Do u cut the fat off bacon?

Options

Replies

• mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    If you are going to cut the fat of bacon, why bother eating that style of bacon? Why not move to something like peameal bacon/back bacon. Personally, I prefer these styles anyway...as do the kids.

Now, that being said, If I am braising pork belly (I am going to eat the entire chunk....)
  • Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Do you cut the fat off and eat the fat alone? Because that would be an acceptable reason to cut the fat off.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    No.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What kind of bacon are you eating? Most US bacon has so much fat that cutting it off would leave you with a sad little pile of bits equaling one bite per slice. Peameal bacon from Canada is already pretty lean. I'm not sure what bacon is like elsewhere.
  • daveoliffe
    daveoliffe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone - lol some of your messages made me laugh. Thanks for your replies. I've decided that since I'm counting calories now, I should stop being weird and just eat the whole lot without worrying too much.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Dude, what's wrong with you? Why would you not eat the bacon's fat????
  • daveoliffe
    daveoliffe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. I've let you down. I've let the community down. I've let bacon down. I've let myself down. :(
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Canadian bacon still has lots of fat by the way. It's just all blended together...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm just trying to figure out how one would actually cut the fat off the bacon...logistically this just seems crazy...and bacon is mostly fat so what would you really have left.

When I eat bacon I just eat bacon...I've been getting a nice thick center cut lately that's only about 100 calories per 2 pan fried slices.
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    daveoliffe wrote: »
    I'm sorry. I've let you down. I've let the community down. I've let bacon down. I've let myself down. :(

HA! I actually still save the bacon grease when I cook it and use it for cooking later. ;). I keep my portions small when I do that, it just adds so much flavor and I love good food!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    there are options in the database for 'lean only' for most meats. Not sure about bacon though. Would there be anything left if you trim the fat from bacon?
  • lyndseybellz
    lyndseybellz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    turkey bacon. ftw.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    bacon-b-b-b-bacon-spawn-more-bacon_o_4484989.jpg

• rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'd rather go without than suffer through a serving of Turkey bacon or Canadian bacon, which is really just a slice of ham

I've made the decision to cut out bacon entirely for now because I was eating too much too often, but if I were making it still I'd leave the fat on because that is the best tasting part.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Dude. Dude! Seriously? Dude. Um. Dude. I. Um. Never mind.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Reading this OP pisses me off!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm just trying to figure out how one would actually cut the fat off the bacon...logistically this just seems crazy...and bacon is mostly fat so what would you really have left.

When I eat bacon I just eat bacon...I've been getting a nice thick center cut lately that's only about 100 calories per 2 pan fried slices.

I do. I don't like chewing on bubbles of fat. I cook my bacon just this side of burnt, and I tear off any bubbles of fat that didn't render.

Why not? It's my thing. I don't go all over the PB2 people, even though I think that's sacrilege.

Maybe I'm like this because I am Canadian.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

I do. I don't like chewing on bubbles of fat. I cook my bacon just this side of burnt, and I tear off any bubbles of fat that didn't render.

Why not? It's my thing. I don't go all over the PB2 people, even though I think that's sacrilege.

Canadian bacon doesn't have much fat . . .
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Canadian bacon doesn't have much fat . . .

As a Canadian, I eat many American and Mexican products, like Avocados, Oranges, and...American style bacon. I find American style bacon fatty, so I will tear off the big fat globs of fat.