• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    kay_norton wrote: »
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Hi!

If you are eating low carb, you need to be advised that you cannot exercise at the intensity that you need to be to lose weight. In order to lose the weight and keep it off, you need to eat around 45-65% of your calories in the form of carbs, depending on how active you are. Carbs are fuel for your body to function, just like gas for a car. A majority of the carbs that you will consume, will go straight to your muscles, and when you strength train at the gym, your muscles will use those carbs to contract. A huge benefit of strength training is that you will ensure the loss of fat (and fat ONLY), you'll get that tight appearance you dream about and muscle burns more than 2X the calories per pound than fat.. it burns about 9 calories per pound PER DAY.. for a 180-pound person that 1,620 calories burned, AT REST.
    Have I convinced you to eat carbs yet??
    You have to "eat to compete," as my favorite college professor always said.

Cheers,
    Kay

What a load of nonsense. I am not a low carber but I eat 100-150 grams of carbs most days. That's around 25% of my calorie budget. My lifting and cardio are fueled well, not that "exercise at the intensity that you need to be to lose weight" is even a real thing. I maintained a 50 lb loss all of last year and am only cutting calories now in order to lose additional weight.

All weight loss is accompanied by loss in lean mass, be it water or muscle. There is no fat-only loss. And muscle burns 6 calories per kilogram, not 9 per pound ( see table.)

Yes.... So full of nonsense I could only muster a "LOL". You don't need to exercise at all to lose weight (I lost 45 lbs without any exercise whatsoever). You just need to create a calorie deficit. Now that I'm close to goal I have begun exercising, and I do eat LC (not as low as some, but I shoot for 50 g per day). No issues with performance, other than I'm out of shape from years of not exercising ;). I do try to have my carb-heaviest meal of the day within an hour of strength training because insulin does seem to help muscle growth and repair, but I certainly don't need to make friggin half my day's calorie intake carbs! Apparently Kay never heard of ketones. Or gluconeogenesis. I wonder what her college professor actually taught? English lit?

And she thinks someone is all muscle (an 180 lbs person is not 180 lbs of muscle)

I really won't argue with people who are uneducated. My guess is likely you don't hold a degree in the field so you're not knowledgable enough to negate proven scientific research.
    I never said a 180 lb person was pure muscle.. that's impossible. What I said was, if weight training is included in the exercise regime, anything your body burns, any calories that your body burns during exercise, are in the form of fat. That is what the research shows. Read a little more closely next time.

You didn't write it out but your math asserted it:
    it burns about 9 calories per pound PER DAY.. for a 180-pound person that 1,620 calories burned, AT REST.

1620 ÷ 9 = 180

calories burned by muscle ÷ supposed calorie burn per pound of muscle = pounds of muscle

180 lbs of muscle on an 180 lb person = 180 lb person made of pure muscle

• kay_norton
    kay_norton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi!

If you are eating low carb, you need to be advised that you cannot exercise at the intensity that you need to be to lose weight. In order to lose the weight and keep it off, you need to eat around 45-65% of your calories in the form of carbs, depending on how active you are. Carbs are fuel for your body to function, just like gas for a car. A majority of the carbs that you will consume, will go straight to your muscles, and when you strength train at the gym, your muscles will use those carbs to contract. A huge benefit of strength training is that you will ensure the loss of fat (and fat ONLY), you'll get that tight appearance you dream about and muscle burns more than 2X the calories per pound than fat.. it burns about 9 calories per pound PER DAY.. for a 180-pound person that 1,620 calories burned, AT REST.

Cheers,
    Kay

What a load of nonsense. I am not a low carber but I eat 100-150 grams of carbs most days. That's around 25% of my calorie budget. My lifting and cardio are fueled well, not that "exercise at the intensity that you need to be to lose weight" is even a real thing. I maintained a 50 lb loss all of last year and am only cutting calories now in order to lose additional weight.

All weight loss is accompanied by loss in lean mass, be it water or muscle. There is no fat-only loss. And muscle burns 6 calories per kilogram, not 9 per pound ( see table.)

Yes.... So full of nonsense I could only muster a "LOL". You don't need to exercise at all to lose weight (I lost 45 lbs without any exercise whatsoever). You just need to create a calorie deficit. Now that I'm close to goal I have begun exercising, and I do eat LC (not as low as some, but I shoot for 50 g per day). No issues with performance, other than I'm out of shape from years of not exercising ;). I do try to have my carb-heaviest meal of the day within an hour of strength training because insulin does seem to help muscle growth and repair, but I certainly don't need to make friggin half my day's calorie intake carbs! Apparently Kay never heard of ketones. Or gluconeogenesis. I wonder what her college professor actually taught? English lit?

And she thinks someone is all muscle (an 180 lbs person is not 180 lbs of muscle)

I really won't argue with people who are uneducated. My guess is likely you don't hold a degree in the field so you're not knowledgable enough to negate proven scientific research.
    I never said a 180 lb person was pure muscle.. that's impossible. What I said was, if weight training is included in the exercise regime, anything your body burns, any calories that your body burns during exercise, are in the form of fat. That is what the research shows. Read a little more closely next time.

it burns about 9 calories per pound PER DAY.. for a 180-pound person that 1,620 calories burned, AT REST.

1620 ÷ 9 = 180

calories burned by muscle ÷ supposed calorie burn per pound of muscle = pounds of muscle

Oh my goodness, oops! What a mistake, I apologize. We would have to multiply that number by 10 to 20%, give or take, depending on how much body fat the person has.

Regards,
    Kay
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Cheers,
    Kay

1620 ÷ 9 = 180

Oh my goodness, oops! What a mistake, I apologize. We would have to multiply that number by 10 to 20%, give or take, depending on how much body fat the person has.

Regards,
    Kay

Pro tip: check your math before you insult people. Signed, the PhD candidate with two Master's degrees, who publishes regularly as a statistical analyst.

Regards,
    ClosetBayesian