Any kombucha drinkers?

Options

Replies

• Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yeah, the gingery ones are tasty and settle my tummy.

But, do you think it's bad for our teeth?

I guess it's not much different from people that drink wine, etc.

I only drink kombucha maybe once a week (it's expensive in my area), but I would imagine if you're drinking it every day you'd suffer the same wear that someone who drinks wine/carbonated beverages. It might be less bad because it usually doesn't have as much sugar; the ones I buy have no added sugar so anything that's in there is from the ginger. I'd rather wear away my enamel drinking my ginger kombucha and eating citrus and vinegary foods than by drinking sodas all day.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Amerane wrote: »

I only drink kombucha maybe once a week (it's expensive in my area), but I would imagine if you're drinking it every day you'd suffer the same wear that someone who drinks wine/carbonated beverages. It might be less bad because it usually doesn't have as much sugar; the ones I buy have no added sugar so anything that's in there is from the ginger. I'd rather wear away my enamel drinking my ginger kombucha and eating citrus and vinegary foods than by drinking sodas all day.

Thanks for the reply. My husband thinks I should only drink it once a week. I sometimes have a negative reaction such as flushing because I was injured by being wrongly prescribed a vasoconstrictor. So, I am still experimenting to see if it helps me or not. I eat wildbrine and goat milk kefir. The kombucha I buy is the GT kind. I was drinking apple cider vinegar diluted in water to increase stomach acid. But, I stopped to protect my teeth. I take digestive enzymes instead (not at every meal). I was overtreated with antibiotics and suffering major consequences.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Synergy strawberry yummm
  • phiguru
    phiguru Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. My husband thinks I should only drink it once a week. I sometimes have a negative reaction such as flushing because I was injured by being wrongly prescribed a vasoconstrictor. So, I am still experimenting to see if it helps me or not. I eat wildbrine and goat milk kefir. The kombucha I buy is the GT kind. I was drinking apple cider vinegar diluted in water to increase stomach acid. But, I stopped to protect my teeth. I take digestive enzymes instead (not at every meal). I was overtreated with antibiotics and suffering major consequences.

I grew up drinking kefir and other naturally fermented foods along with things like a dose of vinegar with honey if we ate a rich meal. I'm also a heavy coffee and tea drinker, never mind the rest of it. I was also worried about slowly eating away at my teeth with all these acidic foods and my dentist recommended brushing in the morning with Earthpaste to help with adding some minerals to the teeth (I tend to not drink for the first half hour of the day and use a fluoride rinse at night plus we have fluoride in the water here.) I bet your dentist could be of assistance to you in this area.

About your health in particular, BinaryPulsar, my husband had chronic strep for years and suffered under the repeated courses of very strong antibiotics and steroids. It's taken a long time with a good packaged probiotic and very healthy eating for him to finally be coming back to normal. What worked for him definitely wouldn't have worked for me - it's amazing how different our bodies can be! It can be a long road, but I encourage you to keep up with it and find what works for you.

• BinaryPulsar
    edited March 2016
    Options
    phiguru wrote: »

I grew up drinking kefir and other naturally fermented foods along with things like a dose of vinegar with honey if we ate a rich meal. I'm also a heavy coffee and tea drinker, never mind the rest of it. I was also worried about slowly eating away at my teeth with all these acidic foods and my dentist recommended brushing in the morning with Earthpaste to help with adding some minerals to the teeth (I tend to not drink for the first half hour of the day and use a fluoride rinse at night plus we have fluoride in the water here.) I bet your dentist could be of assistance to you in this area.

About your health in particular, BinaryPulsar, my husband had chronic strep for years and suffered under the repeated courses of very strong antibiotics and steroids. It's taken a long time with a good packaged probiotic and very healthy eating for him to finally be coming back to normal. What worked for him definitely wouldn't have worked for me - it's amazing how different our bodies can be! It can be a long road, but I encourage you to keep up with it and find what works for you.

Thank you so much for the advice and reassurance! That really helps. I had such amazing health, gut health, skin health. This is difficult for me. But, I have been through a year of medical injury. And it's just been a few weeks of figuring out the right healing path. Because of the vasoconstrictor injury causing me to react to foods. I am reducing stress, meditation, walking, yoga, relaxing breathing, massage, exercise. In addition to diet.

