March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    So, today was a planned rest day, as I had a dental cleaning scheduled this morning (barring me from taking my lunch break to run or spin--I just absorb the lost time over the lunch hour rather than putting it in as "time off").

Anyway, I get to my dentist's office just before they open at 8am. I always schedule the first appointment of the day so I have no wait and can get out of there quick. So I didn't think anything of it when the door was still locked when I got there a little before 8--pretty standard. I sat in my truck and waited...and waited...and no one showed up. Around 8:10, I called the office number--DISCONNECTED. Perusing the internet, there was no indication that the office was closed. I finally stumbled upon a random Facebook post from a couple weeks ago saying something on the order of "How nice of Dr. XXXXXX to just up and leave with no warning."

So, no letter, no phone call, no sign on the door. They just up and shut down the practice without even notifying the patients who had scheduled appointments. Who does that? Even their billboards are still up around town.

So, in the end, I wasted over an hour of my time (between driving there, waiting, calling, etc, driving back to work). And now I feel cheated out of a workout. And I still have dirty teeth (ie, not professionally cleaned--I did brush this morning). GRRR...

@ceciliaslater this is the type of thing that puts me over the top with people. How rude and inconsiderate of them. I get if the dentist left they are now unemployed but geesh like you said at least put up a note.

@GBrady43068 the race is in April, I'll be sure to do that. I usually don't "dress" for theme races, but my friends are making me feel guilty on this one.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    So, today was a planned rest day, as I had a dental cleaning scheduled this morning (barring me from taking my lunch break to run or spin--I just absorb the lost time over the lunch hour rather than putting it in as "time off").

Anyway, I get to my dentist's office just before they open at 8am. I always schedule the first appointment of the day so I have no wait and can get out of there quick. So I didn't think anything of it when the door was still locked when I got there a little before 8--pretty standard. I sat in my truck and waited...and waited...and no one showed up. Around 8:10, I called the office number--DISCONNECTED. Perusing the internet, there was no indication that the office was closed. I finally stumbled upon a random Facebook post from a couple weeks ago saying something on the order of "How nice of Dr. XXXXXX to just up and leave with no warning."

So, no letter, no phone call, no sign on the door. They just up and shut down the practice without even notifying the patients who had scheduled appointments. Who does that? Even their billboards are still up around town.

So, in the end, I wasted over an hour of my time (between driving there, waiting, calling, etc, driving back to work). And now I feel cheated out of a workout. And I still have dirty teeth (ie, not professionally cleaned--I did brush this morning). GRRR...

Oh dang! Bet he ran off with the secretary
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Princeton is just so beautiful. I want to try to find a job around here because it's such a great place to train! I absolutely love it (now that I have friends and a community; a year ago I hated it here because I felt so isolated!). And that's so funny about Skip. I can't wait for her next running season!
  • whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    So I totally bailed on last night's run... worked about 2 hours later than planned, then when I got home around 8pm just sat on the bed to read mfp for 5 minutes before going out to run... and totally passed out asleep . I decided to "listen to my body" and postpone it until today instead :)

Last night was supposed to be 10k at "race pace", aiming for my half in May. I don't really know what my race pace is yet, other than having some vague notion that I'd like to shoot for 2 hours. So, just decided to see if I could run the 10k at around 8:50 min miles tonight. Ended up doing a 10k PR - the last 5k got a bit crazy - with a time of 52:26, over 2.5 minutes quicker than my previous best.

Obviously I'm happy with the PR, but I need to learn to control my pace better by race day. I'm actually ok at it when I'm aiming for a slow run, it's easy to just completely back off. But anything quicker than 9 min miles and I'm all over the shop, no control whatsoever, with times ranging from 7:50 to 9:00. Given that I'll be aiming around the 9 min mark on race day, I need to get a bit of control over this or I'll risk burning out too fast.

still, 10k PR! Woop!

