Wedding dress doesn't fit :(

Options

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    I'm curious, why are so many ladies buying dresses that don't fit? I'm not judging, I just don't understand the motivation.

My wife is a seamstress and owned a wedding dress shop for a while. I can tell you that she told every bride in her shop "Do not order a smaller size!" and would occasionally refuse to put in a lower size order, or order the "correct/current" size and when the dress arrived perform the first fitting without telling the bride the size.

Her opinion was that brides are significantly more likely gain weight between ordering and delivery rather than lose - her experience bore that out.

OP - Ribbon backed dress - contact a decent seamstress and get the dress supplier/shop to order about 0.5m of extra fabric (check measurement with seamstress first). Seamstress will be able to either, add a larger the modesty panel (the bit of fabric under the ribbons) or add some width by taking out the seam allowance on some of the panels in the bodice. Note that the second option is time consuming and will cost a bit (prob over £100) since we are talking about a heavily structured garment.

Brought to you by @StealthHealth - for all your squats, dead lifts, and weeding dress dilemmas.
  • violetness
    violetness Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dealer for it or anything, but I have heard that Advocare really helps people lose weight quickly. People I actually know (not just website pictures) have lost like 20 pounds in 1 3 week session doing it. Its supposed to reset your metabolism. It costs about $200 (which is why I haven't done it yet) but maybe that's something you could try.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    violetness wrote: »
    I'm not a dealer for it or anything, but I have heard that Advocare really helps people lose weight quickly. People I actually know (not just website pictures) have lost like 20 pounds in 1 3 week session doing it. Its supposed to reset your metabolism. It costs about $200 (which is why I haven't done it yet) but maybe that's something you could try.

or just have a calorie deficit... that also works and is free!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

That sounds incredibly unhealthy, and to be honest I don't believe it anyway.

Calories in vs calories out.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

No such thing.

OP, time to bust out the food scale and be meticulous with logging your food.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Davids Bridal is having their biggest sale of the season. You might be able to score a backup dress for cheap. Knowing you have it will ease some of the stress, but may also in turn motivate you lose so you can wear the dress you love more.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options

Brought to you by @StealthHealth - for all your squats, dead lifts, and weeding dress dilemmas.

LOL
  • qb63
    qb63 Posts: 88 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

20 pounds in 13 weeks is about what you can expect with a reasonable calorie deficit, no?

ETA: Never mind, I think I read that wrong. 20 pounds in 3 weeks? Yeah, that sounds do-able and sustainable. ;)
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, why are so many ladies buying dresses that don't fit? I'm not judging, I just don't understand the motivation.
    I feel the exact same way. I just don't get it and I am a woman. I would rather alter down then go crazy.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    6 months is plenty of time. You can do it!
  • jackjackattck
    jackjackattck Posts: 117 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    chinny88 wrote: »
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    rmnc0427 wrote: »
    Hi chinny88! I have 3 months till my wedding day! I'm going tomorrow to try on dresses and I am freaking out! I'm dreading the comments from my family mainly! Just been trying to avoid this but since my sister booked the appointment I gotta do it now...

How is this working? My dress took 7 months from order to come in.

Mine too

rmnc0427 I am so sorry to deliver you bad news, but you may have a hard time finding a dress. With only 3 months before your wedding, you essentially need to purchase something in a sample size off the rack directly that day and begin alterations in a month or so. My wedding is in October, and I placed the order for my dress in early February.. it won't be delivered to the store until late July. I then begin alterations 2 months before my wedding date, which would be early August.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I've never understood these responses. How do you know it's enough time? You know neither her current starting point nor the end goal since you don't know her or her dress' measurements. I understand the feeling behind the response...I mean, "you can do it!" but...based on what?
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    chinny88 wrote: »
    I work at KFC NIGHTMARE

I worked at Burger King when I was younger and at that time, we were allowed all the food we wanted, free. I didn't gain weight because I worked there and had zero interest in eating the food. It wasn't because of the way it was prepared (I worked the line) but because it was all I looked at all darn day long. Maybe once a week I had a Whopper and fries, that was it. Just because you work there doesn't mean anything, you just have to either only eat a small meal or bring your own lunch. Two dress sizes is completely doable in 6 months, if you are serious and just stick to your calorie goal. And you can do that eating KFC, just make smarter choices. :)
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

I've never understood these responses. How do you know it's enough time? You know neither her current starting point nor the end goal since you don't know her or her dress' measurements. I understand the feeling behind the response...I mean, "you can do it!" but...based on what?

