Lost 2 stone / 28 lbs - but no difference

Options
Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and hope I can get some help.
I started losing weight 8 weeks ago and have lost 2 stone ( 28lbs ) so far. But can't see any difference nor can anyone else. I saw some friends after ages and they couldn't see anything either :| I'm 5'6 and started at 246 lbs ( 17.5 stone ) .

It's really discouraging and don't really see any point in carrying in becoz I feel like I'll look the same.

My question is : how much weight did you lose until you saw a difference?
And when can I expect to see a difference?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The bigger you are the longer it takes to see a difference. Let's look at this logically. Can you look in the mirror and tell yourself that you look like a fit 140 lb person? Of course not. Based on that, does it make sense to quit now because you won't see a difference when you are a healthy weight? Of course not.

Keep on plugging along. You'll get there but it takes time. Realistically, it's probably going to be a 2-3+ year process. That's 104-156+ weeks. You've had good progress in 8 weeks but you've just started.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it seems the more weight you have to lose, the more you have to lose before you see a visible difference. I'm 5'7" and at my heaviest (outside pregnancy) I was 195 and a size 14 (US sizes). It took losing 20 lbs to get to a size 12, but I only had to lose 15 more lbs to get to a size 10, and only 10 more lbs on top of that to get to a size 8. Start taking measurements, as well as weighing in. Are you noticing a difference in the way your clothes fit? I can't tell you when exactly you will be able to see a difference, but if you keep at it, I know you WILL see a difference at some point. Two stone in 8 weeks is awesome!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You'll see a difference when you start to dress differently.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and am only just seeing the visual difference 23 pounds down. The measuring tape told me it's there. Once I'm in the 100's, according to my past experience, I will change clothes sizes and every 10 pounds will make a difference. But on my frame the difference between 202 and 225 is visually very little with my clothes on.
  • Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. You'll eventually notice and so will others.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    do you have any before pictures to look at and compare with current pictures. i bet there is a difference. just because others dont comment doesnt mean they dont notice.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hopefully the fat you lost is some of whats been surrounding your internal organs.

You'll see and feel a difference if you keep going, if you don't you won't. You're trying to lose weight for a reason, did that reason change or are you just miffed its not working as you expected? Or are you just looking for a validation to quit?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    It depends on physical activity too. I saw a massive difference within my first stone but I was doing a lot of bodyweight resistance training, so everything tightened up by multiple inches really rapidly. Now the changes are a lot more subtle. I think at the top end and towards the end are when it's most difficult to see the changes.

Just keep going, take pictures, take measurements and one day you'll surprise yourself by just how much you have changes.

It's also worth noting that you will have likely had a large water weight whoosh in that 28lbs, not something that's making an impact on your physical size the same way fat loss does.
  • ClaireLK1987
    ClaireLK1987 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! You have done amazingly! Think how many points you shaved off your bmi; losing that 2 stone has already hugely benefited your health! Seriously. I know it seems daunting because it seems you have such a long way to go but you need to stick at it. Best thing anyone ever said to me is that the time will pass anyway whether or not you do this so you might as well just do it! Do give yourself occasional treats to look forward to though (food and non-food). I can't really preach as I have only been at this 3 weeks but I did previously lose 5 stone in 2013 (using a vlcd and promptly put it back on and more; lesson learnt!).

No disrespect, but I don't think it's especially helpful to say it could take 2-3 years because a) although I don't know your goal weight I don't think it will and b) it's not a very positive comment when someone is already feeling daunted!

I know it's been said a hundred times but think of it as a lifestyle change not a diet and don't eliminate everything you love to eat.

Lastly I would be extremely surprised if you couldn't see a difference... You have probably asked people who see you everyday/week and it is hard for those people to notice a different but wait till you see someone you hardly ever see and they will be surprised!

