Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I cut mine short. I gave up.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Goody Spin Pins for buns?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    This thread has been very helpful. I usually wear in a ponytail when I run but it has become too long and like others stated even if I make it a high ponytail it will just start to fall down. It's kind of thick but very fine/flat.

For the braiding, do people usually make a ponytail first then braid it after? I was never one of those girls that learned to braid my own hair. I know the mechanics but I'm not sure if I have the execution very well. Like I could easily braid three pieces of string or something, but on my own hair it ends up too loose and falls apart quickly.

Yes, make a pony first, then braid it. It keeps the shorter pieces in much better. Also, use the thick silicone elastics, at least for the ponytail braid. They don't slide at all. Although you do have to be careful when removing them so you don't rip hair out.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    nilbogger wrote: »
    Have you tried Goody Spin Pins for buns?

Spin pins are awesome, but I find they really hurt when doing mat work. I guess if you put your hair in a very high bun it would be fine.
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    High pony tail with a braid. My hair is 3/4 of the way down my back (a couple inches above my butt) and this is the only way for me.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    The long braid, looped braid, or "sleep bun" were my go-to workout styles when my hair was long (and it got really long, past hips.) Looped braid is pretty self explanatory, make a long low braid then pull the end up to your nape and secure it. Easier if you first secure the end of the braid with one band.

Sleep bun, that I got by:

Make a ponytail but don't pull the hair all the way through, leave a loop and a tail, loop as small as you can get your fingers through.

Reach through the loop and pull the tail in, making another loop that comes out the side of the first one. Again, keep it as tight as you can.

Repeat as needed - stop there if the tail is short, or make another loop by pulling the tail into the second loop.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    For the braiding, do people usually make a ponytail first then braid it after? I was never one of those girls that learned to braid my own hair. I know the mechanics but I'm not sure if I have the execution very well. Like I could easily braid three pieces of string or something, but on my own hair it ends up too loose and falls apart quickly.

I just braid ... I don't make a pony tail first. And I've got so I can do it quite tightly.

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    The struggle is real, lol!

I use > 2 < pony tail holders/elastic bands with no metal in them and put my hair in a tight high bun.

First gather hair into a high pony tail literally between your ears on the top of your head more towards the front of your head and make sure it is secure.

Then wrap the hair around into a bun and secure it with another band. Use three elastic bands if needed.

I can't stand sweaty hair on my neck when I'm working out, it's the only solution that works for me.
  • shannonpinkneysp
    shannonpinkneysp Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've seen many on here commenting about buns. I've never been good at doing a bun the "real" way so I made up my own method. I gather my hair like I'm doing a normal pony, then I do a loop around knot. Yeah....tie my hair in a knot. :) Then I take a scrunchy (like we all wore in the 80's and 90's) and put it around the knot. I have some hair that hangs out around the hair tie but it works. You could do this with one of those no slip ties too. And always a head/sweat band for the little hairs around my face!
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    How about this?

8x9mdba3dj7l.jpeg
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    How about this?

8x9mdba3dj7l.jpeg

10/10

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    My hair was thigh length last year and is tailbone this year. I do pony tail buns secured with two linzi clips(similar to claw clips, but claws don't hold my bun) sometimes spin pins are OK, or a hairstick. just a braided ponytail is fine when I run. If your hair isn't too thick, you might be able to pony tail, braid, then loop the braid and clip it down to your head. I have to find a ginormous clip for this to work, but some stores carry hair stuff for very thick hair.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    Google 'barrette snood' and look at the images.

I have a couple of those that I wear when I go out. A quick braid, stuff it into the snood, clip it on, and voila!

Just the other week my husband and I went for a bicycle ride and then changed into our symphony finery at the symphony hall. My hair was already in the braid, I didn't even comb it or anything, just into the snood and I was done. :)

But something like that might work if you've got to keep long hair up and out of the way for exercise too.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    if its that much of a hassle just cut it.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I was just reading this thread because I'm so jealous. I've always wanted really long hair, but mine grows sooo slow. It's the longest it's ever been now--when it's wet & I comb out the curl it almost reaches my bra band but by the time it's dry it's back up to just below my shoulders :'( .
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have also looped up my braids. That is, I make a braid, then bring the end up to the beginning and put an elastic around to hold it in the loop.

My hair is to the middle of my back. I do this and then clamp down any stray bits of hair around the sides and front with bobby pins. I can't stand having my hair flailing everywhere when I'm exercising.