Atkins diet

Options
2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Some don't agree with this diet and believe it's not healthy and people eat a pound of bacon a day!

Where does the atkins website or diet say you should eat a pound of bacon a day?
    As far as I know it doesn't.
  • rachelrussell792197
    rachelrussell792197 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm done here!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Ok I'm done here!

You do seem to be having difficulty expressing what you intend.
  • rachelrussell792197
    Options
    Did you read the first thing I posted on this discussion page? I was looking for support and knowledge from actual people who have been on the diet because I have been shamed by friends and family for wanting to do the Atkins! So that being said I was looking for positive feedback, not people trying to correct me or throw jabs at me because I said "a pound of bacon"
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    before you shame???? I dont understand this comment.

Often times when there is a post discussing a low carb lifestyle (Atkins, Keto, LCHF, etc), folks will come in and comment about how carbs aren't bad, you are stupid for avoiding carbs, its pointless, etc. Or the latest one I saw was someone telling the OP that the low carb diet they were on was actually a medical diet and if their doctor didn't put them on it they shouldn't be doing it. There is so much ignorance and people feel the need to pass judgement and their personal feelings on the matter, rather than to move on and find a discussion that is appropriate for their lifestyle. I am not interested in Paleo so I just move past posts that discuss it. I am certainly not going to attack or judge what lifestyle you determine fit for yourself unless you are showing some extreme signs of an eating disorder. In which I would encourage someone to get help. Your diet isn't for my judgement unless you are asking me specifically to critique it or you suggest something extreme that isn't true. I'm looking at you, fat myth.

It's to the point where a lot of low carbers won't even look at the main forums anymore and prefer to remain in their own low carb groups.

Some don't agree with this diet and believe it's not healthy and people eat a pound of bacon a day!

Having been a part of the low carb world for a few months, nobody eats a pound of bacon a day. I had 4 pieces with breakfast. I probably eat bacon twice a week. Just another misconception about low carb diets.
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    Most people here are well versed in nutrition.

Debatable. People are often well versed in the diets they are interested in. There are lots of scientific studies about low carb diets. But a lot of people don't necessarily bother to read them or seek them out if they aren't interested in that lifestyle or have already pre-judged something about it to be negative.

Eating low carb is a perfectly fine lifestyle if you enjoy it. The majority of my carbs come from veggies, dairy, and nuts. I eat a lot of green veggies. I enjoy some cheese. That is not unhealthy. I eat up to 93 grams of protein a day from various sources such as eggs, chicken breast, ground beef, and the occasional bacon or steak. Some lunch meats such as turkey and pepperoni. I eat fruits such as strawberries and mini halo mandarin oranges. I am generally under 40 grams of net carbs a day. I choose reduce sugar or sugar free items if I desire to use a processed product. Such as a sugar free bbq sauce because I think it tastes better than anything I've tried to make. I buy reduced sugar ketchup.

What I don't eat : bread, pasta, rice, corn, potatoes. I try to reduce my sugar intake as much as possible. Sure it's a major adjustment, but I am happy and just fine without these items, and I do believe that I feel better not eating them.

Edit :

I prefer keto as my low carb diet of choice. I follow this calc to get my carb/protien/fat macros and follow accordingly. I still need to track calories to loose weight. Low carb isn't a free for all to eat as much meat and cheese as you want.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It is often simplest to not discus LCHF or Atkins on the main boards. It tends not to go very well. ;)

Try the Low Carber Daily group. Most of us are on something very similar to Atkins. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

And you could eat a pound or two of bacon per day and still lose... http://ketogasm.com/the-bacon-experiment-interview/ I don't think I could do a month of bacon though. That's a lot of processed meat, and it could potentially turn me off bacon. Not something I want to risk. ;) Short term though, I think a bacon fest sounds awesome.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Did you read the first thing I posted on this discussion page? I was looking for support and knowledge from actual people who have been on the diet because I have been shamed by friends and family for wanting to do the Atkins! So that being said I was looking for positive feedback, not people trying to correct me or throw jabs at me because I said "a pound of bacon"

If your concern is that people will assume you are eating lots of bacon or in an unhealthy way, just tell them that's not what it involves. Or if you think Atkins has stereotypes associated with it, just tell them you are cutting carbs or nothing at all.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I merely wanted to dispel the stereotype you perpetuated. It does no one any good to cast atkins in false light.

That said, there are MANY low carbers here.

Folks here can offer plenty of support:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

I lost >42 lbs in 6 months on Atkins in 2010 and continue to eat that way. I didn't / don't follow the plan to the letter (drinking alcohol for example) but there's no reason to be worried by the opinions of fools. Do the research, make up your mind and do what you want to do. See if it works for you, you'll know in a month.
  • rachelrussell792197
    Options
    Thank you!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

If you are looking for SUPPORT only - then use my recommendation for the Adkins group ( 2nd post - link above). Users & supporters can be found there.

Most people in the forum are not Adkins users. Posting to the general forum is going to get you all kinds of opinions, both negative & positive. You can't ask for opinions (in a general forum) & then dictate, what you want them to be. Good luck
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It's Atkins with a T !
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins for about 6 months and lost a good amount of weight but found that it was unsustainable for me because I did a lot of cardio and needed the carbs to support my energy outputs. It does work but it all depends on your lifestyle, your body and what you can mentally accept as far as food restrictions.