34 / 75 miles.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    3/1 - Last swim lesson with Davis
    3/2 - 3.28 Treadmill run
    3/3 - ** 3.27 Lunch walk
    3/4 - ** 2.11Lunch walk
    3/5 - 4.5 Sloan's Lake + ** .9 cool down
    3/6 - 2.92 Treadmill make-up run
    3/7 - Rest
    3/8 - 2.31 Treadmill run
    3/9 - ** 2.65 Lunch walk
    3/10 - 2.92 Lunch run

02/20 Snowman Stampede 10 mile race -cancelled due to injury
    3/26 Bunny Bolt 5k/10k...under consideration at the moment
    04/24 Graffiti Run with grandkids - "Memaw's Mini Posse" is our team name!
    04/30 Greenland Trail Race...8 mile
    05/15 Colfax Marathon (Half)
    08/07 Tri for the Cure Sprint Triathlon
    09/05 Labor Day Mini Marathon (Half)
    10/16 Rock-n-Roll Denver Half

**Ticker is RUN mileage only. Saving walking mileage if I need it to meet goal!**

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Princeton is just so beautiful. I want to try to find a job around here because it's such a great place to train! I absolutely love it (now that I have friends and a community; a year ago I hated it here because I felt so isolated!). And that's so funny about Skip. I can't wait for her next running season!

@kristinegift I remember when you weren't happy there. I'm so glad things have turned around. She's running outdoor track now, her first meet is Saturday. Her team has run 2 meets already, but she had other obligations that kept her from them. She told her Coach she wants to run the 800, 1600 and 3200. He said that's a lot, she said if I'm tired I'll skip the 3200 since that's boring on a 400m track. Smart girl!
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I forgot I had to brag/laugh on Skip. She's taking 9 weeks of PE this semester because she needed a 1/4 year class to match up with drivers ed. The teacher is her former XC/track coach and has them running a mile one day a week to see how they improve during the 9 weeks (plus other running). Most of the kids in the class are Juniors and Seniors. Well some of the boys who play football are making it their mission to beat her in the mile. She told me this week she ran a 7:40 mile and still killed them. LOL She said Coach told her since it's her last mile week to run her "real" mile time. She said Mom I couldn't embarrass them by running a 6:15 min mile I would have lapped almost everyone. She told the Coach, I have to go to school with these kids ha ha! I think she's loving the boy attention. But she cracks me up.

Too funny. She sounds like a great kid! I know you're really proud (and exasperated) with her.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    March goal—can I make 120 km?
    second half on 3/27—Dongguan Songshan First Annual
    3/1—3.31 km having trouble getting my butt out of bed.
    3/3—5.09 km
    3/4—7.01 km—dear self, remember if you’re going to run to use your inhaler, mmkay?
    3/7—3.9 km would have run more but yeah…excuses
    3/9—5.06 km
    3/11—5.22 km
  • lillymacki55
    lillymacki55 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

03/01 3.23
    03/02 3.19
    03/03 3.17
    03/04 3.27
    03/05 6.83
    03/06 8.15
    03/07 3.17
    03/08 3.43
    03/09 3.59
    03/19 6.25
    TOTAL 44.28

GOAL 100

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Options
    1---3.57 walk
    2---7.06
    3---3.55
    4---7.47 walk
    5---5.75
    6---3.03
    7--- work late, DOMS, rain
    8---work late, headache, rain
    9---6.61cramps
    10---5.05 cramps

42.11 miles/150 miles

Upcoming races:
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
    10/16/16 THAT dam half, Lewisville TX
    11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    Run the year 2016  252.19/ 2016
  • kcostner122312
    kcostner122312 Posts: 9 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Rough night tonight. But I got out there and got 3 more miles in.

3/6 - 3 miles
    3/7 - 3 miles
    3/8 - 3 miles
    3/9 - 3 miles
    3/10 - 3 miles

4/23 Kings Mountain Half Marathon

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, you all crack me up - @WhatMeRunning , @Stoshew71 . But seriously I am going to try that next run! I have so many things to concentrate on with Chi running, but at this point I can add one more.

@instantmartian - haha, holy posts! That's sort of what I thought when I just checked in tonight!

