Runners: how do you balance high mileage and hunger and weight loss?

Options

Replies

• muedra52
    muedra52 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Personally I can't imagine running that mileage while still eating at a deficit. If your #1 goal is weight loss (not improving your running), I'd cut back on both the running (maybe to 20-25 miles/week) and the calories. Running 40 miles/week IS going to make you ravenous, no way around it, and eating at a deficient I don't see how you can properly power your long runs.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Last bit is bloody hard, even for runners. Hence why I still have to track.

I have myself on a lose .5 lbs/week, sedentary. Run with garmin/HRM to get a more realistic burn than what MFP would give (1cal/kg/km is reasonable). I run 60 miles/week and eat most of those calories back but don't forget to count the gels/gatorade/cliffs/whatever consumed on the runs. And I try and eat within an hour or so of getting back vs letting myself get to that super-hungry point. You can't do the last 10 with super huge 1-2lbs a week. Even .5 lbs is a bit too aggressive.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    How can your level of exercise be classified as light cardio?

There is something very wrong with all your numbers.

Sorry, but you should ask lots of questions now, risk looking a bit lost, and start again.
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hmm, 10lbs isn't an awful lot to lose so maybe the rate of loss will slow down anyway. Did u say u started at 173 so you've lost a good 40 lbs. I know you're only 5ft 2 but to me it sounds like you are very active running up to 40ish miles per week AND doing 3 strength sessions. I'd think you'd need to be eating a little more. U can't always trust these calculators and sometimes you have to go by trial and error. Maybe going your body a boost and eating 1800 cals or something like that for a week or 2 and seeing how that goes and then dropping down again. Just to recharge yourself and give your body and your brain a break. It works for me :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's easy to overestimate calories burned from high mileage, because the calculators usually don't take into account the amount you'd burn anyway (and also some people just naturally burn less calories otherwise on a long run day). I tend to assume calories are right on for shorter runs, but cut them back substantially for longer runs.

Also, at under 150 you burn less than 100 cal/mile even for shorter runs. (I started running again at 200 and am now 125, and it's so sad how many fewer calories I burn for the same distances -- at least it takes less time, I guess.)

Don't know if any of that helps, as I haven't run your numbers (although I agree you ought to be losing if you are eating 1670 consistently with that exercise), and you might want to have someone look at the logging -- the entries in MFP can be inaccurate if you haven't yet gotten the hang of the database.
  • linsdog
    linsdog Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    FWIW I would say to set your activity at sedentary and track your exercise. Then eat half of the calories back to see where that puts you. Something seems wrong with your calculations and possible double dipping here...
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    I'll be more helpful than my last post.

Calculate your maintenance calories WITHOUT exercise. Scooby's calc at sedentary is really good for this.

Calculate your running figures by using a heart rate monitor.

Each day calculate your TDEE, depending if it's a rest day. Then you will be fuelling properly for your longer runs.

Take 250 calories off, and hope for a half a pound weight loss per week.

Ideally you should stop exercising and find your true maintenance figure, but you will drop a lot of glycogen and water weight and get even more confused.

It took me some trial and error to work out my burns and maintenance but it was worth it,

Running fast is 600 cals per hour, cycling about 4/500 strength training is impossible to work out so I just use about 200 per hour but I work super hard and heavy with short breaks.

I'm 129lb so your burns will be different.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    To lose you have to have a deficit, so eating at or above maintenance would be the reason you aren't losing..
    I have a deficit of nearly 4K a week from running.

I'm confused then because your OP says you are eating at maintenance.

If you're in a deficit, you should be losing weight.
    A deficit from the calories burned running. I think I should be losing weight at a much faster pace. Just not sure how to not be so god damn ravenous all the time.

Do you know what your actual deficit is? Not what you're burning total from running, but the difference between what you're consuming total and what you're burning total?

That is what determines how quickly you will lose and whether or not you're actually "eating at maintenance" or are in a deficit.

Well for the past 3 weeks I've been averaging an intake of about 1670-1700. Which is maintenance for me according to Scooby. For someone who does light cardio 3x a week. Then I run 35-40 miles and even then, I recalculate what MFP says. It says I burn 100 calories per mile but I take it down to 90. But idk. Maybe I'm underestimating calories because I'm so ravenous all the time and I get careless? But even then, even if I was off by 2000, half a pound should come off lol. But I'm guessing it may be water weight. I just increased mileage a month ago from 25-30 miles to 35/40.

So you're counting the 35-40 miles as your light cardio 3 times a week? Or you're doing light cardio 3 times a week and then the runs on top of that and eating back 90 calories per mile run? And you haven't lost anything for three weeks?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to get an understanding of what your actual calculations are.

Lol yes sorry. I'm underestimating so I placed myself under light cardio 3x a week which equals 35-40 miles. Then I recalculate what MFP gives me down to 90 cals per mile instead of 100.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you generated your calorie goal based on your TDEE (which is what Scooby gives you) and are then "double-dipping" when you log your exercise calories. You only want to count the activity once. If you are including it in your initial goal and then having MFP give you more, then you're double-dipping.

