Do you ever get disappointed if goals aren't met?

Options
Just wondered how you react if your goals aren't met or when you haven't lost any or much weight after changes you have made to diet &I exercise. Iv put 2lbs on and feel so disappointed in myself :( do you put more pressure on yourself or do you just get back up again and keep at what your doing? X

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I gained two pounds my first two weeks and it definitely demotivated me. But I wasn't on MFP yet (joined at the end of the third week) and quickly learned about weight fluctuations and accuracy in logging. So now I just take the gains as they come.
  • mwood1234
    mwood1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was disappointed that I gave into chocolate this weekend and went over my calorie goal both Sat and Sun. This week I'm determined to stay on track. Was up 2 lbs. from bloat etc. I figured I was because I felt it. It's also my female thing.... I'm keeping positive today tho. I can't let the blues sink in too deep.
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    It's easy to just throw in the towel at disappointment. I've been annoyed enough that I just eat whatever the heck I want for a few days/weeks, but then I get right back at it. I know it works. I KNOW IT! Deep in my bones, I know what I have to do to be successful. If it wasn't working, what can I tweak? More water? Less carbs? More protein? What can I try for the next round to better my chances? I've given up too many times. Trust me, it's worth it to keep at it. But analyze and see what you can tweak. Were you really accurate with your calorie tracking? Did you eat too many frozen meals with tons of sodium? What could you tweak?
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of goals I have.

I don't do well with outcome goals such a "lose a pound this week". Losing less than a pound is failure. Failure stinks. I get discouraged even though I know it's not always possible to lose at the expected rate.

Process goals, such as "eat a vegetable most days this week" work better for me. It's entirely within my power to do these things.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    no.
  • BreefitnessBreef88
    BreefitnessBreef88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I find it very discouraging to not meet weightloss goals. In my case I've gained since my last weigh in. I was 227 3 weeks ago before I started mfp. I was 217 a week ish ago when I started mfp. I joined a challenge to lose 50 lbs by Aug 31. I was stuck at 217 for my first weight in. And in the past 3 days the scale says I've gone up 4 pounds! Mind you I was so discouraged that I wasn't going down so I didn't workout the Fri sat or sun. And I cheated really bad those 3 days. Eating subway and dq. I was doing so good too before that. I had only taken 3 rest days in 3 weeks of working out. Now I just have to tell myself that today is a new day and start again! I did work out for about 55 min today even though I didn't have much energy. I made myself. I just want the scale to go down.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    No. I tend to set unrealistic goals anyway. I feel good, and that's good enough for me.

Unless you were actually overeating, you shouldn't worry about two pounds. That is well within normal weight fluctuation due to hydration, TOM, etc.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I get annoyed and disappointed but then I have to move on. I did a lot of stress eating this weekend and I'm upset with myself about it but what can I do other than get back to normal today.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yes. I reached my GW of 140, then promptly put on 2.5# because of my ToM. Now I'm eating at at minuscule deficit (-50 cals a day) in order to not go back above 140 due to ToM gain. Kinda lol'sy.

ETA: I did get disappointed when I didn't make my 100# lost my first year (got to 92). I also get disappointed at myself for not losing as fast and as much as other people.
  • BreefitnessBreef88
    BreefitnessBreef88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    What is Tom?
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    What is Tom?

Time of the Month

It's really hard not to be disappointed when the scale goes up, but it can be due to many reasons, one of which is putting on weight. Just this past week ive gone up by 3lbs but by today, weigh in day , I was 4lbs down . By weighing everyday I am able to see the trends spot the times I go up and recognise why and I actually lost 2lbs this week next week it might only be 0.5 of a pound but eventually it evens out.
    Don't be hard on yourself , just keep doing what your doing , logging accurately as possible and keeping to your deficit.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I could not survive on scale goals only. The key for me is to have multiple goals--weight, measurements, appearance, new recipes, and various fitness goals--walking, plank time, weights, etc. Something is always going well so I focus on that. Although I have time frames in my mind, I stay flexible with them. I have very little control over how FAST something happens. Sometimes sooner, other times later, it just depends on what my body wants to do. If your goals are discouraging you, it might be time to reevaluate and set achievable goals. With a variety of metrics.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I use to. I've reached so many goals now that I realize times my best friend. If I am accurate and weigh and measure everything I know I'm loosing weight no matter what the scale might say. Progress is sometimes not visible due to sodium, muscle soreness, bowel movements, etc etc...if your accurately logging and measuring you KNOW your loosing weight so don't weigh yourself but once a week or in my case once a month. Who needs Thier moods dictated by a # on a scale!!!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of goals I have.

I don't do well with outcome goals such a "lose a pound this week". Losing less than a pound is failure. Failure stinks. I get discouraged even though I know it's not always possible to lose at the expected rate.

Process goals, such as "eat a vegetable most days this week" work better for me. It's entirely within my power to do these things.

Same with me. I do set outcome goals, but somehow I know in the back of my mind that they are inspirational and never get bothered if I miss them, so long as I've made progress. I tend to take process goals much more seriously, as well as achievements I have more control over, like run a half marathon or bike 50 miles.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I hate disappointment so I don't really set goals. I do have a target weight that I like to maintain and that's easy enough. But setting fitness goals in the past has mostly led to injury or sickness related failure and again, with me hating disappointment, I have stopped setting them and just go along with what I enjoy. Pushing myself when I feel I'm up for it.
  • samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I get really, really, really discouraged when goals/expectations aren't met. I can't even play the lottery because I get pissed (like, crazily, unreasonably angry) when I don't win. That's why I make my goals (a) achievable and (b) 100% (or near enough) within my power to achieve. My goal right now is about my log-in "streak" on MFP.

I'm also eating at a medium-sized deficit and working out more, but those are less goals and more daily choices. If I don't do them one day, whatevs, but I usually do because it's what I want to do that day, for the sake of my today self and my future self.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Yes I get disappointed. What's the point of setting goals if there's not a consequence to failure? If I miss a goal, I chalk it up to a learning experience, adjust my approach, and make another run at it.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I get depressed enough to the point that emotional eating wants to kick in. I have to give myself a pep talk about it just being 1 thing in life, not the end of the world. If needed, I'll get out of the house and do something like go for a walk, or just take a drive, get some gas, something to get me out and about to kick the funk.
    I also stopped making timeframe goals. All my goals are now about when I meet a weight loss point, rather than "by June I want to loose 10 pounds", and that helps. I'll still join the motivation groups on challenges like that, but it's more of the social aspect.
  • TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I was. So I decided to not have specific goals anymore. I strength train, eat and enjoy the process. Trying to ditch the scale completely too. I guess that's a goal. :wink:
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I try not to have unrealistic expectations - if I lose ANY weight when I get checked, then of course, I am happy. If I dont, then I tell myself well - you didnt gain any. If I happen to gain 2 pounds, I would tell myself well - you didnt gain 5 pounds! Body image is a lot more than just what the scale tells me, so I have other markers that are meaningful for me, like clothing, activity level, pain response (bad knees) etc. If I believe (and I do) that maintaining a healthy lifestyle and managing my weight is going to be a lifetime thing, then I have to keep my eyes on the bigger picture.