March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Today is a rest day, meaning, way too much time to look ahead, and think about unreasonable/unpredictable goals for times on my 5 mile and half marathon races. I'll be shooting for sub-46 on the 5 mile, that will be pushing it for me. No clue on the half, other than finishing, but if my current training holds up, I "should" be looking at a ~2:20:00 time for it.....but that's a LONG way off
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have to do a little bragging, here, because I'm sure many/most of you will appreciate this: My cousin started a program about a year and a half ago called the Spark Running Club. It's a running club for kids. She was a very accomplished runner in high school and college, but she told me she never loved running - she did it simply because she was good at it. (She is also the most positive, inspirational, and awesome person I know.) When she decided to get healthier a few years ago, she started running because it is what she knew, it can be relatively inexpensive, and it worked well into her crazy work travel schedule. Last year, she got her two sons and a few of their track friends together to get them to run off-season, and it has seriously turning into something amazing! Anyway, both of her boys (ages 12 and 14) ran their first sub 20:00 5K this past weekend. I am so darned proud of those two! I can't wait to see what kind of runners they both turn into. I see super-amazing things in their futures!

That's so cool! Sub-20 is SO FAST! I hope they're running on season too! They're gonna kill it on the track running a road 5k that fast!

They most certainly are killing it! I can't imagine they wouldn't be doing track this year. Actually, I don't think their mom would allow them not to. :smile: The 14-year-old had an official time of 19:48, and his 12-year-old brother came in next at 19:52 - 7th and 8th in the race, respectively. Other kids in the running club had times like 20:42, 21:15, 21:26, 21:56, 22:37, and 24:20. I think it's safe to say my cousin is definitely doing something right with these kids!

juliet3455 wrote: »
    I have to do a little bragging, here, because I'm sure many/most of you will appreciate this: My cousin started a program about a year and a half ago called the Spark Running Club. It's a running club for kids.//////Last year, she got her two sons and a few of their track friends together to get them to run off-season, and it has seriously turning into something amazing! Anyway, both of her boys (ages 12 and 14) ran their first sub 20:00 5K this past weekend. I am so darned proud of those two! I can't wait to see what kind of runners they both turn into. I see super-amazing things in their futures!

@instantmartian I see an Ultra Race/Marathon Relay Dream Team of Juniors :) - Those two lads and Skip of @skippygirlsmom. My 5k PR was 27:35 so dang that is just flying.

That sounds like it could be an amazing team! Personally, I have yet to break 30:00 on a 5K, and it has been years since I've even come close.

karllundy wrote: »
    Also, you mentioned Yuengling...love Yuengling!

The race in VA or the beer? :smile:
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    NEWBIE WELCOMES: @hnewman31

@MNLittleFinn: Yea!

03/01: PLAN:4 miles easy@12:15-12:30. Windy.
    03/02: PLAN:REST DAY..Walked at work, night walk didn’t happen
    03/03: PLAN:4 miles plus strides 2.65 miles@10:50 morning, no night run due to snowy/slick
    03/04: PLAN: Rest Day
    03/05: PLAN: 4 easy miles. Went 4.67 miles total (4 miles easy plus 4 20 second strides.) 44 degrees, mist-light rain.
    03/06: PLAN: 6 easy miles. About 45 degrees, slight wind. 6.03 miles. Did two walk intervals of ¼ mile each, thought it was pretty good for being on “dead” legs.
    03/07: PLAN: REST DAY (and I’m-a take it!)
    03/08: PLAN: 4 miles plus strides. Ate, turned sloth, no run.
    03/09: PLAN: REST DAY Plan on doing yesterday’s planned run tonight instead EDIT: Same deal as yesterday.
    03/10: PLAN: 5 easy miles Not up early enough but did 3.28@11:03 in light rain, mid 50s temp.
    03/11: PLAN: Rest day
    03/12: PLAN: 5 miles easy 5.13 mi@12:20 avg.
    03/13: PLAN: 10 miles easy 10.03 miles@13:34 avg. Sort of a “gut check” for how close I am to my HM goal. I have a lot of work to do, I was only at the easy pace for 3 of the 10 and did a lot of walk intervals. But I have to keep in mind this was after a (relatively long for me) 5 mile run Sat. and I have a good deal of time before August to get my base built up. Also, it was a MISERABLE day for the first part of the run…windy/raining…and much of it was uphill so it may not be as dire as it appears.
    03/14: PLAN: Rest day I’ll do some walking…maybe some biking…pretty sore after the weekend.

