Do u cut the fat off bacon?

Options
124»

Replies

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time to even cut bacon because it is so good. however I don't see how you can cut the fat off the bacon

Different cuts of pork in different countries. The Aussie one you can pretty much peel the bulk of the fat off the slice before cooking.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I just want to know what country the OP lives in, because in the US bacon is 95% fat. I could see ripping off the little strip of fat on the edge of a slice of Canadian bacon, I do that sometimes if I am not in the mood to eat unrendered fat.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Quick question for bacon lovers,

Do you weigh bacon after it's cooked and go by some Internet calorie database? Or, read the label on the package? Which is more accurate?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There is nothing accurate about bacon.

To get an accurate reading you could set it on fire under a beaker of water and measure the temperature change of the water.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6493713
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Do you weigh bacon after it's cooked and go by some Internet calorie database? Or, read the label on the package? Which is more accurate?

My bacon label shows 2 fried strips as a serving and that's what I go by. I eat bacon once a week or less. Even if I'm off 50-100 calories I'm close enough for my own comfort.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

My bacon label shows 2 fried strips as a serving and that's what I go by. I eat bacon once a week or less. Even if I'm off 50-100 calories I'm close enough for my own comfort.

I think it's the one protein I've never weighed for same reason.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Awesome. I'll start eating bacon again for my own comfort and fat macro.
    I won't worry about being off with my count. I put cooked bacon on a couple paper towel. :) (Is that blasphemy to bacon lovers?)

Fat and protein make me feel full all day!
  • andrewjbaker1984
    andrewjbaker1984 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What is a medallion? Sounds very Gen Y, like a participation medal.

Basically just the bacon without the fat
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    daveoliffe wrote: »
    Hey everyone - lol some of your messages made me laugh. Thanks for your replies. I've decided that since I'm counting calories now, I should stop being weird and just eat the whole lot without worrying too much.

LOL!!! You gonna let this lot bully you? :wink:

I've never liked the fat on bacon...I'll carry on being weird! :smile:
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    There is nothing accurate about bacon.

To get an accurate reading you could set it on fire under a beaker of water and measure the temperature change of the water.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6493713

First it's the subtle anti-bacon comments, then it's left in the fridge until it spoils. Sure, you didn't mean to, and you tell yourself it was just that one time, but eventually you just start walking right by the bacon in the grocery store and paying it no mind. Remember, bacon is food too. Don't be a baconist.
  • daveoliffe
    daveoliffe Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Just to clarify - I live in England. So my original post was referring to big fat English or Danish bacon with mostly meat and a thin line of fat which easily peels away. I've eaten bacon in the US and Canada and I wouldn't even try to do it there, cuz it's all streaky isn't it. Can I just say, I love how enthusiastic this thread has become! We've had politics, weather reports, outrage and comedy...mostly bacon related. God bless bacon.

Edit: ps I had bacon this morning. LEFT THE FAT ON. (Waits for a high five)
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I clean up and cut the fat off all of my proteins. While I don't have an answer for your exact question, I do have a suggestion. Why order fried fish to take the breaking off? I would just order or buy another type of fish.

If you like bacon, try buying center cut bacon, less fat. Also, I cook my bacon in the microwave in between two layers of paper towels which greatly reduces the fat and calories. It comes it to 25 calories and about 2 grams of fat per slice. It tastes great and much better than turkey bacon, which is not bacon.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Oh, and P.S. Don't you think now maybe that Iraq was a mistake? I say subdue those countries that manage to garner world-wide disdain (i.e. UN resolution). I am thinking now the US was tricked in to getting embroiled in a very home-grown (Saudi Arabia vs Iraq) dispute that has more to do with historical hatreds and greed.

Iraq was not a mistake, it was a well-planned strategy for making sure the US kept control over oil-rich countries. I heard Rumsfeld HATES BACON!!!
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I cut it off but just log as weight of bacon.