Upcoming races:

4/3 - Super Heroes 5K
    4/10 - Bridgestreet HM
    5/30 - Cotton Row 10K

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Ohhim wrote: »
    @stoshew71 - Big congrads on the AG award. Definitely nice to get recognized for your hard work, especially in a race with a bigger field! Keep it up and next thing you know, you'll be eying the overall awards in smaller field races.

This is actually one of our smaller races (only 243 runners), but stacked. And the over all winner (Brandon York) ran in the Olympic Qualifiers a few weekends ago. LOL

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I just started using my Garmin for it. But, that my every run, since I have a hard time reigning it in and pacing slower. Try it out and let us know how it worked for you!

I do 0.50 mile run, 0.10 mile walk. It works well for 4 miles, then I get to where I'm taking longer walks, especially with it warming up.

Thanks @Elise4270 I have a hard time reigning in and pacing too. I can goo all out for like 6 miles, but I'm thinking I can go longer if I pace it out with intervals.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for March
    3/1 7.25 miles - 7.25
    3/2 4 miles - 11.25
    3/3 9 miles - 20.25
    3/4 3.5 miles - 23.75
    3/5 6.2 miles - 29.95
    3/6 2 miles - 31.95 << race warm-up
    3/6 5 miles - 36.95 << 8K race
    3/7 6.2 miles - 43.15
    3/8 8 miles - 51.15

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH Spring Road Race 8K - 3/6
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @kristinegift I'm so jealous of your NJ marathon, it's all the towns of my youth :cry: I miss my Jersey Shore! What a great run that will be. Good luck on the xray, definitely get it checked out if it's still hurting.
    @freakymistd the calories burned thing is so hard when you depend on what an app says. Do you have a Garmin or something similar? You'll get a much more accurate reading. I'm 5'6" 120 lbs normally (okay 125 right now) and 54 years old and I will burn from 60 - 80 calories a mile walking depending on the walk. If I have the Macy pup it will be more like 60 because she loves to smell every single mail box in the hood, if I walk with my insane power walking neighbor it's definitely more like 80 calories a mile because it's a slow jog more than a walk.
    @runner_girl83 look at you at the top of the leader board. I'm still trying to get my Garmin to sync to Strava.
    @sleepigrl I agree with others, keep up the short runs and they will become long runs. Also don't push yourself pace wise but push yourself distance wise. What I mean is, I start EVERY SINGLE RUN sure that I can't run more than a mile. I usually get in my zone around mile 2 or 3. Keep at it and you'll see suddenly 2 miles will seem like nothing.
    @joinn68 LOL about map my fitness thinking it's a crawl.

Speaking of muscle vs fat vs deficit vs I love junk food :smiley:

m0l8bdgvlr0k.png

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    5 miles today. I felt very good and my pace was very strong the first half mile so I picked up to a tempo effort for the next mile then dialed back down to easy effort but with a quarter mile pickup at the end. It felt refreshing to get a workout in with all of the easy miles fromm the base building lately. Not something I should try to do really, but seemed possible (and was)..

3/1 - 5 miles
    3/2 - 5 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - Rest
    3/5 - 12 miles
    3/6 - 5 miles
    3/7 - 5 miles
    3/8 - 5 miles

42/150 Miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    Hi All -
    I can't believe it is already the 7th and I have barely had time to catch up here and now there are 21 pages! I am reading through but I am not going to go back and comment on everything at this point.

Welcome to everyone - Newbies and all the returning friends from previous challenges!

I got a LSR in on Saturday. Wanted to go for 15 but only managed 12 and my legs were dead with that. I am starting to think I need to rethink my eating and calories overall and have started to do some reading on the subject. I found this interesting:
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/blog/the-ultimate-guide-to-weight-management-for-runners-5147/?utm_source=silverpop&utm_medium=email&utm_content=weight_button&utm_campaign=newsletter&spMailingID=50810682&spUserID=MTYwMjQ5NTI5MTkzS0&spJobID=880039810&spReportId=ODgwMDM5ODEwS0
    If you have some recommended reading on this topic let me know.
    I don't have any suggested readings. But I do wonder about this dynamic, adding muscle and losing fat. I believe Matt Fitzgerald is credible. I just hate to believe that I can't do both. Muscle recovery still happens at a deficit, right? But then again, I can't seem to lose any weight either. I just keep changing shape at the same weight. I'm positive, most days I'm at a deficit. I admittedly just skimmed the article. I may read over it again.

Anyone else have any ideas/insight on the matter?

@shanaber what did you decide on your calorie goal?

I know if you go into the body building forums on here, you will see a common theme. If you want to build muscle, you need to eat at a slight calorie surplus. And that it is almost impossible (with a few exceptions) to lose fat and build muscle at the same time. Your body only knows how to do one very well at a time. I am a follower in the same belief that it goes for building fitness and maximize performance in running as well.

So, in your opinion- if I wanna get faster, run longer I shouldn't teeter on deficit? I should cycle?
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Hi All -
    I can't believe it is already the 7th and I have barely had time to catch up here and now there are 21 pages! I am reading through but I am not going to go back and comment on everything at this point.

Welcome to everyone - Newbies and all the returning friends from previous challenges!

I got a LSR in on Saturday. Wanted to go for 15 but only managed 12 and my legs were dead with that. I am starting to think I need to rethink my eating and calories overall and have started to do some reading on the subject. I found this interesting:
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/blog/the-ultimate-guide-to-weight-management-for-runners-5147/?utm_source=silverpop&utm_medium=email&utm_content=weight_button&utm_campaign=newsletter&spMailingID=50810682&spUserID=MTYwMjQ5NTI5MTkzS0&spJobID=880039810&spReportId=ODgwMDM5ODEwS0
    I don't have any suggested readings. But I do wonder about this dynamic, adding muscle and losing fat. I believe Matt Fitzgerald is credible. I just hate to believe that I can't do both. Muscle recovery still happens at a deficit, right? But then again, I can't seem to lose any weight either. I just keep changing shape at the same weight. I'm positive, most days I'm at a deficit. I admittedly just skimmed the article. I may read over it again.

