Fast(ish) weight gain and low carb?

Options
Hey everyone, so in about the past 3 months I've managed to gain about 15 pounds from overeating, and extreme stress. It's to the point where now I have cellulite and I can't live like this anymore. I have never had visible cellulite at all, and I'm at the highest weight I've ever been in in my entire life. Does anyone think that my cellulite will go away when I get back down to my normal set weight? It's not in my genes to have it, I think I just gained way too much too fast. Also, does anyone have some suggestions of how I should formulate a low carb and high protein plan now to move forward? What steps should I take to get back to where I was? Please help.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    The cellulite will probably even back out again. No one can say for sure though.

Do you really want to do this the low carb way? I'm not experienced in true low carb diets so maybe someone can shed some light on that. If you just want to get into a calorie deficit with moderate carbs/higher protein I can suggest .6-.8 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass, or really per pound of body mass if you're comfortable on the high end. Fat around .35g per pound of body mass, the rest in carbs.
  • balanced2016
    balanced2016 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    The cellulite will probably even back out again. No one can say for sure though.

Do you really want to do this the low carb way? I'm not experienced in true low carb diets so maybe someone can shed some light on that. If you just want to get into a calorie deficit with moderate carbs/higher protein I can suggest .6-.8 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass, or really per pound of body mass if you're comfortable on the high end. Fat around .35g per pound of body mass, the rest in carbs.

Thank you for the advice! I would like to do this the low carb or moderate carb way. But higher protein... Or whatever will help me lose fat quicker
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Thank you for the advice! I would like to do this the low carb or moderate carb way. But higher protein... Or whatever will help me lose fat quicker

Doing low carb is just one way of getting into a calorie deficit. It won't be quicker, except you may experience more water weight loss initially. Losing weight is about consuming less calories than you burn. Just start right now by entering your stats into the app and logging your food, try to stay at the calories it gives you.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Doing low carb is just one way of getting into a calorie deficit. It won't be quicker, except you may experience more water weight loss initially. Losing weight is about consuming less calories than you burn. Just start right now by entering your stats into the app and logging your food, try to stay at the calories it gives you.

Agreed. Keep in mind that eating more carbs than your norm will cause you to gain water weight. Do what you want IRT carbs but keep in mind that manipulating them is more an experiment in managing water weight than in increasing/decreasing fat loss.
  • QueenofGuac
    QueenofGuac Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The best bit of advice I have is add in as much healthy veggies (low corn and white potato) as you possibly can. All the fiber keeps you full for a longer time. Animal protein is delicious but super calorie dense. Good luck!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, so in about the past 3 months I've managed to gain about 15 pounds from overeating, and extreme stress. It's to the point where now I have cellulite and I can't live like this anymore. I have never had visible cellulite at all, and I'm at the highest weight I've ever been in in my entire life. Does anyone think that my cellulite will go away when I get back down to my normal set weight? It's not in my genes to have it, I think I just gained way too much too fast. Also, does anyone have some suggestions of how I should formulate a low carb and high protein plan now to move forward? What steps should I take to get back to where I was? Please help.

Low carb - 5 or 10% of calories for keto, up to 20% for a more relaxed approach.

Protein - 20 or 25%, maybe 30 or 35% but not higher.

Fat - the rest to make 100%. Ignore any broscience BS that relates fat to bodyweight. To go low carb you're replacing carbs as the filler in the diet with fats.

In the first two weeks avoid sugars and starches as much as you can, limiting them to non-starchy vegetables. Increase your salt intake a couple of grams a day especially at the lower carb intake levels.

Eat sensible portions of meat or fish - about 4 ozs / 113g per meal - and choose higher fat / oil options. No diet foods, lean, lite etc. Chicken and tuna aren't a good fit.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    It comes down to: "Do you want to lose FAT, or do you want to just lose weight (Muscle/water)".
    If fat loss is your primary goal, then CARBS matter! Cut'em!!!
  • kay_norton
    kay_norton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi!

If you are eating low carb, you need to be advised that you cannot exercise at the intensity that you need to be to lose weight. In order to lose the weight and keep it off, you need to eat around 45-65% of your calories in the form of carbs, depending on how active you are. Carbs are fuel for your body to function, just like gas for a car. A majority of the carbs that you will consume, will go straight to your muscles, and when you strength train at the gym, your muscles will use those carbs to contract. A huge benefit of strength training is that you will ensure the loss of fat (and fat ONLY), you'll get that tight appearance you dream about and muscle burns more than 2X the calories per pound than fat.. it burns about 9 calories per pound PER DAY.. for a 180-pound person that 1,620 calories burned, AT REST.
    Have I convinced you to eat carbs yet??
    You have to "eat to compete," as my favorite college professor always said.

Cheers,
    Kay
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    kay_norton wrote: »
    Hi!

If you are eating low carb, you need to be advised that you cannot exercise at the intensity that you need to be to lose weight. In order to lose the weight and keep it off, you need to eat around 45-65% of your calories in the form of carbs, depending on how active you are. Carbs are fuel for your body to function, just like gas for a car. A majority of the carbs that you will consume, will go straight to your muscles, and when you strength train at the gym, your muscles will use those carbs to contract. A huge benefit of strength training is that you will ensure the loss of fat (and fat ONLY), you'll get that tight appearance you dream about and muscle burns more than 2X the calories per pound than fat.. it burns about 9 calories per pound PER DAY.. for a 180-pound person that 1,620 calories burned, AT REST.

Cheers,
    Kay

Say what? Lol
  • jemhh
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi!

