Any kombucha drinkers?

Options
13»

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    The Mayo clinic recommends avoiding it.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/consumer-health/expert-answers/kombucha-tea/faq-20058126

"Kombucha tea is a fermented drink made with tea, sugar, bacteria and yeast. Although it's sometimes referred to as kombucha mushroom tea, kombucha is not a mushroom — it's a colony of bacteria and yeast. Kombucha tea is made by adding the colony to sugar and tea, and allowing the mix to ferment. The resulting liquid contains vinegar, B vitamins and a number of other chemical compounds.

Proponents claim kombucha tea can stimulate the immune system, prevent cancer, and improve digestion and liver function. However, there's no scientific evidence to support these health claims.

There have, however, been reports of adverse effects, such as stomach upset, infections and allergic reactions in kombucha tea drinkers. Kombucha tea is often brewed in homes under nonsterile conditions, making contamination likely. If ceramic pots are used for brewing, lead poisoning might be a concern — the acids in the tea may leach lead from the ceramic glaze.

In short, there isn't good evidence that kombucha tea delivers on its health claims. At the same time, several cases of harm have been reported. Therefore, the prudent approach is to avoid kombucha tea until more definitive information is available."
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/consumer-health/expert-answers/kombucha-tea/faq-20058126

"Kombucha tea is a fermented drink made with tea, sugar, bacteria and yeast. Although it's sometimes referred to as kombucha mushroom tea, kombucha is not a mushroom — it's a colony of bacteria and yeast. Kombucha tea is made by adding the colony to sugar and tea, and allowing the mix to ferment. The resulting liquid contains vinegar, B vitamins and a number of other chemical compounds.

Proponents claim kombucha tea can stimulate the immune system, prevent cancer, and improve digestion and liver function. However, there's no scientific evidence to support these health claims.

There have, however, been reports of adverse effects, such as stomach upset, infections and allergic reactions in kombucha tea drinkers. Kombucha tea is often brewed in homes under nonsterile conditions, making contamination likely. If ceramic pots are used for brewing, lead poisoning might be a concern — the acids in the tea may leach lead from the ceramic glaze.

In short, there isn't good evidence that kombucha tea delivers on its health claims. At the same time, several cases of harm have been reported. Therefore, the prudent approach is to avoid kombucha tea until more definitive information is available."
    They way I figure it is that if people have been drinking it for thousands of years, then it probably isn't harmful. At least not in the quantities that most people drink it.

I mean, you could argue the same thing about homemade yogurt, or saurkraut, or sourdough, or anything that involves home-fermentation. But people have been doing that for as nearly as long as people have been cooking, so I don't think that contamination is much of an issue. Sure, if it looks bad and smells bad, don't drink it. But, otherwise, you'll probably be fine.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I love making and drinking Kombucha. All fermented foods are good for your gut bacteria health and immune system. There are some studies that show healthy gut bacteria helps keep you from storing abdominal fat. It still takes a calorie deficit to lose the fat though, once you have stored it.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I'm definitely interested to know if it's safe or not. But, people aren't drinking it because of those health claims. They drink it because it has probiotics (like yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut), it tastes good, it's low calorie, it's fun (just like people drink soda, wine, cider, beer, etc). I don't make my own and if I did I highly doubt anyone would use an unsafe container (people usually use glass containers). So, I definitely want to hear all the info. But, the unsafe claims in this are just based on nonsense. It's bizarre. But, definitely share if someone has accurate info about it being unsafe or unhealthy. It does have probiotic bacteria and beneficial yeast, so there is always the possibility that someone could have an unfavorable (most likely temporary) reaction and people shouldn't drink it if it isn't compatible with them in a favorable way.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options

They way I figure it is that if people have been drinking it for thousands of years, then it probably isn't harmful. At least not in the quantities that most people drink it.

I mean, you could argue the same thing about homemade yogurt, or saurkraut, or sourdough, or anything that involves home-fermentation. But people have been doing that for as nearly as long as people have been cooking, so I don't think that contamination is much of an issue. Sure, if it looks bad and smells bad, don't drink it. But, otherwise, you'll probably be fine.

I was going to say much the same. The whole, some people have had adverse reactions to it statement is frankly useless in terms of whether a person should or should not drink it. There are people who have allergic and other negative reactions to pretty much every food or drink. To say no one should drink it because some, and like a small number, have allergic or other negative reactions would mean no one should eat or drink anything. I know people who get hives when they eat kiwi, that doesn't make me stop eating it because I don't. So also the whole it could be made at home under unhygienic conditions. The same could be said for all food and drink, but I don't see the Mayo clinic using the same argument against other home made foods. An extreme lack of solid thinking in that.
  • MurderMeSomeFat
    MurderMeSomeFat Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Kombucha! I home brew with green tea and hibiscus. I like raspberry, Concord grape, or Granny Smith apple for my second ferment.
    I like it bubbly and vinegary (between a ph of 3 and 2).
  • InsipidDime
    InsipidDime Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I like Clearly Kombucha. It's my weekly "treat" when I go shopping. Other brands are good too, but that one is my favorite. My daughter really likes Live Soda kombucha. It's pretty much spot on for Dr. Pepper and Rootbeer flavoring.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I find most kombucha blends you can buy to be too acidic or vinegary. My hubby makes our kombucha and we will blend it after the fermentation process with an organic juice. After blending, we bottle it and let it sit for a day or two before refrigerating it. Tastes yummy.

