Long Hair and Exercise

Options

Replies

• danacondah
    danacondah Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    BRAIDS! The only thing I have found that works for me... long hair down to my middle/low back... is I put my hair in a ponytail. Tie it. And THEN I braid the ponytail and tie it again at the bottom. The ponytail prevents my hair from getting all nappy and tangly right at the base of my hairline... and the braid prevents the rest from getting tangled. Goodluck! #LongHairDontCare
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Braids and sometimes I use only a sweat band to keep my hair out of my face.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Put it in a REAL bun. Like a ballerina. When I need to get serious I do it that way. I even use one of those bun rolls, bobby pin that sucker in, hair spry. It doesn't go anywhere.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Braided ponytail.
  • Sixtine79
    Sixtine79 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    A tight half pony tail, then a braid. And a sweat band (Sweaty Bands are awesome).
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My hair is about 3 ft long, (bottom of my but) and I put it in a really high pony tail (so I can use the bench without having to steady my head) and then braid it down. Sometimes, I'll wrap that bottom bit of hair around the braid and put a tie around it. It keeps the tail from being "grabby" but it makes it kind of pendulous. I mostly do that for swimming though. I've also done the braided pony tail knot thing. Play with styles and see what works best for you. I also find that sweat pretty much keeps my fly aways and bangs slicked back...eew, I know...I sweat a lot!
  • nojuicejustjin
    nojuicejustjin Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My hair is almost by my butt at this point. I either do a high ponytail then braid or tie it in a ponytail then use another hair tie to do a bun and clip it in place. Depends on the activity but the bun normally works best for me while running swimming or lifting weights. I have thick hair so this has proved the most effective for me
  • jetskisimpson
    jetskisimpson Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have super long hair, I'm 5'4" and my hair is right above my ankles, I use of sport head band as a ponytail holder (super thick to boot) and do a super high pony I leave enough slack in holder to pull hair about 1/4 thru (like to do a floppy bun) then I take the last loop of holder and go around the floppy part, then wrap the tail (which is still bout mid back) around the floppy then I anchor it with Bobby pins. I use regular pins and roller pins like from old school rollers. I run, do hi intensity and weight lifting and it stays firm. Hope it helps. Good luck!
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    When I was much younger, my hair was down to my waist and I was a jazz dancer. For rehearsal I had a three braid system- Two side braids that tied to a bigger central braid, held in place with three hair ties. I wish we'd had the awesome silicon ones back then, because those stay put, even in the pool.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Used to have long hair for many years and the most convenient hairstyle for workouts was a very high pony tail. Plus a sweat band.
    I went recently from to a pixie cut and I have to say that the feeling after years and years of very long is really liberating. Especially during workouts.
  • TinekaGetsFit
    TinekaGetsFit Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My hair is also really long, i know the struggle!
    Braids, bun or ponytail for me!
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Mine is to my mid-back but it's not heavy/thick, so I get away with a bun that's more like a knot... Gym buddies who have thick long hair do pigtail french braids and either pin them or tuck them under a cap.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,202 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do with my hip-length hair ...

25228483366_67834680bd_z.jpg
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    really?

my hair touches my bum and i secure it with 2 bands so it stays put.

You can braid it and then loop it across at the top of the pony and secure it so it only touches the nape of your neck.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    When I was in the military, I French-braided my hair and pinned the braid to my head. Every day.

I wish I could French braid my own (or anyone's) hair. I have tried and tried and just can't get it.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    My hair is midway between bra and waist and straight, about medium thickness and kind of fine. I usually do a bun but I don't do the just wrap it method, it's kind of a twist method. I'll try to describe it ( as I do it and type). With both hand pull back hair in ponytail to the desired bun height (I tend to just above nape of the neck because I can then lie down without hair in the way). Holding the ponytail with my left hand, I grab above -closer to head with my right hand and pull the ponytail though my left hand kind of slide left hand down a little and wrap my hair around my right hand initially, continuing to pull and twist with the right while keeping your left hand in place holding the bottom of your hair. After the first wrap around my right hand, I let my hair slide to just around a finger and continue pulling and twisting until you feel your hair ends in your left hand. Now your hair is essentially folded/twisted in half. I then do a twist and wrap simultaneously into a bun shape. I then hold the bun shape with my left hand, grab the hair tie/pony tail holder on my wrist with my right hand and wrap it around a couple of times around the center of bun (the initial hand held ponytail) alternating which hand is holding the bun and then the last wrap, I go over the middle of the bun. sorry if that's confusing.

another one I've done but it takes me longer, is instead two French braids, I'll twist it. (grab a small chunk near your part line, twist, add more hair and keep twisting until you get to the back of your head, secure with hair tie at your desired height, repeat on other side), I sometimes leave it that way. I usually leave a gap between hair ties, so there is less hair on my neck
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i used ot have butt length hair. I would do boxer braids and then either bun them or tuck them under.
    regular braid and bun. or boxer braids and then braid them together. it seems that it's less swingy. or french and tuck under or bun
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Mine's always up in a bun for working out, but it has enough texture to it that it doesn't come out easily.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    This thread has been very helpful. I usually wear in a ponytail when I run but it has become too long and like others stated even if I make it a high ponytail it will just start to fall down. It's kind of thick but very fine/flat.

For the braiding, do people usually make a ponytail first then braid it after? I was never one of those girls that learned to braid my own hair. I know the mechanics but I'm not sure if I have the execution very well. Like I could easily braid three pieces of string or something, but on my own hair it ends up too loose and falls apart quickly.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    ebrass73 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Wouldn't braiding it prevent tangles?

The braiding prevents tangles, but it still gets stuck in my armpits and sports bra.

Loose ponytail, then braid, then loop the braid in through the top of the ponytail?