March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    March goal—can I make 120 km?
    second half on 3/27—Dongguan Songshan First Annual
    3/1—3.31 km having trouble getting my butt out of bed.
    3/3—5.09 km
    3/4—7.01 km—dear self, remember if you’re going to run to use your inhaler, mmkay?
    3/7—3.9 km would have run more but yeah…excuses
    3/9—5.06 km
    3/11—5.22 km
    3/13—5.90 km
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Loving all these race reports today, you guys! Seems like this was a big day for racing! Too many posts to go through and find all the names (sorry, I'm lazy!), but if you raced today or are racing tomorrow, congrats! :)

I'd love to run a HM with some of you some time - not *with* you (pant, gasp, pant), but meet up and say hello, etc. ... if any of you runs in Virginia - particularly Richmond, please keep me in mind. :)

@4leighbee I really want to get to Virgina Beach for one of their big races (RnR or the Yuengling race), but have to save up some money to do it since I'd have to get a hotel. Maybe we can have an East Coasters meet up next spring! RnR is early in September, but... wouldn't that be a hot date for a race in Virginia?!

I'd make a trip for this!

@kristinegift and @Elise4270 ... Yes, probably humid, but from what I understand, you get a steady breeze off the water while you're on the boardwalk (I've heard that's good and bad) - the race is flat. I've always wanted to run that one. There's also the Shamrock Half in the Outer Banks (North Carolina). Can't believe I've never done either. The Richmond Marathon (and half) are voted "the friendliest" in the country. Now that is a wonderful race! Bands all along the course, people cheering from beginning to end. That one is in September, too.

I like the sound of the Richmond Marathon (well, the half...I'm not sure if I'll ever get into doing a full). I have some family in Richmond, and it's a place I've been meaning to visit for a while. This race may need to be added to my "race bucket list!"
  • zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    03/02 4.5 miles Legs took a while to warm up seriously thought of turning back home at mile 1 but persevered with it and turned into a really good run.
    03/04 4.6 miles Kept it comfortable rather than the build up that was suggested legs wanted a slight break
    03/06 8.7 miles Bit hillier than I normally do so was rather happy to find that I could run up the hill on the route.
    03/08 4.4 miles
    03/13 11 miles Longest run so far! Decided on a new route to change up the scenery for the long only to find part of the footpath closed so ended up almost trail running in trainers definitely not designed for the job but was determined to persevere with it managed to get back onto the path not too far on so happy that I managed to complete it. Achy this morning with rather large blister on the arch of my foot think my osteo is going to love me for that tomorrow much better state than I thought I'd be in.

exercise.png

Sounds like a lot of good races going on this weekend congrats on all the finishes, less than a week now to my first ever official race.

03/20 Canterbury Riverside 10k
    05/29 Edinburgh Half marathon
  • instantmartian
    Options
    I had another not-so-fantastic run on Sunday. This is starting to get pretty old. I went out on Sunday morning with the intention to do 6 miles. I went down to Philly with my boyfriend (he rows out of one of the boathouses on Boathouse Row) and was looking forward to an awesome morning run along the river when he was at practice - 3 miles out, 3 miles back. The first 2 miles felt awesome. I had a great, comfortable pace going, and I felt like I could run forever. Mile 3 was a bit slower, and just felt so-so. I turned around. Mile 4 felt absolutely awful. I stopped my Garmin, abandoned my run, and walked the two miles back to the boathouse. At this point, I'm just hoping to not die during the 15K in three weeks. Thankfully, it's flat.

It also looks like I won't be hitting my March mileage goal. Oh, well.

I want to send out a great big congratulations to everyone on their races this past weekend! I love hearing about firsts, PRs, and people winning spots at races. :smile:

I have to do a little bragging, here, because I'm sure many/most of you will appreciate this: My cousin started a program about a year and a half ago called the Spark Running Club. It's a running club for kids. She was a very accomplished runner in high school and college, but she told me she never loved running - she did it simply because she was good at it. (She is also the most positive, inspirational, and awesome person I know.) When she decided to get healthier a few years ago, she started running because it is what she knew, it can be relatively inexpensive, and it worked well into her crazy work travel schedule. Last year, she got her two sons and a few of their track friends together to get them to run off-season, and it has seriously turning into something amazing! Anyway, both of her boys (ages 12 and 14) ran their first sub 20:00 5K this past weekend. I am so darned proud of those two! I can't wait to see what kind of runners they both turn into. I see super-amazing things in their futures!