I don't believe kombucha is a weight loss tool but I personally feel it helps with my digestion. As someone who has dealt with a lot of digestive issues over the years, including ulcerative colitis and proctitis with some IBS thrown in for good measure, I know when I overeat or eat something I probably shouldn't I may have a slower than normal digestion. A big, juicy steak or a few donuts will do it to me. However, if I drink kombucha after something like that, I find my digestion is a little easier and I don't feel so bloated or miserable.
  • HomeatWDW
    HomeatWDW Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just tried kombucha and did a search to learn more about it. I'm a juice drinker and found it in the juice case, so I got a couple of bottles out of curiosity. I had no idea that it's supposed to have all those health benefits. I'm a skeptic of those sorts of claims anyway, but I enjoyed it as something for variety since I'm pre-diabetic and don't want to drink too much juice due to the sugar. It looks like the Mayo Clinic warning applies mainly to the home brews, so hopefully the brands sold in stores are okay. I drank my first bottle today (lavender), and it was definitely different! I have ginger to try next and may try a few others, not for the supposed health or weight loss benefits, but as a way to add variety while I avoid unhealthy snacks.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options
    HomeatWDW wrote: »
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just tried kombucha and did a search to learn more about it. I'm a juice drinker and found it in the juice case, so I got a couple of bottles out of curiosity. I had no idea that it's supposed to have all those health benefits. I'm a skeptic of those sorts of claims anyway, but I enjoyed it as something for variety since I'm pre-diabetic and don't want to drink too much juice due to the sugar. It looks like the Mayo Clinic warning applies mainly to the home brews, so hopefully the brands sold in stores are okay. I drank my first bottle today (lavender), and it was definitely different! I have ginger to try next and may try a few others, not for the supposed health or weight loss benefits, but as a way to add variety while I avoid unhealthy snacks.

Some of the supposed benefits sort of push the realm of believably, and likely don't have much if any research behind them. However, the benefits of the probiotics in it, and other fermented foods like yogurt and kefir, are well documented for gut health which can have an influence on overall health. I have not tried kombucha, but I would like to. Based on the price I have seen around here, I think I will just get a scoby and starter and make my own since I can get that for $5 to $10 dollars, and 1L kombucha is like $12. I have lots of tea, so making my own if just a matter of getting together the equipment, most of which I have already. As I said earlier, the Mayo clinic warning amounts to a collection of silly statements that amount to some people have issues, and if a person is not hygenic in making it there may be issues. The same holds true for pretty much every food. If you have not had a reaction to one that is purchased, you will likely not have a reaction to one homemade as long as basic cleanliness is maintained when making it. As someone who has made everything from homebrew beer to homemade yogurt and kefir without any issues, I am pretty sure making my own would be fine.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I think it tastes good. It's fun to drink. I feel good when I drink it. I am not sure why. Maybe because I am a non-drinker the small amount of alcohol is felt by me. I drink it in moderation. The probiotics might be beneficial. Too much and I have side effects from fermented foods (that's because of my medical situation). It has S. Boulardi which is a beneficial yeast and is sometimes used for helping people with c.diff infections. Some people respond well to it. Others do not. My husband has a bad reaction to S.boulardi. So, he can't drink it. He wouldn't want to. It's not to his liking.
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Kombucha! I home brew with green tea and hibiscus. I like raspberry, Concord grape, or Granny Smith apple for my second ferment.
    I like it bubbly and vinegary (between a ph of 3 and 2).
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    I find most kombucha blends you can buy to be too acidic or vinegary. My hubby makes our kombucha and we will blend it after the fermentation process with an organic juice. After blending, we bottle it and let it sit for a day or two before refrigerating it. Tastes yummy.

I think we need a homebrew kombucha thread. I'm addicted to it and homebrew would be so much cheaper. Tips and tricks?

• BinaryPulsar
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I had to stop drinking it because of the mast cell (histamine) problem I have. But, maybe someday again. That might be why it made me feel good because the histamine reaction was causing a psychoactive effect for me.
  • _dixiana_
    Options
    I had to stop drinking it because of the mast cell (histamine) problem I have. But, maybe someday again. That might be why it made me feel good because the histamine reaction was causing a psychoactive effect for me.

I have no idea what that means...ha
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I drink it occasionally. I feel that probiotics assist with candida. I have some kavita in the fridge now.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I wanted to like kombucha but it tastes like vinegar and pee :(. At least, the kind I tried did.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    trinairby wrote: »

I have no idea what that means...ha

Ha. That's understandable. Most people probably don't know what it means.
  • _dixiana_
    Options
    I wanted to like kombucha but it tastes like vinegar and pee :(. At least, the kind I tried did.
    Which one did you try? I like Kevita. The ginger and pineapple peach are both good. But I have to say most of the people at work that I let try it didn't care for it.