I know if you go into the body building forums on here, you will see a common theme. If you want to build muscle, you need to eat at a slight calorie surplus. And that it is almost impossible (with a few exceptions) to lose fat and build muscle at the same time. Your body only knows how to do one very well at a time. I am a follower in the same belief that it goes for building fitness and maximize performance in running as well.

So, in your opinion- if I wanna get faster, run longer I shouldn't teeter on deficit? I should cycle?

Training is just one aspect. Fueling and recovery is another aspect. It all plays together.

There is also a balance between lean weight for performance and training/recovery for performance. You have to decide your best path. That is a hard one to decide between if you are on the bubble of either.

• Elise4270
    Options
    Hi All -

Training is just one aspect. Fueling and recovery is another aspect. It all plays together.

There is also a balance between lean weight for performance and training/recovery for performance. You have to decide your best path. That is a hard one to decide between if you are on the bubble of either.

Thanks. I see. Think I may take a break from counting calories, and just see where that takes me. Try to get back to the DQS way.
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My entire running time has been in a deficit. I am really curious what I would feel like, how much my improvement would change, if I wasn't in a deficit. I really can't wait till I'm done losing weight, unfortunately I have another 40 to go. I'm (almost, next month) 44, 5'2 and 163. I eat between 1500-1600 and lose about 1.5 lbs a week.

Gorgeous day today! Maple syrup season is here, which means snow will be gone in about 3 weeks. The temps have taken a huge swing upwards, and they've done it so fast I'm having trouble adjusting my outerwear for my runs! I decided today it was too cold for a t-shirt but I probably could have worn just a long sleeve base layer. As it was I wore that and my wind resist jacket...and a head band. Was a little warm at 2c(33f?)

Forgot to mention my mizunos! Did my second run with them today, was awesome again. But I noticed these things are slippery! I'm going to have to really watch on the frosty mornings because the soles are so hard I'll just be skidding all over the paved road.

3/1 - 3.1
    3/2 - 3.1
    3/3 - x-train stationary bike
    3/4 - 3.1 slooow miles with my average HR
    3/5 - bought new shoes!
    3/6 - 4 miles
    3/7 - x-train stationary bike
    3/8 - 3.1

exercise.png
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Got x-rayed for injury to the sesamoid bones and ended up with a dx of the dreeded calcaneal spur and some other thing (hallus valgus deformity of the first metatarsal joint). This does not sound ladylike at all.
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2016
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    Got x-rayed for injury to the sesamoid bones and ended up with a dx of the dreeded calcaneal spur and some other thing (hallus valgus deformity of the first metatarsal joint). This does not sound ladylike at all.

Nope! I can't bend my 1st-3rd toes very much. Just on one foot though
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I sent a bunch of you follow requests on Strava - they will be from Kathie if you care to approve or follow me back. thanks.
  • 4leighbee
    Options

Does it impede your ability to run? (Obviously not generally, but are there flare-ups, etc. Does it hurt?)
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    rune1990 wrote: »
    My entire running time has been in a deficit. I am really curious what I would feel like, how much my improvement would change, if I wasn't in a deficit. I really can't wait till I'm done losing weight, unfortunately I have another 40 to go. I'm (almost, next month) 44, 5'2 and 163. I eat between 1500-1600 and lose about 1.5 lbs a week.

It's tricky but no quite. I tried both. Things are like this

Losing weight it's the best thing you can do for your running if you are over weight. End of story. Just eat at a slight deficit. This is a greater gain than eating at maintenance and carrying all that unnecessary mass with you for miles and miles. Even though if you eat at maintenance, those advantages (faster recovery, more energy etc) are killed by 10 lbs less on the scale.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 & @skippygirlsmom Sometimes I forget you are native New Jersey folk :) I ran the HM last year and have been told the best views (and house envy) is in the second half of the course.

And re: my hand -- it is not broken! They took a few x-rays that all came back fine. The doc thinks it's just super tender because of the trauma and because the scabs are getting dry. She told me to put ointment on them and keep the skin from getting dry as it heals, and the tenderness should go away. Phew!
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Losing weight it's the best thing you can do for your running if you are over weight. End of story. Just eat at a slight deficit. This is a greater gain than eating at maintenance and carrying all that unnecessary mass with you for miles and miles. Even though if you eat at maintenance, those advantages (faster recovery, more energy etc) are killed by 10 lbs less on the scale.

I agree. The best thing I can do is get that weight off my joints. I can tell a difference at even 5 pounds lighter.
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2016
    Options

Does it impede your ability to run? (Obviously not generally, but are there flare-ups, etc. Does it hurt?)

Well I think it does, but my left posterior has some nerve impingement. So I figured it was all bad mechanics. I can not wear flip flops on that foot. It only hurts if I try to bend them. That foot always has some pain, but I always attributed it to the nerve issue.

My shoes seem to wear evenly, but it feels like my feet strike differently. And it cramps ealily, I can touch it and it'll cramp.
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options

Snap! I'm 5'3 and 163lb right now, i've lost 21lb so far, with another 30lb to go (or thereabouts, I'll see how I feel nearer the goal) and I wonder the same. But to be honest, I feel ok doing what i'm doing right now, I guess it might just take a bit longer to build up the distance etc. I don't know, it's not like i'm having any adverse effects from being in a deficit and running, well, not that i've noticed....

• 4leighbee
    Options
    yikes @Elise4270 ... you rock.