exercise.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1-nothing yet
    2-yoga
    3-sicker yet. sick sick sick
    4-still sick
    so since i had no running to blog about i made a blog with some running memes.
    Happy Friday
    5-nothing
    6-nothing
    7-3.77, it felt nice. lots of people out so dog couldn't come with. i have to keep working on socialization
    8-nothing yet
    9-yoga
    10-new medicine-nauseous
    11-yoga
    12-Great Pi Race 5k. great time with some horrible hills. I would have had an amazing time without them and as it was i still beat my last 5k by 2:37min. Stepdaughter to be got second in her age group. i was 20 out of 36.
    13-rest day
    14-4.87mi happy bunny

wow the thread exploded this weekend

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 12-Great Pi Run 32:17
    May 7-Door County Half Marathon
    ?Jun 11-Rock n Sole 5 or 8k? honeymoon might interfere
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I think I need to be bad and skip my rest day, move it to tomorrow, and do 3.14 miles today, in honor of pi day
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,110 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    01/03 3.5miles
    02/03 3.5miles
    04/03 3.5miles
    05/03 3 miles
    07/03 3 miles
    09/03 4.5miles
    11/03 5 miles
    12/03 3.75miles
    14/03 3.5 miles

exercise.png

• instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I think I need to be bad and skip my rest day, move it to tomorrow, and do 3.14 miles today, in honor of pi day

I love this idea!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I'd planned on biking all week since I feel like I may be close to injury and I have a 5K Saturday and a half Sunday. That puts me 26 miles behind schedule. So I went home at lunch to get my shoes, just in case the cycling doesn't work out. Or, if it does I might still get in a short run. So now that i have a reason to go get 3...or 6 #cantskiparun
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I'd planned on biking all week since I feel like I may be close to injury and I have a 5K Saturday and a half Sunday. That puts me 26 miles behind schedule. So I went home at lunch to get my shoes, just in case the cycling doesn't work out. Or, if it does I might still get in a short run. #cantskiparun

It's horrible, I get anxious if I know a day is a nor running day. Today is supposed to be rest, but I feel like a small run will be OK.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Let's beat this March ab1e259945fec1a0b7e09de4567fe38c-d6qgssu.gif into a msn_icon_oh_sheep_by_jychjych.gif

:p

exercise.png
    • 03 - 7.5mi Commute run to work
    • 07 - 7.5mi Commute
    • 11 - 6.4mi Fisherman's Wharf Run - Embarccadero: Tourist dodge 'em
    • 12 - 5.2mi "Hate NYC..it's cold and it's damp and all the people dress like monkees" run
    • 22 -
    • 24 -
    • 29 -
    • 31 -

Year Totals - 2016 (Goal:600miles)
    c45bf3027cad941.gif

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Missed my run yesterday. It was rainy, then started hailing, and once the hail stopped I just didn't trust it not to start up again. It was small hail, but my running route has absolutely no cover to offer. Also, we spent most of the day trying to complete a remodeling project before my husband went back to work (built a wall, installed doors--made a new 9ft x 6ft pantry/storage room).

I had to work from home this morning, as we were having a new refrigerator delivered and installed. Finally replacing the 1979 model that came with our house! My husband flew out to go back to Alaska this morning, so I was the only one available to accept delivery.

Planning on making up my missed 8 mile run today after work. Definitely need the stress relief!

