How Accurate is the US Gov's Nutritional Calculator?

Options
Samrny
Samrny Posts: 62 Member
This is the calculator.

How accurate is it?
I put in my stats and it says I need 60 grams of protein a day, which is much more realistic for me than the 80 that MFP expects of me.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    MFP gives a macro suggestion based upon how many calories you eat so the actual gram amount can vary.

How much protein you eat (after you've met the minimum) mainly depends upon your goals and how satiating you find protein.

The US RDI for non-pregnant, non-lactating women is 46 grams. Dietary Reference Intakes: Macronutrients I make sure I consume at least that much every day. For satiety and personal preference, I aim for 60-70 grams.

ETA: I tried that calculator you linked. It looks like it's using the same formula mentioned on the PDF I linked (0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight) but calculated from the current weight you entered. Extra body fat doesn't need extra protein which is why the RDI gives a general recommendation of 46 grams for non-pregnant, non-lactating women no matter their current weight.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    The macros on that calculator are off base for active people, possibly across the board.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    corgicake wrote: »
    The macros on that calculator are off base for active people, possibly across the board.
    The DRI PDF states "RDAs are set to meet the needs of almost all (97 to 98 percent) individuals in a group" so it would include all but the most elite of athletes.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Samrny wrote: »
    This is the calculator.

How accurate is it?
    I put in my stats and it says I need 60 grams of protein a day, which is much more realistic for me than the 80 that MFP expects of me.

it's using 15% of calories, which MFP used to use as well. Since early 2014 MFP has adopted 20% because in general higher protein diets come out better for weight loss especially as the % is of a smaller calorie intake when you're losing weight.