Good luck! :)
  • LLT38
    LLT38 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It makes sense to point out to those of us who have a lot to lose that it will take years to get to our goals. It puts those 8 weeks in context to being a short time frame to get discouraged. Especially in the OP's case where she has been very successful in those 8 weeks. Everyone wants fast results. The successful people on this site are realistic about how much time it will really take to become a success and maintain those results.
  • Lowell_H
    Lowell_H Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and hope I can get some help.
    I started losing weight 8 weeks ago and have lost 2 stone ( 28lbs ) so far. But can't see any difference nor can anyone else. I saw some friends after ages and they couldn't see anything either :| I'm 5'6 and started at 246 lbs ( 17.5 stone ) .

It's really discouraging and don't really see any point in carrying in becoz I feel like I'll look the same.

My question is : how much weight did you lose until you saw a difference?
    And when can I expect to see a difference?

You've done very well. Stick with it.

• jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5'8" and started at 265. I'm down to 233 now but no difference in clothes sizes and nobody has made any comments (except my husband!). From experience I think it'll start becoming really noticeable once I'm close to 200 as I'll drop a clothes size then. I've found that my clothes size goes by stones (18 at 18 stone, 16 at 16 stone etc) until I'm down to around 11 stone when I'm typically a size 10 and 10 stone when I'm typically a size 8). Keep at it and focus on your end goal. Oh and there's no reason for it to take 2-3 years for you to get there unless you want it to. If you want to you could lose at a 2lb a week rate quite sensibly at your weight and for a while until you get closer to your goal (140-160 I'm guessing) and be down near your goal around the end of the year. Good luck!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It took me about 30 pounds and a slimmer face, unfortunately it took me losing 80+ pounds and regaining it and THEN looking through old photos to realize how much progress i made :( so. . . don't be discouraged
  • cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I would not expect you to see a noticeable difference yet. The numbers don't lie. You have lost weight and you are closer to your goal. Based on my personal experience, I expect that you will really start to notice once you drop below 200. Stay the course, and good luck!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hang in there! 28 lbs in 8 weeks is really fast loss... It took me about six months to get that far.

I started at 270 (5'10") and could start seeing a difference in pictures at about 235. I was down 50 before I could see it in the mirror. 16 months after I started I finally no longer look fat (to me). I'm down 83 lbs now, with 12 to go.

Don't give up! The attention will come if you persevere.
  • jemhh
    Options

No disrespect, but I don't think it's especially helpful to say it could take 2-3 years because a) although I don't know your goal weight I don't think it will and b) it's not a very positive comment when someone is already feeling daunted!

Realistic expectations are imperative when losing weight. The OP has nearly 100 lbs to lose to get to the top of the healthy weight range at 5'6". 2-3 years is realistic for that kind of loss at that height. Thinking you're going to get to goal weight in half that time and then not making it is far less helpful and more discouraging than is having reasonable goals and expectations.

Bottom line, you encourage in your way and I'll encourage in mine. The OP is an adult and able to decide what does or doesn't help him/her.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    do your measurements and update often=perhaps weekly
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    28lbs in 8 weeks How ? Was it meal replacements or surgery ?
    I find I only look different if I've exercised & cut calories if I'm over 240lbs to start as said the bigger you are it takes longer to notice
    Tbh it should be how your feeling 28lbs is a lot to lose and your body will be much healthier now.

I lost 31lbs in 9 weeks 2 years ago on a meal replacement plan but it didn't notice as much as when is lost similar with exercise as I was more toned so my body shape was smaller at the same weight as just low cal eating no exercise
  • ClaireLK1987
    ClaireLK1987 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Realistic expectations are imperative when losing weight. The OP has nearly 100 lbs to lose to get to the top of the healthy weight range at 5'6". 2-3 years is realistic for that kind of loss at that height. Thinking you're going to get to goal weight in half that time and then not making it is far less helpful and more discouraging than is having reasonable goals and expectations.

Bottom line, you encourage in your way and I'll encourage in mine. The OP is an adult and able to decide what does or doesn't help him/her.

Losing 1/1.5 to 2 lbs a week will not take 3 years.

I don't understand why some people on this forum are so aggressive! Chill out!
  • jemhh
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Losing 1/1.5 to 2 lbs a week will not take 3 years.

I don't understand why some people on this forum are so aggressive! Chill out!

Do you think that the majority of people lose 1.5-2 lbs a week all the way to their goals?