Any other frustrated baker?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I've been spending hours looking up recipes online... knowing full well that I'll probably never get to make all that stuff because I just don't have the calories for it (well a piece, sure, but not a whole batch, and my kids usually don't eat that stuff. I don't know what planet they are from).

The struggle is real.

How do you all deal with it? I mean, I try to take advantage of Holidays to make some, but that's 3x a year and half the time other people want to make dessert...

Replies

• codygish
    codygish Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My wife loves to bake as well. If the item will freeze well, she will make it, cut it into servings, freeze the pieces on a sheet, and then vacuum pack or wrap them really tightly. They will keep in the freezer for a long time, particularly if vacuum packed. There is a small, hand vacuum pump system from ZipLock that is inexpensive.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Can you make treats to take to work? If it's the baking that you enjoy, and not the devouring, that might be an option. If you're married/partnered you can also send some with your spouse.
  • Francl27
    Options
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    Can you make treats to take to work? If it's the baking that you enjoy, and not the devouring, that might be an option. If you're married/partnered you can also send some with your spouse.

Oh no, it's the eating part too... lol. My husband's work has like 3 people too, and I don't work, so...
    codygish wrote: »
    My wife loves to bake as well. If the item will freeze well, she will make it, cut it into servings, freeze the pieces on a sheet, and then vacuum pack or wrap them really tightly. They will keep in the freezer for a long time, particularly if vacuum packed. There is a small, hand vacuum pump system from ZipLock that is inexpensive.

Main issue is lack of freezer space. But a lot of the things I'd like to make don't freeze well either, I think.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    How about experimenting with lower cal/unorthodox ingredients? Black bean brownies? Applesauce instead of oil? Obviously the "real" stuff is better, but not if you eat it all in two days.
  • codygish
    codygish Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Main issue is lack of freezer space. But a lot of the things I'd like to make don't freeze well either, I think.

Recipes? For ... ummm ... research purposes? :smiley:

I understand that, freezer space is often at a premium around here as well.
  • spat095
    spat095 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of individual portion dessert recipes out there, lots on pinterest. You can just make two chocolate chip cookies, or a mini cake or pie/one cupcake in your muffin tin. Nothing gets wasted or sits around being a temptation, plus you still get the good smell in the house. ;)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Baked goods are sort of calorie dense, no escaping that.
  • courtneylykins5
    courtneylykins5 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I bake a lot of doggie treats. Turns out it isn't the eating I enjoy, it's the act of baking. There are so many people in my life who appreciate me thinking of their furbabies. The downside is that now my dogs associate the oven timer going off with goodies for them so I get two huge dogs crowding a tiny kitchen every time I'm pulling a casserole oUT for dinner. :D
  • Francl27
    edited March 2016
    Options
    spat095 wrote: »
    There are a lot of individual portion dessert recipes out there, lots on pinterest. You can just make two chocolate chip cookies, or a mini cake or pie/one cupcake in your muffin tin. Nothing gets wasted or sits around being a temptation, plus you still get the good smell in the house. ;)

Yeah but it's not the stuff I'm interested in making sadly. I'm more into French pastries and stuff... although I wouldn't mind a single serving tart recipe, lol.
    I bake a lot of doggie treats. Turns out it isn't the eating I enjoy, it's the act of baking. There are so many people in my life who appreciate me thinking of their furbabies. The downside is that now my dogs associate the oven timer going off with goodies for them so I get two huge dogs crowding a tiny kitchen every time I'm pulling a casserole oUT for dinner. :D

LOL. Love it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I am on a months long experiment perfecting my sourdough. Not only do I have to wait a week between trials, I have to eat the results. I've made bread crumbs and croutons along the way to keep up. This last time I got a little smarter and split the dough to test two different risings in the same week.

My granddaughter likes to bake with me but as she is a busy teenager our events are pretty spaced apart. This past weekend we did a marathon baking for a bake sale. I brought over a recipe I've been trying (home made protein bar).

Giveaways include new neighbors, bake sales, and office staff. We just had a reorganization at work and I told the newcomers in my wing that they are on my treat list now, as a reward for joining me.

I notice that generally people are less interested in high calorie treats these days. I have to sell them as "sugar free", "gluten free", "all natural" or some other thing to help them shed the guilt. But it's all cool because there are all sorts of recipes out there these days.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    How about experimenting with lower cal/unorthodox ingredients? Black bean brownies? Applesauce instead of oil? Obviously the "real" stuff is better, but not if you eat it all in two days.

Black bean brownies are actually really good. Just don't eat a lot or you will be sorry. And applesauce instead of oil is not a bad sub, but sometimes even just halving amounts works well without a huge difference in taste. Of course, I have never made French pastries...
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Have you considered donating baked goods? Maybe there's a place close to you where people might appreciate fresh baked goods. I used to volunteer at a refugee house where they had a kitchen but I they only cooked very basic meals. Once they were sure I wouldn't feed them things forbidden to them by their religion, they were very appreciative of cake.

Unfortunately I lack the time to volunteer regularly so now I bake and feed it to my colleagues or my pupils, but only as a special treat.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My downfall is home made honey whole wheat or sourdough bread; I can eat a whole loaf in a day! I have avoided baking since Christmas, but maybe if I slice and freeze.....
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    If I really feel the need to bake the guys at work benefit from the results - that way I can still lick the bowl and have a piece of cake but not binge.

I you can't send to work are there families or old people near by who could benefit?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Maybe your kids don't like baked goods but their friends probably do. Invite some teenagers or college students over to your house. I baked 3 dozen cookies on Monday. They are gone by Saturday. My teenager showed great restraint but ate a lot of them.
    Our library has a cooking club. They meet once a month to share food. Maybe your library has something similar.
    Join a group that has bake bake sales.
    Start a baking business.
    Make just a portion of a recipe.
  • Paiger816
    Paiger816 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You can always bake and donate. I know a lot of women's shelters, soup kitchens, AA meeting type places would LOVE a few dozen bars or cookies.

I thankfully work with 15 hungry guys at work, so I bake a ton and just take to work. Mint Chocolate cupcakes are happening this week for Saint Patrick's Day! :D
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I've been spending hours looking up recipes online... knowing full well that I'll probably never get to make all that stuff because I just don't have the calories for it (well a piece, sure, but not a whole batch, and my kids usually don't eat that stuff. I don't know what planet they are from).

The struggle is real.

How do you all deal with it? I mean, I try to take advantage of Holidays to make some, but that's 3x a year and half the time other people want to make dessert...

My new favorite thing to do is look at recipes and figure out how I can adapt them to make them less caloric and still taste good. There's a zillion websites devoted to such things.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I, too, love to bake, and love to eat. And for a true gourmet, things like black bean brownies (black bean bricks sweetened with chocolate) are not adequate baking substitutes. My husband being prediabetic and on a low-carb diet has put a huge slash through most of my baking experiments.
    I've started experimenting with freezing my batters and doughs in small portions, so I can make a few cookies instead of a batch, but with things like yeast dough, as you'd use for French pastries, that won't work. And there is no substitute for real butter in pastry dough. :( I find myself really looking forward to holidays!

I've started making little mini-tarts in cupcake pans instead of whole pies. Making just six little mini-tarts gives us each dessert, and then a couple to take for lunches later in the week.
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I bake, a lot, but I have to give it away! my employer who recently passed away managed to get through plenty of cake each week, so now i'm kinda 'lost' as he's no longer around, but am also experimenting with gluten, sugar, dairy free recipes for a friend who is starting up a naturopathy practice, I hope she gets lots of clients who want to try the products of my labours!