03/01 3.47 mi
    03/03 3.25 mi
    03/07 2.71 mi
    03/09 4.00 mi
    03/13 4.00 mi
    TOTAL 17.43 mi
    GOAL 55.00 mi

2016 Races:
    02/21 – Disney Princess Half Marathon – 2:38:29 (included 16 stops to either take photos of something or have my photo taken with something)
    04/02 – Philadelphia Hot Chocolate 15K
    04/09 – Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K
    04/16 – River Horse 6K
    05/01 – Blue Cross Broad Street Run (10 miles)
    09/18 – Rock 'n' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon
  • freakymistkd
    freakymistkd Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    March Goal - 50km walking

March 14 - 1.5km
    March total - 34.5km

15.5km to go :smile:

• instantmartian
    Options
    @kristinegift: This happened to be in my e-mail this morning:
    5 Supplements to Increase Your Sleep Quality
    It might be worth looking into!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    ...Weather was really great and we had a tailwind most of the ride, which makes no sense because we did do a huge circle. But cyclists always complain that we only ever get headwinds...
    This made me laugh because I'm always noticing on out and back routes how I convince myself on the uphill parts going out how they will be downhill coming back, yet somehow all these uphill parts appear on the way back. Still trying to figure out how it can be uphill both ways, but believe me I know it's true because I ran it personally.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Loving all these race reports today, you guys! Seems like this was a big day for racing! Too many posts to go through and find all the names (sorry, I'm lazy!), but if you raced today or are racing tomorrow, congrats! :)

I'd love to run a HM with some of you some time - not *with* you (pant, gasp, pant), but meet up and say hello, etc. ... if any of you runs in Virginia - particularly Richmond, please keep me in mind. :)

@4leighbee I really want to get to Virgina Beach for one of their big races (RnR or the Yuengling race), but have to save up some money to do it since I'd have to get a hotel. Maybe we can have an East Coasters meet up next spring! RnR is early in September, but... wouldn't that be a hot date for a race in Virginia?!

@kristinegift and @Elise4270 ... Yes, probably humid, but from what I understand, you get a steady breeze off the water while you're on the boardwalk (I've heard that's good and bad) - the race is flat. I've always wanted to run that one. There's also the Shamrock Half in the Outer Banks (North Carolina). Can't believe I've never done either. The Richmond Marathon (and half) are voted "the friendliest" in the country. Now that is a wonderful race! Bands all along the course, people cheering from beginning to end. That one is in September, too.

I like the sound of the Richmond Marathon (well, the half...I'm not sure if I'll ever get into doing a full). I have some family in Richmond, and it's a place I've been meaning to visit for a while. This race may need to be added to my "race bucket list!"

I'm not working that weekend (Sept 3-4 RNR). And the 5th is a holiday. Sounds like it could be a lively weekend. I'm going to wait until after mid April to commit (surgery possible). I don't think I'd have a problem convincing DH to go to the beach.
    Doesn't have to be the RNR.

Anyone else interested? There's a 5k, half and a full.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I'm not working that weekend (Sept 3-4 RNR). And the 5th is a holiday. Sounds like it could be a lively weekend. I'm going to wait until after mid April to commit (surgery possible). I don't think I'd have a problem convincing DH to go to the beach.

YAY - I know Richmond well and can help with logistics, if needed! But ... the Richmond Half is actually November 12. (I knew it was fall.) Does that date for for you, @Elise4270 ... which race were you seeing in early September?
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    http://www.richmondmarathon.com/

Le'ssss do it ... ba da da da dum dum dum shhhhh bu dum ... (name that song!)

Ohhhh ... sorry - we're talking RNR - yes, okay. le'sssss do that instead. Sorry for my confusion. I'm still very close and could help with logistics of the VB race.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    odd question, How do you make yourself gear back, when you have a LLLOOONNNGGG time to prepare for a race.....like 26 weeks until the half marathon I'm registered for.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have to do a little bragging, here, because I'm sure many/most of you will appreciate this: My cousin started a program about a year and a half ago called the Spark Running Club. It's a running club for kids. She was a very accomplished runner in high school and college, but she told me she never loved running - she did it simply because she was good at it. (She is also the most positive, inspirational, and awesome person I know.) When she decided to get healthier a few years ago, she started running because it is what she knew, it can be relatively inexpensive, and it worked well into her crazy work travel schedule. Last year, she got her two sons and a few of their track friends together to get them to run off-season, and it has seriously turning into something amazing! Anyway, both of her boys (ages 12 and 14) ran their first sub 20:00 5K this past weekend. I am so darned proud of those two! I can't wait to see what kind of runners they both turn into. I see super-amazing things in their futures!

That's so cool! Sub-20 is SO FAST! I hope they're running on season too! They're gonna kill it on the track running a road 5k that fast!

Ooh, will look in to it! I tried diphenhydramine last night and it knocked me out but I was groggy for about an hour after I woke up. I need a happy medium!