@skippygirlsmom - love the Skip story! I always love hearing about her antics. :smile:

@ceciliaslater - how rude! And how annoying that you wasted all that time. When I was a kid my mom took us to the pediatrician for our annual appt and we got there and found out he had died in a plane crash! He had his own personal plane I guess. This was an office on the first floor of his house, so I guess it was his wife who answered the door, IDK, was only about 6 but I never forgot it, because my mom was so upset. Sounds like I grew up in the mountains or something, but this was just outside of DC in Arlington. :wink:

I have been rather remiss in stretching and foam rolling after my runs. My calves are pretty tight and I really need to force myself to foam roller afterwards. I was really diligent about it for about 6 months after I hurt my IT band and then started getting lazy about it. I need a monthly foam rolling/stretching challenge.
  • ccnagain
    ccnagain Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Any good suggestions on wireless earphones. I'm wanting to switch but trying to decide between wireless in ear or headphone type...thoughts??
  • Elise4270
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    Oh my gosh, you all crack me up - @WhatMeRunning , @Stoshew71 . But seriously I am going to try that next run! I have so many things to concentrate on with Chi running, but at this point I can add one more.

@instantmartian - haha, holy posts! That's sort of what I thought when I just checked in tonight!

@skippygirlsmom - love the Skip story! I always love hearing about her antics. :smile:

@ceciliaslater - how rude! And how annoying that you wasted all that time. When I was a kid my mom took us to the pediatrician for our annual appt and we got there and found out he had died in a plane crash! He had his own personal plane I guess. This was an office on the first floor of his house, so I guess it was his wife who answered the door, IDK, was only about 6 but I never forgot it, because my mom was so upset. Sounds like I grew up in the mountains or something, but this was just outside of DC in Arlington. :wink:

I have been rather remiss in stretching and foam rolling after my runs. My calves are pretty tight and I really need to force myself to foam roller afterwards. I was really diligent about it for about 6 months after I hurt my IT band and then started getting lazy about it. I need a monthly foam rolling/stretching challenge.

We can do that. We can just start adding a note with our mileage. I'm bad about it. I always until I'm hurting a few days. I've been eyeing the tennis ball all evening.
  • 9voice9
    Options
    ccnagain wrote: »
    Any good suggestions on wireless earphones. I'm wanting to switch but trying to decide between wireless in ear or headphone type...thoughts??
    These are the ones I use most often: http://smile.amazon.com/Avantree-Sweatproof-Bluetooth-Headphones-Wireless/dp/B0047Y1HMK

My only real quibble is that the charger is not USB standard (on the headphones - the other end, of course, is). So I have to keep up with yet another charger cord. But these are easy to use on the run, and fit very well - I never worry about losing 'em or them falling out of my ears when I'm running.
  • 9voice9
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    We can do that. We can just start adding a note with our mileage. I'm bad about it. I always until I'm hurting a few days. I've been eyeing the tennis ball all evening.

Okay - what am I missing? I've never felt the need to roll or anything. And if I'm being perfectly honest, I almost never do a stretch or anything before I head out for a run - am I missing something here too?
  • ccnagain
    ccnagain Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    These are the ones I use most often: http://smile.amazon.com/Avantree-Sweatproof-Bluetooth-Headphones-Wireless/dp/B0047Y1HMK

My only real quibble is that the charger is not USB standard (on the headphones - the other end, of course, is). So I have to keep up with yet another charger cord. But these are easy to use on the run, and fit very well - I never worry about losing 'em or them falling out of my ears when I'm running.

I like these! They aren't in the ear which I struggle with those ones falling out, and they aren't big over the head headphones and best of all...they aren't $100+!!!

Thank you !!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Okay - what am I missing? I've never felt the need to roll or anything. And if I'm being perfectly honest, I almost never do a stretch or anything before I head out for a run - am I missing something here too?

Was wondering the same thing
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2016
    Options

Was wondering the same thing

Ha-ha! Maybe it just us old folks! Helps soreness, prevents fascia pain, loosens muscles, helps me with muscle imbalance issues and prevents additional scaring around nerves.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/how-to-use-a-foam-roller
  • sleepigrl
    sleepigrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    3/1 - 2 mile run
    3/2 - 3 mile walk
    3/3 - 2.25 mile run
    3/6 - 2 mile run
    3/7 - 3 mile brisk walk
    3/8 - 2 mile run, 1 mile walk
    3/9 - too much lightning
    3/10 - 2 mile run, 1.25 mile walk