Cheers,
    Kay

What a load of nonsense. I am not a low carber but I eat 100-150 grams of carbs most days. That's around 25% of my calorie budget. My lifting and cardio are fueled well, not that "exercise at the intensity that you need to be to lose weight" is even a real thing. I maintained a 50 lb loss all of last year and am only cutting calories now in order to lose additional weight.

All weight loss is accompanied by loss in lean mass, be it water or muscle. There is no fat-only loss. And muscle burns 6 calories per pound, not 9 ( see table.)
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Hi!

Cheers,
    Kay

What a load of nonsense. I am not a low carber but I eat 100-150 grams of carbs most days. That's around 25% of my calorie budget. My lifting and cardio are fueled well, not that "exercise at the intensity that you need to be to lose weight" is even a real thing. I maintained a 50 lb loss all of last year and am only cutting calories now in order to lose additional weight.

All weight loss is accompanied by loss in lean mass, be it water or muscle. There is no fat-only loss. And muscle burns 6 calories per kilogram, not 9 per pound ( see table.)

Yes.... So full of nonsense I could only muster a "LOL". You don't need to exercise at all to lose weight (I lost 45 lbs without any exercise whatsoever). You just need to create a calorie deficit. Now that I'm close to goal I have begun exercising, and I do eat LC (not as low as some, but I shoot for 50 g per day). No issues with performance, other than I'm out of shape from years of not exercising ;). I do try to have my carb-heaviest meal of the day within an hour of strength training because insulin does seem to help muscle growth and repair, but I certainly don't need to make friggin half my day's calorie intake carbs! Apparently Kay never heard of ketones. Or gluconeogenesis. I wonder what her college professor actually taught? English lit?

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    Hi!

Cheers,
    Kay

All weight loss is accompanied by loss in lean mass, be it water or muscle. There is no fat-only loss. And muscle burns 6 calories per kilogram, not 9 per pound ( see table.)

Yes.... So full of nonsense I could only muster a "LOL". You don't need to exercise at all to lose weight (I lost 45 lbs without any exercise whatsoever). You just need to create a calorie deficit. Now that I'm close to goal I have begun exercising, and I do eat LC (not as low as some, but I shoot for 50 g per day). No issues with performance, other than I'm out of shape from years of not exercising ;). I do try to have my carb-heaviest meal of the day within an hour of strength training because insulin does seem to help muscle growth and repair, but I certainly don't need to make friggin half my day's calorie intake carbs! Apparently Kay never heard of ketones. Or gluconeogenesis. I wonder what her college professor actually taught? English lit?

And she thinks someone is all muscle (an 180 lbs person is not 180 lbs of muscle)
  • jemhh
    Options
    Hi!

Cheers,
    Kay

And she thinks someone is all muscle (an 180 lbs person is not 180 lbs of muscle)

Goodness gracious. I didn't even catch that part!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Low carb and high protein is an unusual combination. Most low carbers will be moderate in protein and high in fat because fat does not raise blood glucose or insulin levels, which is thought to aid in fat lss for those who are carb sensitive (or insulin resistant). Eating fat does not cause weight gain unless you are eating a lot. For example, I have lost 40 lbs while eating over 70% fat on most days. The high fat, or lower BG or insulin levels reduced my appetite so losing wasn't very hard.
    Hi!

Cheers,
    Kay

All weight loss is accompanied by loss in lean mass, be it water or muscle. There is no fat-only loss. And muscle burns 6 calories per pound, not 9 ( see table.)

You could be considered low carb. The upper cut off is usually considered to be 100-150 g of carbs per day. Congrats on your successes. :)
  • rippedhippie
    rippedhippie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Rather the cellulite goes away or not is not the issue. Health is. You need to eat healthy and exercise. The outcome is a better you!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

With no brain presumably :-)
  • jemhh
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Low carb and high protein is an unusual combination. Most low carbers will be moderate in protein and high in fat because fat does not raise blood glucose or insulin levels, which is thought to aid in fat lss for those who are carb sensitive (or insulin resistant). Eating fat does not cause weight gain unless you are eating a lot. For example, I have lost 40 lbs while eating over 70% fat on most days. The high fat, or lower BG or insulin levels reduced my appetite so losing wasn't very hard.
    Hi!

Cheers,
    Kay

You could be considered low carb. The upper cut off is usually considered to be 100-150 g of carbs per day. Congrats on your successes. :)

OK. I usually say moderate carb and think of low carb as 50ish grams. Maybe that's very low carb though :) And thank you.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Hi!

Cheers,
    Kay

OK. I usually say moderate carb and think of low carb as 50ish grams. Maybe that's very low carb though :) And thank you.

Yeah. Below 50g is often called very low carb and getting into a ketogenic diet at that point. There are no hard lines on what low carb is for everybody.

You could call it moderately lowish carbs. ;) I won't get into what some people call my level of carb intake. ;) LOL
  • kay_norton
    Options
    Hi!

Cheers,
    Kay

I really won't argue with people who are uneducated. My guess is likely you don't hold a degree in the field so you're not knowledgable enough to negate proven scientific research.
    I never said a 180 lb person was pure muscle.. that's impossible. What I said was, if weight training is included in the exercise regime, anything your body burns, any calories that your body burns during exercise, are in the form of fat. That is what the research shows. Read a little more closely next time.
    I won't sit here and argue all day, but it's likely that none of you hold two national certifications, have a Bachelor's degree in Kinesiology and Exercise Science, or are going for your Master's in Exercise Physiology. It's likely you probably don't even know how to do research properly.

I mean, what do I know though, right?
    :wink:

Have a lovely day everyone.
  • kay_norton
    Options
    Hi!

Cheers,
    Kay

By the way, the research that you have attached, if you look up at the top you'll see that it's from 7 years ago.

Sorry for embarrassing everyone.
    Kay :smile: