March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    CariTJR wrote: »
    ...with only a couple of quick stops to sip water and blow my nose (why does it always run while I run?). I am definitely seeing improvement each time I go out.

exercise.png

Great motivation! Idk the answer to your question but if I'm running in the winter, it's why I always choose something cotton (gloves or t-shirt). Gross but efficient. I do lots of laundry.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @shanaber - I have a couple of the Matt Fitzgerald books and I think strictly maintaining those guidelines help my performance/fitness. It is really just about eating the best foods for you overall across your whole diet, so it is just common sense. But he does present a system that can help. I have trouble adhering to it long term. On stretches where I adhere to it well I do feel and perform better. Some of that may be mental, those periods are usually a little more serious overall. But the physical aspect should be there, it would make little sense to not feel and perform better when eating that well.

As for losing weight while distance training, I woyld love to share but have not experienced this. Even with a deficit I maintain my weight, but do become trimmer. At some point that can not continue otherwise I would disappear but have the same mass. It hasn't happened yet though.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    March Goal - 50km walking

March 8 - 6.7km
    March total - 25km

25km to go :smiley:

Map my walk says I burnt 327 cals from tonight's walk but my fitness pal says only 270. I'm sure they're both wrong but how can they be so different? What's anyone's thoughts?

Everything gives me different numbers too. I use the lowest number, and then try not to eat it all back. I'm about 57.7kg (127lbs) 5'5", F, 45yo and on a similar distance would probably get 300-350 calories for the walk. So, maybe split the difference.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @CariTJR - For runny noses while running, I recommend: Bausch & Lomb Ipratropium Bromide Nasal Solution.
    You have to get a prescription for it but it is not addictive. You just squirt it a couple times before you leave and your nose won't run. I learned about it biking and a friend recommended it. When I asked the Dr. for it he said "you will love this stuff!" and he was right.

@ohhim - I think you got more exercise than all of your Pirates combined! (I think it's the Pirates you like, lol, or some PA team.

@shanaber & @elise4270 - I have gained weight in the past few months - just a few pounds but everything still fits so I guess it is muscle. And I shouldn't care about that number but I can't help it. However, I have to eat nearly 3000 calories on the days I bike and usually around 2500 the days I run. That seems like a lot of calories for someone 5'7" but if I eat less I'm just too weak to run/bike/lift weights! To get that many calories in I consume wine and chocolate, which were not recommended in that article (WTH!). Also was diagnosed with hypothyroid the past year and finally agreed to go on the meds about 6 weeks ago because of other side effects (hair/skin/nails).

Taking a rest day today. I think. Unless I go crazy and insist on spinning or running after work. But seriously, legs do need a rest day.

March 1 - 5.05 miles + 1 hour spinning
    March 2 - strength training
    March 3 - 5K for Orlando City Soccer (not sure why they need $) + 1 mile warmup
    March 4- strength training
    March 5 - 43 mile bike ride (went 9 more than the usual 34 mile Sat ride).
    March 6 - 51 mile bike ride
    March 7 - 5 miles
    March 8 - recovery/rest day

exercise.png

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1-nothing yet
    2-yoga
    3-sicker yet. sick sick sick
    4-still sick
    so since i had no running to blog about i made a blog with some running memes.
    Happy Friday
    5-nothing
    6-nothing
    7-3.77, it felt nice. lots of people out so dog couldn't come with. i have to keep working on socialization
    8-nothing yet

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 14-Great Pi Run
    May 7-Door County Half Marathon
    ?Jun 11-Rock n Sole 5 or 8k? honeymoon might interfere
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half

exercise.png

• CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, even the gross ones lol. It's just weird, I don't have a cold at all, it is ONLY when i'm out for a run that my nose decides to start streaming. I must admit I did use my gloves the other week when it was really cold and I realised I had no tissues on me, needless to say they went straight in the washer once i'd got home, and a packet of tissues went into each pocket of my running jacket for future use. I'll look into the Bausch & Lomb Ipratropium Bromide Nasal Solution, although i'm hoping that it's a 'weather' thing, and once it starts getting warmer it won't be an issue.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    CariTJR wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, even the gross ones lol. It's just weird, I don't have a cold at all, it is ONLY when i'm out for a run that my nose decides to start streaming. I must admit I did use my gloves the other week when it was really cold and I realised I had no tissues on me, needless to say they went straight in the washer once i'd got home, and a packet of tissues went into each pocket of my running jacket for future use. I'll look into the Bausch & Lomb Ipratropium Bromide Nasal Solution, although i'm hoping that it's a 'weather' thing, and once it starts getting warmer it won't be an issue.

It is definitely worse when it is cold out - I don't need the spray when it is 99% humidity and 100 here. However, even in the 40s/50s I use the spray. One guy in my biking group will pull out of the pace line and shoot out a massive stream then cut back in the line. I want to suggest the spray to him but I don't feel I know him well enough to provide nasal advice. I now know not to look over when he pulls out as I made the mistake of watching it one time and nearly needed one of those airline sick bags.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Rest day today. Learned the hard way that just because my knee "feels" good doesn't mean it is. It's weird, doesn't hurt, just fee's funky and tight when my leg is fully extended, feels normal when it's bent. .

Working core today to take some time off running to give the knee a rest, and get some strength in the rest of my body
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    3/1: Rest day
    3/2: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/3: 7 miles speedwork (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/4: Rest day
    3/5: 7.3 miles
    3/6: 15.2 miles
    3/7: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    3/8: Rest day

Rest day! It's going to be about 70 degrees today, so I may try to get my work done early and go for a walk or something to soak up some sunshine. If I don't have time though, I'll definitely be studying in the bright and shiny outdoors! No running though!! Last time I ran on a Tuesday-Thursday stretch, my legs were dead. Can't have dead legs for my race this weekend!

Going to health services at the university today though to get my right hand looked at. It's the one that took the brunt of my fall 1.5 weeks ago, and it's still really sore along the outside of my hand/pinky finger. I'm concerned that I may have made an itsy bitsy fracture... :o Since an appointment and an x-ray are free on the university's dime, why not have it checked, right?

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K (Clinton, NJ)
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)

• Elise4270
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @ddmom0811 I'm loving that you can have so many calories. Maybe I'll rethink my running goal and try to bike some (depends on PNE). I'm under 1300* net for the last 2 weeks and don't see the scale moving (except up 4.8lbs today-sugar). As much as you run/bike, I'd bet it's muscle!

*My calorie goal is low, because I'm sloppy at count cal's. Built in buffer.

Edit- gross! I could hurk just visualizing it.
  • freakymistkd
    freakymistkd Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Elise4270 we aren't too far from each others height weight, I'm f, 34, weight 54/55kg, and height 154cm.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @shanaber - I have a couple of the Matt Fitzgerald books and I think strictly maintaining those guidelines help my performance/fitness. It is really just about eating the best foods for you overall across your whole diet, so it is just common sense. But he does present a system that can help. I have trouble adhering to it long term. On stretches where I adhere to it well I do feel and perform better. Some of that may be mental, those periods are usually a little more serious overall. But the physical aspect should be there, it would make little sense to not feel and perform better when eating that well.

As for losing weight while distance training, I woyld love to share but have not experienced this. Even with a deficit I maintain my weight, but do become trimmer. At some point that can not continue otherwise I would disappear but have the same mass. It hasn't happened yet though.

I used his DQS app for a while. It's easy to use when you eat right. I hesitate to used it now! My score would be bad.

Sounds like the running and weight loss issues is similar for us as runners. It's just finding that sweet spot I guess. I've had people swear I've lost weight and my scale hasn't changed 2 pounds in 3 years. Maybe, when I get to a point that I'm not asking more of my body, I'll drop some weight faster.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Thanks @Elise4270 we aren't too far from each others height weight, I'm f, 34, weight 54/55kg, and height 154cm.

Your welcome!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Thinking about my long run day coming up on Saturday, would it maybe be better to set a time goal of 60 minutes and just see how far I go? Rather than trying for the 6-6.5 miles I was thinking of? Take the emphasis off the distance and put it on the keep going?

Coming out of C25K, I found their advice to think in terms of "time spent running" vs. distance was really helpful at that point. Long runs were mostly about getting my muscles used to working for a long period of time instead of reaching a certain distance...that took care of itself as I got stronger and my pace started to naturally quicken.

My answer: If your mileage pace is 11:00 or more per mile, then you're already looking at over an hour to go 6-6+ miles. Your long run is typically done at whatever your "easy" pace is. For you to run 6 miles in 60 or less, your "easy" pace would have to be <10:00 per mile and I suspect anyone capable of that pace for long stretches (I'm still trying to get there) would have no problem going way over an hour if they wanted to from a cardiovascular standpoint.

