Any other frustrated baker?

Options

Replies

• CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I've mostly given up on baking sweets because they were a huge factor in why I was so grossly overweight before. I would make chocolate chip cookies probably 3-4 times a week and would eat something like 3-5 cookies in dough alone then would eat 3-5 baked cookies. Well there was a quick 600-1000 calories. :/

I've basically poured the energy I put into baking sweets into baking breads and cooking savory dishes. On the off occasion I do make something sweet, I will try to find a way to drastically reduce calories. Applesauce and Truvia baking blends are big players. The only time I basically give up and go mostly full cal is for holiday baking. It works because it confines everything evil to a 4-6 week span.

I have dessert every night still, just now it is usually non-fat flavored Greek yogurt sweetened with Truvia or chocolate bar squares. Occasionally I will miss eating cookie dough, but B&J makes a good cookie dough froyo for 180 cals a serving. That hits the spot!
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I've been spending hours looking up recipes online... knowing full well that I'll probably never get to make all that stuff because I just don't have the calories for it (well a piece, sure, but not a whole batch, and my kids usually don't eat that stuff. I don't know what planet they are from).

The struggle is real.

How do you all deal with it? I mean, I try to take advantage of Holidays to make some, but that's 3x a year and half the time other people want to make dessert...

You can scale back the recipes to make them one or two servings. Then this way you can enjoy what you made and not be haunted by the left overs. I can look at the recipes if you would like then readjust them to a smaller serving. I am a professional chef/ pastry chef.

What sort of pastries are you interested in making?
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I bake alot and find recipes that are not as much calories. Just this weekend I made protein donuts. They were red velvet protein donuts. I change up the recipes and try them out. What I did with the red velvet recipe was I subbed pistachio sugar free fat free pudding and used vanilla whey instead of chocolate whey. Per donut calories is 56, 1.5 grams of fat, 4.7 grams of carbs and 6.8 grams of protein. Not bad.

I do the same with protein cheesecake. My recipe is 228 cals per slice 3 grams of fat, 11.2 grams of carbs and 33.8 grams of protein. Not nearly the cals for real cheesecake but it tastes just as great.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Open a bakery. You get to bake, you get to focus your energy on learning something new (assuming you haven't owned your own business), and you probably won't have as much desire to eat the food if you are doing it for work rather than for your own consumption.
  • keepupwithjack
    keepupwithjack Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do a cheat night once a week. My family goes out to eat and then I bake a small batch of cookies or brownies for us to enjoy that evening only. My 4 year old is my sous chef! :smile:

I've been wanting to make a beautiful cake that I saw in a magazine. I'll wait and make it for Easter and let everyone in my extended family enjoy it. I'll have a small piece and I'll get the fun of the process of making it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    mweckler wrote: »
    I've been spending hours looking up recipes online... knowing full well that I'll probably never get to make all that stuff because I just don't have the calories for it (well a piece, sure, but not a whole batch, and my kids usually don't eat that stuff. I don't know what planet they are from).

The struggle is real.

How do you all deal with it? I mean, I try to take advantage of Holidays to make some, but that's 3x a year and half the time other people want to make dessert...

You can scale back the recipes to make them one or two servings. Then this way you can enjoy what you made and not be haunted by the left overs. I can look at the recipes if you would like then readjust them to a smaller serving. I am a professional chef/ pastry chef.

Well my list includes anything from Flan patissier to tarts, Far Breton, those tasty brioches with pastry cream, eclairs... It's just too much work to make a couple servings most of the time (when you can even scale it down), although there are website that give recipes for small servings (Dessert for Two), and it's been helpful.

I do NOT have the skills to sell my stuff though. I'm pretty good at making horrible looking things that taste good though...
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I love to bake, but my work environment is either all or nothing when it comes to eating sweets. I bought my team (of 10 guys) a really tasty apple crumb cake, and I think 2 people ate it. So aggravated at them for their lake of cake eating. I refused to make them pie for today. :smiley: About the most baking I do now is breakfast muffins, and things of that nature that I can divvy up, and freeze portions of it.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    For the eclairs, I know you can make the pate a choux pipe and bake the shell, then safely freeze the unused unfilled portions. Flan you can make the custard take what you need and freeze the rest as well. Most of the items can be safely made then frozen and assembled later on.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It sounds like @Francl27 you get to become an expert at giving your treats away.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Open a bakery. You get to bake, you get to focus your energy on learning something new (assuming you haven't owned your own business), and you probably won't have as much desire to eat the food if you are doing it for work rather than for your own consumption.

Not a bad idea. My assistant and her family have a catering business, so she brings baked goods she's trying out to work all the time. It seems that a catering business can be a good outlet for baking desires.
  • mamaChristine
    mamaChristine Posts: 18 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Try the Protein Treats channel on Youtube. They are all high protein, no sugar, and taste amazing.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Try the Protein Treats channel on Youtube. They are all high protein, no sugar, and taste amazing.

Well I love the protein cheesecake I made last week and planning to make more this week.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    mweckler wrote: »

The struggle is real.

Well my list includes anything from Flan patissier to tarts, Far Breton, those tasty brioches with pastry cream, eclairs... It's just too much work to make a couple servings most of the time (when you can even scale it down), although there are website that give recipes for small servings (Dessert for Two), and it's been helpful.

I do NOT have the skills to sell my stuff though. I'm pretty good at making horrible looking things that taste good though...

*snort*

That's me as well. Shame having a bake sale takes so long to set up - people don't care if the goodies are wonky-looking at those.
  • retro4me
    retro4me Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love to bake too and can easily eat most of what I bake, so I can relate! Everything in moderation, though, right? So I try to bake things that are less bad more often and the worst offenders (like pound cake, butter cookies) I bake more for special occasions, especially when I know there will be others to share with. Also, I have found I will increase my exercise to offset those extra calories, it's worth it!
  • Francl27
    Options
    This thread just convinced me to make a caprese tart for dinner tonight. We'll see how it turns out, first time making puff pastry dough from scratch..
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Not a bad idea. My assistant and her family have a catering business, so she brings baked goods she's trying out to work all the time. It seems that a catering business can be a good outlet for baking desires.
    Haha, VERY bad idea! I loved to bake so started a cake business. I realised within a year that it was all about the business and very little about the baking and decorating. If you just enjoy the baking, stick to that!
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I usually find a recipe that looks fun to make, keep the amount of the finished product that I want, and dump the rest on my coworkers. They love when I bring them stuff, and I love not having it go to waste. Everybody wins!
  • mamaChristine
    Options

Well I love the protein cheesecake I made last week and planning to make more this week.

Excellent! Melanie does a great job coming up with tasty ideas. :)
  • Francl27
    Options

I didn't get it there, honestly I just dislike video recipes (except the super easy/no talk kind like 'tasty') so I didn't watch, lol.
  • mamaChristine
    Options

I didn't get it there, honestly I just dislike video recipes (except the super easy/no talk kind like 'tasty') so I didn't watch, lol.

Check out bitsyrecipes.com. Most of them are reposted there in print form. :)