Well, she said her dress is a 14 and she's currently a 16, so if she's being truthful, I believe going down 2 sizes in 6 months is certainly doable. I went down 6 sizes, from a 12 to a 6 in about 7 months, just using MFP and not starving or depriving myself. I'm 5'1" and am in my 40s.
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

My wife is a seamstress and owned a wedding dress shop for a while. I can tell you that she told every bride in her shop "Do not order a smaller size!" and would occasionally refuse to put in a lower size order, or order the "correct/current" size and when the dress arrived perform the first fitting without telling the bride the size.

Her opinion was that brides are significantly more likely gain weight between ordering and delivery rather than lose - her experience bore that out.

OP - Ribbon backed dress - contact a decent seamstress and get the dress supplier/shop to order about 0.5m of extra fabric (check measurement with seamstress first). Seamstress will be able to either, add a larger the modesty panel (the bit of fabric under the ribbons) or add some width by taking out the seam allowance on some of the panels in the bodice. Note that the second option is time consuming and will cost a bit (prob over £100) since we are talking about a heavily structured garment.

I listened to this, was in between sizes so ordered up a size, and then managed to lose so much weight that it now needs to be taken in a LOT. Also not ideal, but I have a very capable tailor so am trying not to stress. Wedding in 6 weeks... OP - 6 months is a long time, and 4 months as well. You can certainly lose weight in that period of time. But please be realistic, and know that weight might not come off of the places you need it to come off first. There's enough stress and planning going into organising your big day, do you really need this extra worry on your plate?
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    Davids Bridal is having their biggest sale of the season. You might be able to score a backup dress for cheap. Knowing you have it will ease some of the stress, but may also in turn motivate you lose so you can wear the dress you love more.

Watch out for Davids Bridal. When I went for my first dress they put me in the sample 8 and it fit perfectly when I went to order it I saw that they were going to order me a size because as they put it most brides gain weight before the wedding due to stress. I assured them that would not be the case to order me the 8. Well I ended up getting a second dress because I couldn't fit the first one. Not because I gained weight but I had lost a whole dress size and it was cheaper to buy another one at size 6 than alter the first.

BTW that's is how Davids Bridal makes their money on the extras and the altering
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you have to lose to fit in the dress? Find out this number, and then set your daily calorie goal accordingly.

Then, every time you are tempted to mess up your diet, imagine yourself not fitting in your dress on your wedding day. I bet in that case, you'll wish you'd have adhered to your deficit. Use that as your motivation.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    AlisonH729 wrote: »

Watch out for Davids Bridal. When I went for my first dress they put me in the sample 8 and it fit perfectly when I went to order it I saw that they were going to order me a size because as they put it most brides gain weight before the wedding due to stress. I assured them that would not be the case to order me the 8. Well I ended up getting a second dress because I couldn't fit the first one. Not because I gained weight but I had lost a whole dress size and it was cheaper to buy another one at size 6 than alter the first.

BTW that's is how Davids Bridal makes their money on the extras and the altering

For sure. I had an all out fight in alterations when they pinned up the front of my dress and then explained that they couldn't touch the train because it would 'change the design of the gown' which they weren't supposed to do. Okay, they work with designers, so I get that, but somehow it also meant that they couldn't hem it proportionally all the way around either? It looked absolutely ridiculous that long in the back. After some hard words with a manager about how the consultant should have ordered me a petite ("I don't think this design comes in petite." "YES, IT DOES!") I told them to pack it up and I would pay for what they had done but I was taking it elsewhere to be completed. Ultimately they agreed to hem it proportionally, but then for my second fitting I got a really cool girl who said screw the rules, and agreed that it would look better hemmed at one length all around.

BUT ANYWAY! I think these super sale dresses come off the rack so you would be limited to what size they have, but yes, take it someplace else for alterations. (If they let you?) And get your accessories somewhere else too. I wore a $12 veil from Amazon.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    6 months is probably plenty of time to drop a dress size. Stick with your deficit, or plan on some major alterations.

I was in between the 2 & 4, but only 1 inch off in measurement from the 2....so I went with that. But cutting a few pounds is not a problem for me.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options

I see that on here a lot and have been wondering the same thing but didn't have the courage to ask. Personally, if my weight were such an important part of the wedding day, I would lose the weight first and then set a date, so I could find the "dream" dress and actually know how it's going to look on the big day. It also sounds like wedding dresses manufacturers don't participate in vanity sizing like so many other retailers, how would you even begin to be able to guess what size you would need once you lose the weight? Also, it may look totally different once you've lost the weight, what if you lose a lot of weight in your chest and no longer fill it out enough for it to be flattering (just one of many possible sensations). I don't know, it seems like buying a dress before losing weight is way to risky - I wouldn't want to leave so much to chance.