Do u cut the fat off bacon?

Options
Hey everyone!

I have a question about recording foods. I always cut the fat off of bacon and pork etc. I also never eat the batter when I occasionally treat myself to fish n chips. How would I record this in my daily food diary?

P.s This is my first post on here - I'm a newbie so I apologise if this has already been answered.

Thanks!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    that would be complicated. You could look up a fish fried without batter but wrestling with the fat content vs the fat removed would be a challenge. I just eat it.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    daveoliffe wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

I have a question about recording foods. I always cut the fat off of bacon and pork etc. I also never eat the batter when I occasionally treat myself to fish n chips. How would I record this in my daily food diary?

P.s This is my first post on here - I'm a newbie so I apologise if this has already been answered.

Thanks!

if you want bacon with less fat, get canadian bacon or turkey bacon. otherwise you're wasting the most delicious bit!
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Cut the fat off bacon...? Cut the FAT off BACON....? Nooooo, nooooo, why would you do that??? :smiley:

Sorry, I can't help with your original question apart from maybe look for an entry for lean back bacon, maybe. I don't think you can really for the fish, maybe take the count for the whole weight and then knock 10-15% off. I suspect most of the oil/fat will have already soaked into the fish so just taking the batter off won't take boatloads off the total. I would just eat the lot and enjoy!
  • mad_ras
    mad_ras Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't eat the bacon!
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,470 Member
    Options
    I always cut the fat off too, but I log it with the fat. The difference isn't worth stressing about.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »
    Cut the fat off bacon...? Cut the FAT off BACON....? Nooooo, nooooo, why would you do that??? :smiley:

This! It's my favourite bit!

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Re: the fish it will depend on the quality of your chippy.

A decent fish and chip shop will make good quality batter and coat the fish well with it, effectively creating a seal. Therefore the heat of the oil cooking the batter will effectively poach the fish inside. Result: crunchy, delicious batter and soft, flaky fish inside. The calorie count would therefore be the same as a poached fish fillet of the type you order (cod, pollock, haddock etc).

If your chippy's batter is too thin or the fish is not coated properly then the oil will seep in and semi fry the fish to differing degrees which will make the calorie count significantly higher.

I wouldn't get to paranoid about getting an exact count but it is something to look out for if you are keen for high level accuracy for whatever reason.

And yes, I eat a lot of fish and chips...

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Sacrilege. :s
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Fark no.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Hell no!
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    That's the best, most delicious bit but aside from that, I would just log the bacon and accept the small calorie hit - in the big scheme of things it probably balances out, especially over a week. For example, I don't log my walk to/from the bus stop to work (about 20 minutes in total) to allow for some logging inaccuracies.

EDIT - Now that I think about it, there is probably an entry in the Database for Bacon Medallions which might be closer to what you're eating calorie-wise.
  • MzOnree
    MzOnree Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I would count the bacon and fish as normal. I wouldn't worry about trying to deduct the fat percentage. If you do want to avoid the fat count then I would suggest eating turkey bacon and fish that has no batter. Good luck on your endeavor.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I don't cut the fat out. I need the fat, and to boot, bacon isn't really too bad. Like 70 calories for 2 strips.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    No are you some sort of Animal?????
  • ShrinkingScientist
    ShrinkingScientist Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Fat isn't the enemy. Why cut it off, it won't save you that many calories?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Fat adds up quickly so I understand why you are doing this. Logging the fat removal is too complicated however so log the meal as normal.
  • MarziDeThrall
    MarziDeThrall Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food? I would just weigh it after I trim it and go by that. I think it would be much easier to switch to turkey bacon and grilled fish, though. Seems like you'd get about the same thing with less confusion.
  • bbilliethecat
    bbilliethecat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sacrilege. :s
    lisaisso wrote: »
    Fark no.
    jrline wrote: »
    No are you some sort of Animal?????

hahahahahaha

but i totally agree with these sentiments :)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Bacon is mostly fat, so cutting off the fat would mean a LOT less bacon to eat! And the batter off fried fish isn't as much of a problem as the fact that it's fried if you're trying to cut back on fats.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Bacon, no. Steak? Yes. But I don't worry about in terms of calorie counting- I'd rather over-calc than under calc. My body knows it's getting less cholesterol in the end.