@Elise4270 & @4leighbee Tentatively! I can't really afford more race registrations right now, which leaves me with sucky later date, higher fee registrations. Hopefully I'll be staying in the Princeton area though, which makes it easier to tentatively plan things! I'd probably be able to swing the HM into my fall training; I was also thinking about maybe doing the Quad Cities marathon in later September if I can swing it financially; I could fly into Moline, stay with my grandma, have a visit with my family, and probably place top 10-15 since it's a relatively small race. I'm pondering TWO marathons this fall because I'm crazy; one in late September and one in mid-late November -- maybe Philly again? IDK. My dreams are bigger than my wallet right now ;)
  • Elise4270
    Options

YAY - I know Richmond well and can help with logistics, if needed! But ... the Richmond Half is actually November 12. (I knew it was fall.) Does that date for for you, @Elise4270 ... which race were you seeing in early September?

I can do November 12 weekend also. We'll see where the group is on it. ;)
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I have to do a little bragging, here, because I'm sure many/most of you will appreciate this: My cousin started a program about a year and a half ago called the Spark Running Club. It's a running club for kids.//////Last year, she got her two sons and a few of their track friends together to get them to run off-season, and it has seriously turning into something amazing! Anyway, both of her boys (ages 12 and 14) ran their first sub 20:00 5K this past weekend. I am so darned proud of those two! I can't wait to see what kind of runners they both turn into. I see super-amazing things in their futures!

@instantmartian I see an Ultra Race/Marathon Relay Dream Team of Juniors :) - Those two lads and Skip of @skippygirlsmom. My 5k PR was 27:35 so dang that is just flying.
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2016
    Options

That's so cool! Sub-20 is SO FAST! I hope they're running on season too! They're gonna kill it on the track running a road 5k that fast!

Ooh, will look in to it! I tried diphenhydramine last night and it knocked me out but I was groggy for about an hour after I woke up. I need a happy medium!

@Elise4270 & @4leighbee Tentatively! I can't really afford more race registrations right now, which leaves me with sucky later date, higher fee registrations. Hopefully I'll be staying in the Princeton area though, which makes it easier to tentatively plan things! I'd probably be able to swing the HM into my fall training; I was also thinking about maybe doing the Quad Cities marathon in later September if I can swing it financially; I could fly into Moline, stay with my grandma, have a visit with my family, and probably place top 10-15 since it's a relatively small race. I'm pondering TWO marathons this fall because I'm crazy; one in late September and one in mid-late November -- maybe Philly again? IDK. My dreams are bigger than my wallet right now ;)

Ya I understand that! We've got some time to decide. I'll add it to Strava as soon as we get it nailed down.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    3/3 - 3.25 miles on indoor track
    3/5 - 4 windy miles.
    3/6 - 6.5 flat, windy, hot (72°) miles...sweaty.
    3/9 - 3.46 miles
    3/10 - 4.45 miles on treadmill (Trek class)
    3/11 - 4 miles on indoor track + weights
    3/12 - 7.5 hilly miles
    3/13 - 4 miles on indoor track + weights

exercise.png

@ddmom0811 - Ugh! Getting rear ended is a total pain! Glad you are OK. Based on your workouts this weekend, you must not have been too sore.
    @runner_girl83 - Congrats on the happy half!
    @kristinegift - Woot! Awesome 5k! Also, you mentioned Yuengling...love Yuengling!
    @ccnagain - Excellent! Glad you enjoyed it!
    @MNLittleFinn - I feel the same way sometimes! Good luck in Ely!
    @shanaber @Elise4270 and @ddmom0811 - I have the same weight / fat issues. Have essentially been at maintenance for ~2 years. I am terrified of gaining back the weight I lost, and over the last two months due to a lot of poor food choices and a lot of missed workouts, I picked up about 7 lbs! I just have to keep reminding myself that I can't outrun my plate, but I need to eat well enough to fuel.
  • pcarvalho3
    pcarvalho3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

exercise.png

10k Saturday (run/walk)
    7.7k Sunday (mostly walking with a few sprints)
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Got another 22 minute run in yesterday, my longest straight run yet! Try for 25 tomorrow...!

exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Felt kind of crappy starting out on my 5 miler today but finished it up feeling like a rock star!

3/1 - 5 miles
    3/2 - 5 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - Rest
    3/5 - 12 miles
    3/6 - 5 miles
    3/7 - 5 miles
    3/8 - 5 miles
    3/9 - 5 miles
    3/10 - 5 miles
    3/11 - Rest
    3/12 - 12 miles
    3/13 - 5 miles
    3/14 - 5 miles

77/150 Miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for March
    3/1 7.25 miles - 7.25
    3/2 4 miles - 11.25
    3/3 9 miles - 20.25
    3/4 3.5 miles - 23.75
    3/5 6.2 miles - 29.95
    3/6 2 miles - 31.95 << race warm-up
    3/6 5 miles - 36.95 << 8K race
    3/7 6.2 miles - 43.15