@Elise4270 & @WhatMeRunning - You can count me in for the beer challenge. My HM PR is currently 2:10:54 (set at the Jenks HM last year).
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Missed my run yesterday. It was rainy, then started hailing, and once the hail stopped I just didn't trust it not to start up again. It was small hail, but my running route has absolutely no cover to offer. Also, we spent most of the day trying to complete a remodeling project before my husband went back to work (built a wall, installed doors--made a new 9ft x 6ft pantry/storage room).

I had to work from home this morning, as we were having a new refrigerator delivered and installed. Finally replacing the 1979 model that came with our house! My husband flew out to go back to Alaska this morning, so I was the only one available to accept delivery.

Planning on making up my missed 8 mile run today after work. Definitely need the stress relief!

@Elise4270 & @WhatMeRunning - You can count me in for the beer challenge. My HM PR is currently 2:10:54 (set at the Jenks HM last year).

Sweet!

So nice to have a new fridge! I love it, cuz they are always clean ;) Wow, '79. Ya know the new one won't last 35 years.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    3/1.....3.0 @ 10:40 on the TM, plus strength training
    3/3....3.5 @ 11:25 on the TM
    3/5....4.5 @ 10:33 on the TM ( .5 walking and 4 @ 10:00, which I think is my farthest distance at that speed)
    3/8....4.5 @ 11:53 on the park trail
    3/9...2.5 @ 15:00ish walking the world's fattest, most slothful dog :)
    3/10...4.25 @ 11:37 on the rail trail near my house. It was so nice to be outside--and warm!--at 6 am!
    3/11...3.00 @ 10:39 on the rail trail
    3/14...3.0 @ 10:56 on the rail trail--it was a little wet and slippery; I almost landed on my rear in the creek at the water crossing! But now I wish I'd seen your idea for pi day, @MNLittleFinn , and done 3.14 miles instead of 3!

exercise.png

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    found some racing pictures too. I loved this pi run.
    p790tq7rl5b9.png
    among other things, race report
    http://runningohm.blogspot.com/2016/03/happy-pi-day.html
  • jstafaz
    jstafaz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Quick trip on the treadmill this AM - better than nothing but boy did I have to push myself to do it. The sunshine over the weekend spoiled me. Why does 3 miles indoor seem to take twice as long as 3 miles outdoors?
    Happy Monday!

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Wow just had a chance to get caught up on the thread from Friday.

Didn't run Saturday or Sunday. Saturday was all day track meet with Skip. She ran the 1600 and 800, she had to bow out of the 3200 because of a foot cramp. She said she thought her spikes we tied too tight in the 800 and that is what caused it. It was a bad one she was still putting ice on it at bed time. She was very disappointed in the 1600 6:33 time, which was 45 seconds faster than her previous 1600 outdoor time. Her 800 was 2:56 (her coach thought it was 2:53 but official time was 2:56), still a 30 second PR from her last outdoor 800 PR. She lead the entire 800 until the last 15 feet and I could see her give up when the girl passed her. She said she knew that was wrong and she should have pushed harder. I try to explain her place in a heat doesn't matter what matters is her time. I was so proud of her.

On Sunday it was drive everyone to the airport day in different cities. Allen is deploying again with work so we took him to the local airport on Sunday morning, then Skip left for a few days visit with my Mom in Florida so I took her to the Birmingham airport. The neat thing in BHM was we saw quite a few Track and Field athletes at the airport because they had the NCAA Indoor T&F Championship meet in Birmingham over the weekend. She got to talk to a few athletes from U of Texas and I can't remember where the other girl was from. It was really cool for her.