TLDR: Go for time...

• GBrady43068
    Options
    sleepigrl wrote: »
    I'm way behind on posting, and I'm really struggling with my (short, I know) runs right now. I'm just going to keep on, though and hope it works itself out.

3/1 - 2 mile run
    3/2 - 3 mile walk
    3/3 - 2.25 mile run
    3/6 - 2 mile run
    I don't know how experienced a runner you are but if you are preparing to do your first (or first in a really long time) race, it was really helpful for me to think less about how far I was running and instead focus on how LONG I could run...at an easy (able to speak without gasping) pace. At the beginning of C25K, doing run/walk intervals, a 3 minute jog interval was really tough. By the end, 20 minutes of jogging was doable. Now I am able to go 3-4 miles at my easy pace before I start to need a walk interval...
  • GBrady43068
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @MrsKGrady: I think I'd land on my a** if I tried to run that 5K with snow all over the road. :p
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

shanaber wrote: »
    Hi All -
    I can't believe it is already the 7th and I have barely had time to catch up here and now there are 21 pages! I am reading through but I am not going to go back and comment on everything at this point.

Welcome to everyone - Newbies and all the returning friends from previous challenges!

I got a LSR in on Saturday. Wanted to go for 15 but only managed 12 and my legs were dead with that. I am starting to think I need to rethink my eating and calories overall and have started to do some reading on the subject. I found this interesting:
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/blog/the-ultimate-guide-to-weight-management-for-runners-5147/?utm_source=silverpop&utm_medium=email&utm_content=weight_button&utm_campaign=newsletter&spMailingID=50810682&spUserID=MTYwMjQ5NTI5MTkzS0&spJobID=880039810&spReportId=ODgwMDM5ODEwS0
    If you have some recommended reading on this topic let me know.
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I don't have any suggested readings. But I do wonder about this dynamic, adding muscle and losing fat. I believe Matt Fitzgerald is credible. I just hate to believe that I can't do both. Muscle recovery still happens at a deficit, right? But then again, I can't seem to lose any weight either. I just keep changing shape at the same weight. I'm positive, most days I'm at a deficit. I admittedly just skimmed the article. I may read over it again.

Anyone else have any ideas/insight on the matter?

@shanaber what did you decide on your calorie goal?

I know if you go into the body building forums on here, you will see a common theme. If you want to build muscle, you need to eat at a slight calorie surplus. And that it is almost impossible (with a few exceptions) to lose fat and build muscle at the same time. Your body only knows how to do one very well at a time. I am a follower in the same belief that it goes for building fitness and maximize performance in running as well.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Was exploring my Garmin 320, and discovered that I can set it to do intervals. I was thinking, steal an idea from Jeff Galloway, and do .5 steady/.25 slow for like half an hour or so, so I'm not just pounding pavement the same way 3-4 days a week. Thoughts?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Rest day! It's going to be about 70 degrees today, so I may try to get my work done early and go for a walk or something to soak up some sunshine. If I don't have time though, I'll definitely be studying in the bright and shiny outdoors! No running though!! Last time I ran on a Tuesday-Thursday stretch, my legs were dead. Can't have dead legs for my race this weekend!

Going to health services at the university today though to get my right hand looked at. It's the one that took the brunt of my fall 1.5 weeks ago, and it's still really sore along the outside of my hand/pinky finger. I'm concerned that I may have made an itsy bitsy fracture... :o Since an appointment and an x-ray are free on the university's dime, why not have it checked, right?

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K (Clinton, NJ)
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)

Taper up and kick butt on your race this weekend. I had a similar schedule last week. And now I am working on a long streak. argh! I hope your hand isn't too bad.

BTW, your marathon in May starts right behind where I used to work at on Ft. Monmouth. Been to Monmouth Race Track many times.

• Elise4270
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Was exploring my Garmin 320, and discovered that I can set it to do intervals. I was thinking, steal an idea from Jeff Galloway, and do .5 steady/.25 slow for like half an hour or so, so I'm not just pounding pavement the same way 3-4 days a week. Thoughts?

I just started using my Garmin for it. But, that my every run, since I have a hard time reigning it in and pacing slower. Try it out and let us know how it worked for you!

I do 0.50 mile run, 0.10 mile walk. It works well for 4 miles, then I get to where I'm taking longer walks, especially with it warming up.