MFP's method is based on taking your non-exercise activity level and then adding exercise calories back to that. You can choose that method or the TDEE method, but mixing them can cause problems. You will probably want to choose one or the other.

Okay so here is what I do:

According to Scooby, my TDEE is 1670 at light cardio 3x a week.

I manually input this into MFP. So MFP is set at 1670 maintenance for me.

On average, that is what I eat. 1670. Sometimes a little more, 100 calories or so, for the past 3 weeks, since I've upped mileage. I do not eat exercise calories back. I don't even pay attention to that part of MFP. MFP is purely for logging purposes so i can keep track of what Ive eaten and not have to remember in my head. I find it useful to log my calories and to keep track of what I've burned. Thats it.

Now, if Im supposed to maintain at 1670, with light cardio 3x a week, and I end up burning nearly 4k a week, I should be losing roughly one lb or half a pound if some calculations are horridly off. Does that make sense?

FWIW, I have lost inches and fit back into my jeans that i hadn't worn in years. Im just frustrated with he scale. and I do feel kind of bloated.

Got it. Sorry for being slow, thank you for breaking it down for me.

Are you confident in your logging? Many times when people aren't losing when they expect it, it's because of an issue with their logging. Are you using a food scale for all solid food (including pre-packaged stuff)? Are you avoiding generic entries?
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    Am I the only one seeing the 35-40 miles a week running and not matching it up with 1670 calories per day AND not losing weight.

Either the calorie counting is off or something.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one seeing the 35-40 miles a week running and not matching it up with 1670 calories per day AND not losing weight.

Either the calorie counting is off or something.

Yeah, my (tentative) guess is that this is a logging issue.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Let me see if I have this right; you don't eat your exercise calories back, but you run 30-40 miles a week, and you only eat 1670 calories a day?
    If that is all correct then you are likely eating more then you think you are. When I run 40 miles in a week I can still lose eating 2300 a day.
    Do you log EVERYTHING, even the gun you chew, do you log it all?
  • Sailor_Moon86
    Sailor_Moon86 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh prepackaged stuff! Maybe that's it. I eat lots of pre packaged stuff like Lenny and Larry cookies. I do measure my peanut butter, creamer, honey, milk, orange juice, cereal. But I use measuring cups not a scale. I use the scale for chicken breasts or sweet potatoes. I can't get around the idea that I'm stuck at this weight! With all the running?? And having worst case a deficit of at least 1750 a week with miscalculations? Jesus I hope it's water weight. I DO feel bloated and have this past week or two. But idk I think in order to cut the last ten pounds I may have to decrease mileage so I won't be starving. There's no way around it.
  • Sailor_Moon86
    Options
    To lose you have to have a deficit, so eating at or above maintenance would be the reason you aren't losing..
    I have a deficit of nearly 4K a week from running.

I'm confused then because your OP says you are eating at maintenance.

If you're in a deficit, you should be losing weight.
    A deficit from the calories burned running. I think I should be losing weight at a much faster pace. Just not sure how to not be so god damn ravenous all the time.

Do you know what your actual deficit is? Not what you're burning total from running, but the difference between what you're consuming total and what you're burning total?

That is what determines how quickly you will lose and whether or not you're actually "eating at maintenance" or are in a deficit.

Well for the past 3 weeks I've been averaging an intake of about 1670-1700. Which is maintenance for me according to Scooby. For someone who does light cardio 3x a week. Then I run 35-40 miles and even then, I recalculate what MFP says. It says I burn 100 calories per mile but I take it down to 90. But idk. Maybe I'm underestimating calories because I'm so ravenous all the time and I get careless? But even then, even if I was off by 2000, half a pound should come off lol. But I'm guessing it may be water weight. I just increased mileage a month ago from 25-30 miles to 35/40.

So you're counting the 35-40 miles as your light cardio 3 times a week? Or you're doing light cardio 3 times a week and then the runs on top of that and eating back 90 calories per mile run? And you haven't lost anything for three weeks?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to get an understanding of what your actual calculations are.

Lol yes sorry. I'm underestimating so I placed myself under light cardio 3x a week which equals 35-40 miles. Then I recalculate what MFP gives me down to 90 cals per mile instead of 100.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you generated your calorie goal based on your TDEE (which is what Scooby gives you) and are then "double-dipping" when you log your exercise calories. You only want to count the activity once. If you are including it in your initial goal and then having MFP give you more, then you're double-dipping.

MFP's method is based on taking your non-exercise activity level and then adding exercise calories back to that. You can choose that method or the TDEE method, but mixing them can cause problems. You will probably want to choose one or the other.

Okay so here is what I do:

According to Scooby, my TDEE is 1670 at light cardio 3x a week.

I manually input this into MFP. So MFP is set at 1670 maintenance for me.

On average, that is what I eat. 1670. Sometimes a little more, 100 calories or so, for the past 3 weeks, since I've upped mileage. I do not eat exercise calories back. I don't even pay attention to that part of MFP. MFP is purely for logging purposes so i can keep track of what Ive eaten and not have to remember in my head. I find it useful to log my calories and to keep track of what I've burned. Thats it.

