Does anyone not menstruate for extreme periods of time?

Options
2»

Replies

• rhianna818
    rhianna818 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have experienced this for going on 10 years now. Being over 300 lbs, my period pretty much stopped. I would have random ones here and there, so maybe 1 a year. But I would also have random mini periods where I would bleed for a day or afternoon, then nothing again. I've been to the doctors multiple times, many different doc's. Its all be linked to my weight. Since losing 50+ lbs, they have started to be more regular, and unfortunately seems to be making up for lost time w/ 20-25 days of extremely heavy bleeding.
    My doctor and I hope that as my weight loss continues that my hormones will even out and I will be as regular as I was in my teens.
  • meredithgir199
    meredithgir199 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Have the OB check your prolactin level. I have very irregular periods, almost non existent and was having some other symptoms like breast milk production years after I stopped nursing. The doctor discovered that I had a tumor on my pituitary gland.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    kw0728 wrote: »
    I recently went nearly 9 months without a period, with no explanation from a doctor besides the fact that I wasn't ovulating. Now I have had my period 111 days straight. I've had exams, and studies done with no real answers.

You need to be checked for fibroids--these are classic symptoms.
  • Wheezy629
    Wheezy629 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had all these symptoms. ....no period for months at a time then get one for months. Next one would be normal. No rhyme or reason to it.
    Did all the tests...ultrasound, uterine biopsy, nothing found. This went on for a good 5-6 years. Last period I had lasted 4 1/2 months straight. I had enough, demanded answers. Last thing to do was a d&c.
    That is when they found the cancer. The tumor is what was bleeding for months on end and stopping me from having a period for months and months. Terrifying I'm only 45 with 2 children at home.
    Cancer is a scary word and my post is not to frighten anyone but your body is telling tou something. Please listen to it. What was happening to me was not normal. I implore anyone having this problem to not let your symptoms to be dismissed. If caught early uterine cancer is 97% curable, many times with just surgery. I was one of the lucky ones.
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I recently went nearly 9 months without a period, with no explanation from a doctor besides the fact that I wasn't ovulating. Now I have had my period 111 days straight. I've had exams, and studies done with no real answers.

You need to be checked for fibroids--these are classic symptoms.

Seconded. I had mine for over two and a half years and they finally said it was fibroids. Had a uterine ablation, lost about 40 pounds, and have been regular ever since.
  • MissLincolnTaylor
    MissLincolnTaylor Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Update for you all... after being told i dont have PCOS it turns out i do. God damn health service.
  • yoplait311
    yoplait311 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Interesting post here. I went for 16 mnths with no period - and for no reason. Doctors couldn't find any abnormalities and didn't really seem all that concerned. I think it was due to extreme over-exercise even though my body fat levels were normal. My period hasn't been normal my entire life, and it's more than frustrating.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Update for you all... after being told i dont have PCOS it turns out i do. God damn health service.

I dunno if I'm happy that you have an answer or sad that you have PCOS. In any case, here's wishing you good health!
  • DaisyBlinks
    DaisyBlinks Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to throw out that I got pregnant on like day 130 of my cycle a couple of years ago. I had assumed/trusted Dr. Google that it was extremely unlikely to get pregnant on such a long cycle so I was a bit shocked. I was wanting to be pregnant so it was a welcome surprise but I just wanted to throw out there that even on long cycles, it's probably a good idea to take a test every once in awhile. Nobody wants to end up on "I didn't know I was pregnant" :D
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Sorry it's PCOS after all, but happy it's not cancer! This business of waiting for approval for a referral is maddening. I'm hearing it more and more these days.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

Oh sweet jesus. 111 days?!
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I've been to the doctors and they've done blood tests and a vaginal ultrasound. They suspected PCOS but it turns out it wasn't that. Think they are pretty stumped right now.

get a second opinion - definitely sounds like PCOS to me.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options

oops i missed this! at least you finally have an answer.. i was recently diagnosed with PCOS after suffering the same for years.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Do you track your fertility symptoms? If you are not on hormonal medication, then you will only have a period after you ovulate. Keeping track can help you and your doctors. My "normal" is 24 days - 10 days before ovulating at 14 after - which is NOT typical and royally skews the numbers on the doctor's LMP charts. Sometimes I'll jump to 35 days or so, because of an atypical pattern, like this month I ov'd twice (actually not uncommon, we just don't pay attention).
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    It is entirely possible to have PCOS AND fibroids or other issues. I certainly did.

I had a fibroid the size of a volleyball growing through my uterus (VERY painful) by the time I got around to having a hysterectomy.

My periods were never any more regular than every 6 weeks. Stress and trauma can stop periods too--didn't have one for more than a year after brain aneurysm and multiple brain surgeries.
  • worddigger
    worddigger Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I would guess they did a complete thyroid hormone panel test? That should include antibody testing as well as tsh, t4, and t3, among them... Something to check out...hypothyroidism is very typical in irregular menstrual cycles.
  • shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I used to be regular up until three months ago when it suddenly stopped. Im not pregnant and dont know why, but im being tested for polycystic ovarian syndrome and whatever else it might be next Tuesday.
  • AutumnMarie3639
    AutumnMarie3639 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a period in almost 2 years. I also have PCOS.
  • Raerising78
    Raerising78 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and fibroids.... With pcos you don't really get your period but in my case I have a small fibroid on the inside of my uterus which is aggravating my uterus and making me have very heavy painful periods. I also bleed when working out or when I ovulate... Dr. says I have too much estrogen in my system so she put me on a progesterone pill to try to balance out my hormones. Been three months and no real change but do notice my hair has stopped falling out in clumps and the pain in my ovary is starting to ease up. Tho I'm still breaking out a lot I'm hoping it will go away. Please feel free to add me as I am looking for support and adding Instagram to log my food and healthy articles and research I'm doing. I guess it's a blog of some sort