I usually go to the dentist a lot. But, haven't gone in almost a year because of the nerve injury in my face. But, I should go soon. What is earth paste? That sounds interesting. I am going to look that up.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for the advice and reassurance! That really helps. I had such amazing health, gut health, skin health. This is difficult for me. But, I have been through a year of medical injury. And it's just been a few weeks of figuring out the right healing path. Because of the vasoconstrictor injury causing me to react to foods. I am reducing stress, meditation, walking, yoga, relaxing breathing, massage, exercise. In addition to diet.

I usually go to the dentist a lot. But, haven't gone in almost a year because of the nerve injury in my face. But, I should go soon. What is earth paste? That sounds interesting. I am going to look that up.

vyv6r39l2edf.jpg
    It's a line of really awesome all-natural toothpastes that use Redmond clay, xylitol, and essential oils to clean your teeth. Kinda expensive, but a tube should last about a month and a half, and it cleans really well. Wintermint was my favorite. I used to use it, but I've since switched to PerioBrite since it's around the same price and has a lot more herbal extracts and derivatives to benefit gum health and sensitivity.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

vyv6r39l2edf.jpg
    It's a line of really awesome all-natural toothpastes that use Redmond clay, xylitol, and essential oils to clean your teeth. Kinda expensive, but a tube should last about a month and a half, and it cleans really well. Wintermint was my favorite. I used to use it, but I've since switched to PerioBrite since it's around the same price and has a lot more herbal extracts and derivatives to benefit gum health and sensitivity.

Thanks! I will check put PerioBrite as well.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I make my own kombucha and love the stuff. I can't imagine how it could possibly help you lose weight unless you were using it as substitute for a high calorie drink. Water would be better if calories were that big of a concern.

I don't know how people afford to buy it though. What is it...$3 for a 16 oz bottle? For something so easy and cheap to make it's way overpriced.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I can afford $3. I make all my food at home. I only buy the occasional kombucha (still just testing this out), a green tea on rare occasion, salad, a role of veggie sushi (also around $4), occasional veggie juice (maybe). So, I don't spend much at all on food outside of making my own. But, this is because of my medical injuries making food unpredictable for me.
  • jaymich001
    jaymich001 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

I have never had kefir before. What does it taste like?
  • jaymich001
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I make my own kombucha and love the stuff. I can't imagine how it could possibly help you lose weight unless you were using it as substitute for a high calorie drink. Water would be better if calories were that big of a concern.

I don't know how people afford to buy it though. What is it...$3 for a 16 oz bottle? For something so easy and cheap to make it's way overpriced.

Yea I can't afford $3 +/- per bottle either. After buying a couple bottles and noticed how much a few bottles cost I bought a bottle of original GT's and grew my own.

I searched for studies on kombucha & weight loss but no official studies have been done to verify. There were a few that said because KT is good for gut health a healthy gut is able to process the vitamins and minerals easier. Which in turn can aid in weight loss but not directly.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    jaymich001 wrote: »

I have never had kefir before. What does it taste like?

It's like a yogurt drink. Tastes like a yogurt smoothie or drinkable yogurt. A little more zing.
  • Nezz123
    Nezz123 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I tried one bottle in 2012. My boss drank it to help control a chronic liver problem (i.e. something about fatty tissue buildup) and it seemed to help him. So maybe it controls other fat as well? He very healthy, active, energetic guy who seemed to be doing something right!

But oh my gosh it was yucky! But, I'd drink it again. Anything that yucky has to be good for you, right? (<--I am being silly.)
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    To me it tastes like a hard cider
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I like the ginger flavors. I made it for awhile but it was a lot of work. Now I just buy it now & then.
    Back in '08 I had that terrible pneumonia that followed swine flu. I was on bed rest for a month. I had an insatiable craving for this every day as I got better. So I think there's something to the probiotics, etc. really working! My cravings are often spot on.
  • jaymich001
    Options
    There are so many different flavors of kombucha now. I had a root beer flavor that was really good.
  • lexykassan
    lexykassan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There's a great company local to my area called Mother Kombucha. Their Vanilla Oak is delicious!
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    There's a place where I'm going to be working at part time, starting in May and they have kombucha on tap !
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Everyone in this thread was talking about all these cool on tap kombucha flavors at kombucha bars. So, I found out we have a bunch of those here where I live. Yay!