I make it to and up that little hill!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I was much smarter after my HM in November and I did a recovery run the next day and I think that made a world of difference compared to my April HM.

I agree on the 2 minutes difference in race and conversational pace. I do the same thing when alone, I sing and talk to myself. I'm probably more like 1.5 minutes per mile difference but close enough.

That child does keep me on my toes. I can just see her out there running around the track with the football guys chasing her. Every high school girl's dream come true :wink:

I think I solved my super hero shirt problem for the 5K next month. I just ordered a few iron ons online and will iron them on a dri fit shirt. I looked all over, Academy, Dicks and online. Skip wanted Spiderman and plans to wear a tutu (this I need to see). I'm going to do Wonder Woman and there will be no tutu in my future ha ha.
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I seem to be suffering from muscle cramps the last few days, more than usual. I've made sure I'm getting electrolytes, even bought Gatorade and been having a NUUN tablet once in a while. I'm drinking plenty of water. I'm stretching, but that causes cramps too. All the cramps have been on my left, so I feel like it could be nerve related. But today my left hand also cramped..

Yesterday's run I made it almost 2 miles and was in marked discomfort. Stopped for NUUN water and made another attempt.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    So, today was a planned rest day, as I had a dental cleaning scheduled this morning (barring me from taking my lunch break to run or spin--I just absorb the lost time over the lunch hour rather than putting it in as "time off").

Anyway, I get to my dentist's office just before they open at 8am. I always schedule the first appointment of the day so I have no wait and can get out of there quick. So I didn't think anything of it when the door was still locked when I got there a little before 8--pretty standard. I sat in my truck and waited...and waited...and no one showed up. Around 8:10, I called the office number--DISCONNECTED. Perusing the internet, there was no indication that the office was closed. I finally stumbled upon a random Facebook post from a couple weeks ago saying something on the order of "How nice of Dr. XXXXXX to just up and leave with no warning."

So, no letter, no phone call, no sign on the door. They just up and shut down the practice without even notifying the patients who had scheduled appointments. Who does that? Even their billboards are still up around town.

So, in the end, I wasted over an hour of my time (between driving there, waiting, calling, etc, driving back to work). And now I feel cheated out of a workout. And I still have dirty teeth (ie, not professionally cleaned--I did brush this morning). GRRR...
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I think I solved my super hero shirt problem for the 5K next month. I just ordered a few iron ons online and will iron them on a dri fit shirt. I looked all over, Academy, Dicks and online. Skip wanted Spiderman and plans to wear a tutu (this I need to see). I'm going to do Wonder Woman and there will be no tutu in my future ha ha.

We demand pictures!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for March
    3/1 7.25 miles - 7.25
    3/2 4 miles - 11.25
    3/3 9 miles - 20.25
    3/4 3.5 miles - 23.75
    3/5 6.2 miles - 29.95
    3/6 2 miles - 31.95 << race warm-up
    3/6 5 miles - 36.95 << 8K race