How do you always keep bananas on hand?

I buy them and none are ripe. Then they all get ripe on the same day. And the day following they're all too ripe.

Has anyone ever come up with a solution to having good bananas regularly? I always just hang around waiting for them to ripen (I haaaaate unripe bananas) and then eat one banana on the day they are good. Then the rest get composted.

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Ours get eaten rapidly. But we do have 4 boys, including 2 teenagers.

Ripe bananas can be frozen and used in banana bread, though. Mmmm, banana bread...
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,957 Member
    edited March 2016
    Buy in smaller quantities and separate them when you get home. Otherwise they cause each other to ripen. And also.. a little more ripe than yellow is still perfectly fine.
  • lisaepell
    lisaepell Posts: 103 Member
    You need to separate the bananas from each other and they will ripen at different rates - I've heard that it has to do with the gas they give off as they ripen. I buy 5-6 at a time and put them in different places around my kitchen. They still ripen on a similar time frame, but not as quickly. Worth a try!
  • ToddPa12
    ToddPa12 Posts: 61 Member
    We usually buy two sets; one that are almost ripe (yellow) and about 6 that are more green with just a slight yellow to them. We separate them when we get home and that usually lasts from Sunday til Friday, if we're lucky.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    I freeze mine. Peel them, split in half and I always have bananas for my smoothies. I also make a great banana bread with no sugar added. You can also try to buy a few smaller bunches at different levels of ripeness.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    oh, I will separate them. Good to know!

To be honest I don't like them perfectly yellow. I like them with a light bit of black spotting. But when the spots get bigger and there are soft spots, I won't touch them.

I wonder if I should develop some refrigeration schedule. Like leave three out and put three in the fridge. Then take one banana out of the fridge on the following day, and the next on the following day, etc.

I'm going to tinker around and share. Unfortunately I don't eat that many bananas so it might take some time to develop a system.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I buy them and none are ripe. Then they all get ripe on the same day. And the day following they're all too ripe.

Has anyone ever come up with a solution to having good bananas regularly? I always just hang around waiting for them to ripen (I haaaaate unripe bananas) and then eat one banana on the day they are good. Then the rest get composted.

Don't compost them - freeze them. Place your over ripe bananas in a ziplock bag & freeze. You don't have to peel them first, but you may find it easier.

(Thawed) frozen bananas can be used in yogurt, smoothies, oatmeal, and baked goods.

I don't have solution, so I generally buy only a couple at a time.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    I freeze most of mine. I'll eat a couple while they are still good and the rest get peeled and frozen. I'll use the frozen bananas in smoothies, oatmeal or protein balls mostly.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,713 Member
    I shop once a week so buy 7 at a time and just get 4 of greenest ones I can for the end of the week and 3 of the more ripened ones for the beginning.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    So frustrating. I always buy the greenest ones, but then we end up having to eat them all within 2 days. Or I will freeze some and use in smoothies another time. It would be nice to have them (fresh) all throughout the week, though.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    I buy smaller quantities more frequently. So I shop on the weekend and I'll get 3-4, then maybe go back Wednesday or Thursday and get another few. Rinse and repeat weekly. Or if they go bad, I make banana bread with them and eat an apple instead!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    I buy two bunches on Saturday, one about to be ripe, one still green. The first one is ripe and good to eat Monday and Tuesday and the second gets us through the latter part of the week.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    There's usually a 3-day window where a banana is perfectly sweet and ripe to eat. I find it odd that a single day is the difference between a perfectly fine and spoiled banana for you.

I suggest selecting bananas at different stages of ripeness when you're at the store.

Also, how you store them makes a difference. Putting them in a paper bag and storing them in the top shelf of a cupboard will result in faster ripening. Leaving them out on the counter in a cool environment will slow the ripening process down. You can play around with this depending on how your place is set up.

Freeze ripe bananas for smoothies or ice cream. Or just use the ripe bananas you have on hand for a smoothie if you have the calories for it. I buy 60 a week and use 5-6 a day in smoothies, the rest for pre/post workout snacks. I rarely have to resort to freezing bananas because I have the process locked down to a science.

• hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    When they are just right/ripe, I wrap them with aluminum foil and stick them in the fridge, they last longer and not get too ripe.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    i wrap the stems with plastic wrap. . . trick i saw on youtube. seems to keep them from going spotty longer.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,957 Member
    Hey, I guess you could always pick one banana from a bunch of .. bunches ranging from SUPER GREEN to yellow or even ripe! No one will stop you hahaha.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    ktekc wrote: »
    i wrap the stems with plastic wrap. . . trick i saw on youtube. seems to keep them from going spotty longer.

I do something similar to this. I buy green bananas and use the plastic bag they come in to wrap around the stem.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I'm not much of a banana guy unless I'm having pancakes...but I have two boys and they're like little monkeys and will devour a bunch of ripe bananas within a couple of days.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    lisaepell wrote: »
    You need to separate the bananas from each other and they will ripen at different rates - I've heard that it has to do with the gas they give off as they ripen. I buy 5-6 at a time and put them in different places around my kitchen. They still ripen on a similar time frame, but not as quickly. Worth a try!

It is the ethylene that is released. That's why if you put them together in a closed bag they will ripen even faster - they release ethylene which causes them to ripen faster...which releases more ethylene....

Best to keep them apart or on a handing rack that allows the gas to dissipate...

And yes, freeze them if they are getting too ripe. The best part is as they ripen the gain more banana flavour...the best banana to make a banana cream pie is a black banana!
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    I use a bunch at a time in waffle/pancake/ smoothie recipes. Extras get frozen