Two sides of my baby girls weekend. Before her 800m race and after her 1600m race. I love her Coach, just so compassionate and so caring.

a099jwru1lhb.jpg

Her in the middle of the picture with her Coach. I appreciate her Coach so much I sent him this picture today in an email telling him how awesome it was of him to just be there with her. I know nothing I could say would have meant anything, she said "Momma I let my coach and my team down". She was breaking my heart.

vecoc0i34n7p.jpg

@instantmartian The Spark running club sounds awesome, what incredible times your cousins are running, just fantastic!!!
    @ddmom0811 I'm so sorry to hear of the accident, I'm so glad you are okay.
    @runner_girl83 awesome time! Mr. 3 is adorable and I hope your Dad is okay.
    @MNlittlefinn great distance PR!
    @joinn68 sorry about your cousin, horrifying disease.
    @kristinegift Super job on the 5K!!! I have lots of sleeping issues, I haven't slept through the night for well over a year, but I'm old ha ha! I hope you can find something to help soon, there is nothing worse than not being able to sleep.
    @ccagain great job getting out there for the Shamrock run!
    @sleepigrl love the picture. Honestly I could never run that straight it plays with me mentally not to make turns. The trees are blooming here and are trying to kill me, all I do is sneeze all day. They are so pretty but so mean!
    @mobycarp the guy in the tall hat looks serious to me! LOL Great job on the 5 miler, super time!

didn't get my run in this morning, I was all dressed and walking out the door when the thunder and lighting started, then the pouring like I can't see the street rain. I'll do rain, but lighting - no thank you. I'll try later.

• Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    11/3: 3.2 Miles
    13/3: 5.0 Miles
    14/3: 3.7 Miles

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @moyer566 you're looking pretty happy in that pic
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    3/01: 3 miles, easy (am)
    3/01: 6 miles, 2x1 mile at LTP (7:30) then 800m @ 5K pace (pm)
    3/02: 6 miles, easy
    3/03: 5 miles, 5x800m @ 6:45 pace with 400m recovery jog between
    3/04: 5 miles, easy
    3/05: 6 miles, easy
    3/06: 13.1 miles, long and easy
    3/07: Off, have the flu
    3/08: 4.25 miles, easy
    3/09: 5 miles, easy (am)
    3/09: 5 miles, easy (pm)
    3/10: 4.75 miles, 3x800m @ 6:45 pace + 2x400m @ 6:30 pace with 400m recovery jog between
    3/11: 5 miles, super easy
    3/12: 2 miles, warm up
    3/12: 5K race, 23:27
    3/13: 9 miles, easy with strong finish
    3/14: 5 miles, easy
    Total: 87.62 miles

Overview:
    Easy 5 miles today to celebrate another week of tapering and the first day of spring break! It was 50 degrees and sunny, so I was a little overdressed in my running tights and long sleeve shirt haha. A little on the fast side today (averaged 8:55) but my legs were feeling great and the pace felt super easy! Only a few days out from my 10 mile race now; I've been training really hard for this one so I'm really hoping it goes as planned!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    3/12 - Leprechaun Leap (5K) 23:27 - 3rd female overall - 1st in age group
    3/20 - Excalibur 10 Miler
    3/26 - Chicago Quarter Marathon
    4/03 - Shamrock Shuffle (8K)
    4/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon
    5/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    3/1: Rest day
    3/2: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/3: 7 miles speedwork (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/4: Rest day
    3/5: 7.3 miles
    3/6: 15.2 miles
    3/7: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    3/8: Rest day
    3/9: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/10: 8 miles (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/11: Rest day
    3/12: 5.6 miles (2.5 mile warm up and 5k race)
    3/13: 18 miles
    3/14: Impromptu rest day

Switching things up a bit for this week. I'm visiting a friend in DC Thursday & Friday, so I won't be running those days. I was going to run once today, once tomorrow and twice Wednesday, but I just cannot get myself to put on my running shoes today. It's cold and rainy and windy, and despite sleeping almost 9 hours last night, I haven't been able to shake the all-day grogginess from the diphenhydramine sleep aid that I took last night. A recommended dose is 2 tablets, but I am going to try just one tonight to see if that helps. I missed my usual group run because I was so conked out! Anyway, to get my miles I'm just going to run 2x Tuesday and 2x Wednesday. Keeping to a similar midweek schedule, but with Monday being my rest day instead.

Happy Pi Day, everybody!

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K: New PR! 21:55
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    4/16: River Horse 6K (Ewing, NJ)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)