Now, if Im supposed to maintain at 1670, with light cardio 3x a week, and I end up burning nearly 4k a week, I should be losing roughly one lb or half a pound if some calculations are horridly off. Does that make sense?

FWIW, I have lost inches and fit back into my jeans that i hadn't worn in years. Im just frustrated with he scale. and I do feel kind of bloated.

Got it. Sorry for being slow, thank you for breaking it down for me.

Are you confident in your logging? Many times when people aren't losing when they expect it, it's because of an issue with their logging. Are you using a food scale for all solid food (including pre-packaged stuff)? Are you avoiding generic entries?

My diary shouldn't be private. Is generic entry quick add? And I don't weigh religiously. Maybe that's it. Idk. I'm going to just take it down to like 1600 and run less. Probably go back down to 30 miles and I'm going to measure and weigh everything. I just think that even if I was horribly off my numbers I should have at least been at a deficit big enough to lose half a pound.
  • Sailor_Moon86
    Options
    I'll be more helpful than my last post.

Calculate your maintenance calories WITHOUT exercise. Scooby's calc at sedentary is really good for this.

Calculate your running figures by using a heart rate monitor.

Each day calculate your TDEE, depending if it's a rest day. Then you will be fuelling properly for your longer runs.

Take 250 calories off, and hope for a half a pound weight loss per week.

Ideally you should stop exercising and find your true maintenance figure, but you will drop a lot of glycogen and water weight and get even more confused.

It took me some trial and error to work out my burns and maintenance but it was worth it,

Running fast is 600 cals per hour, cycling about 4/500 strength training is impossible to work out so I just use about 200 per hour but I work super hard and heavy with short breaks.

I'm 129lb so your burns will be different.

Well I'm already doing that lol. My deficit is created through running. Maybe I'm burning less than 90 cal a mile? Perhaps eat a little more and check to see if I maintain? Because I don't want to stop running.
  • Sailor_Moon86
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's easy to overestimate calories burned from high mileage, because the calculators usually don't take into account the amount you'd burn anyway (and also some people just naturally burn less calories otherwise on a long run day). I tend to assume calories are right on for shorter runs, but cut them back substantially for longer runs.

Also, at under 150 you burn less than 100 cal/mile even for shorter runs. (I started running again at 200 and am now 125, and it's so sad how many fewer calories I burn for the same distances -- at least it takes less time, I guess.)

Don't know if any of that helps, as I haven't run your numbers (although I agree you ought to be losing if you are eating 1670 consistently with that exercise), and you might want to have someone look at the logging -- the entries in MFP can be inaccurate if you haven't yet gotten the hang of the database.

How many do you burn per mile?
  • Sailor_Moon86
    Options
    How can your level of exercise be classified as light cardio?

There is something very wrong with all your numbers.

Sorry, but you should ask lots of questions now, risk looking a bit lost, and start again.

It's not. I did that on purpose.
  • Sailor_Moon86
    Options
    muedra52 wrote: »
    Personally I can't imagine running that mileage while still eating at a deficit. If your #1 goal is weight loss (not improving your running), I'd cut back on both the running (maybe to 20-25 miles/week) and the calories. Running 40 miles/week IS going to make you ravenous, no way around it, and eating at a deficient I don't see how you can properly power your long runs.

Yup. Looks like next week I'm cutting down to 25-30. The hunger is insane.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Measure, measure, measure. All of my long plateaus (including the one I'm in now :P) are usually caused by me getting lazy in measuring. There are certain things I can eyeball perfectly because I see them every day (ounces of cheese) and others where I'm completely lost (servings of cereal and ice cream, which appear hopelessly tiny to me). Use the scale. Measuring cups are for liquids only. In fact, I still use the scale for liquids. If you're religious about weighing and logging, you can be sure your 1670 is really 1670.

My $0.02.
  • Sailor_Moon86
    Options
    Let me see if I have this right; you don't eat your exercise calories back, but you run 30-40 miles a week, and you only eat 1670 calories a day?
    If that is all correct then you are likely eating more then you think you are. When I run 40 miles in a week I can still lose eating 2300 a day.
    Do you log EVERYTHING, even the gun you chew, do you log it all?

Apparently. I do log everything, even my vitamins. I don't weigh pre packaged stuff, so I'm going to start doing that. And I'm thinking I burn less than 90 cals per mile which is what I was going off of. I'm just hoping I'm experiencing bloat because my stomach has been acting up. I don't have dairy because it bloats me up but for the past week I've had ice cream and milk frequently and I can feel the sluggish bloated difference. Oh and I've had Diet Coke for 4 days now. There's that.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    The more cardio I do the hungrier I get, irrelative to whether I'm eating cals back.

I suspect your counting is inaccurate, you've got to get it right, then give it time, and cut down on running and eating, until you really know what's going on. You're going to run yourself into an injury at this rate and be really peed off!