Do you eat the calories you are burning from exercise?

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Yes, almost all of them, always. I'm at 1300 calories a day, and this allows me to not feel too resteicted.
  • mike_acton
    mike_acton Posts: 6 Member
    Yea absolutely all of them. Lost 80lbs eating all exercise calories (at least those fracked via Fitbit, lifting isn't enough calories for me to bother counting.) Now maintaining and if I didn't eat them I'd lose more weight, which I don't want to do.
  • deminimis
    deminimis Posts: 47 Member
    Good question. Most of the time I don't. Oddly, I find it hard to hit my 1200 cals durine the week, then deduct 400+ cal burn 5-6 times a week from that, and I'm way too low. I've stalled at 25lbs for a couple weeks now. I'm slowly increasing cals to get the fat loss to start back up. Not fatigued (workouts getting easier and a much more agressive routine ) and I feel great, but my body is obviously trying to tell me something. Think I'll start eating back 50% of burned cals and see how it goes.
  • KateD0707
    KateD0707 Posts: 31 Member
    Does anyone save exercise cals up for the weekend? I was thinking about saving them M-F and then allowing a slightly higher cal intake sat and Sun. Anyone had experience with this?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    KateD0707 wrote: »
    Does anyone save exercise cals up for the weekend? I was thinking about saving them M-F and then allowing a slightly higher cal intake sat and Sun. Anyone had experience with this?

Lots of people do this
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    I bank calories, too. Of course, sometimes, like tonight, things happen, like, you know, opening my oven and finding a rat, that requires eating out, and now my calorie bank is overdrawn.

hko17- You're complicating the matter with facts not valid to the MFP calculator. If your method is working for you, great, but for those using the MFP calculations, it's not useful, and is, in fact, harmful because you're telling people not to fuel bodies that are working harder.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Yes. I love eating. My body loves me when I eat. It's a win-win situation.
  • SiegaPlays
    SiegaPlays Posts: 13 Member
    KateD0707 wrote: »

I combine a few tools to allow myself a more rich weekend.

I spend every cal earned from exercising sometime during the week.

MFP recommends a daily cal intake at 1630 for a 1kg/2lbs weekly loss, which happens to be 3 cal higher than TDEE for the ideal weight for my body. So I am basically practicing how I should eating the next decade to maintain ideal weight until age really becomes an issue.

Wednesday and Thursday I set to 1395 instead snce I am alone most of the day, catching up on the average on Sunday with 2100 cal and company all day. What I weigh more on Monday, is usually gone again Tuesday.

If I stick to this, I should be hitting maintainance in 75 weeks. Knowing myself, it will take longer. I tend to stumble, and I have a couple of issues with exercising, moodswings and a hormnal cyclus from hell that needs ironing out.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited March 2016
    hko718 wrote: »
    If you're attempting to lose weight then NO. Why would you eat back calories when you're trying to be in a deficit. Use cardio as a tool. If you're eating 1500 calories and losing weight without cardio then you don't really need to be on the cardio grind.

This post is full of mistaken assumptions and errors.

First of all "cardio" isn't a grind - it can be a variety of activities that people enjoy.

Second "cardio" has value beyond calorie burn - a variety of adaptation occur within the body that make you fitter and feel better. These go from changes in macro-physiology - respiratory volume, better blood pressure management, etc to cellular metabolic changes, including improved insulin sensitivity, mitochondrial changes, etc.

Third, active people losing weight may exceed weight loss goals via their exercise load and need to eat back to keep that reasonable.

Sure, one can lose weight by diet alone but body is so much more effective and ages better when active. Your activity should meet your overall goals not just calorie goals.

Even someone solely focused on bodybuilding goals can have benefits from "cardio".

Rewatch that video with Eric.

Your calorie intake should be aligned to your goals. So basically, someone that is active is upping their calories (essentially eating back calories) to assure that a deficit/surplus is within the needed range to meet goals.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited March 2016
    usmcmp wrote: »
    That's fine, but you aren't the average user on here with little to no knowledge on nutrition and fitness. MFP's method is simple and easy to use for the average person. Trying to get people to follow a method based off TDEE is attempting to reinvent the wheel here. MFP's method is effective for most people. I personally use TDEE, but I'm not the average user.

I agree with you.

AND as someone that has followed MFP, TDEE and knows the math forwards and backwards I'd say that one can have a very high level of nutritional knowledge and fitness and still consider that "eating back calories" can be a useful tool.

Consider someone (me) that has high variability built into their training because their week to week burns vary significantly due to lifestyle. I'm weight training and marathon training (current primary goal - resistance training is a functional focus) and could use a ramping TDEE as my mileage goes up (about 200 cals every 2 weeks). But because I do some activities with my kids, that live far away, I may lose out on a workout due to travel or I may add 3-4+ hrs of cycling or rock climbing in any week. So to that pseudo-TDEE method I use, I tend to eat back (some) calories form my "extra-curricular" exercise beyond my training base (or if I was pure MFP it might be setting my cals to active and only counting the additional workouts).

This week I intend to ride with my oldest daughter for 4-6 hours - we are pulling off the cobwebs from the road gear. She's talking about doing a country to country ride this summer. You bet I'll need to fuel up after that. Hammerzeit!

Whatever mental gymnastic method one wants to use (MFP, TDEE, mixed, IF, etc...) the end result is that total calories consumed should be aligned to the reasonable deficit/surplus or maintenance of goals.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    I bank calories, too. Of course, sometimes, like tonight, things happen, like, you know, opening my oven and finding a rat

NOOOOO. Oh my God. I live in NYC and I'm deathly afraid of them. How did you deal with that? It would take me a long time to use my oven again.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    When I was losing 1 kg/week ... I ate half my exercise calories back.

When I decided to slow the loss to 0.5 kg/week ... I ate about 3/4 of my exercise calories back.

These days my weight is staying the same (and has done for 4.5 months now) ... and I'm eating just about all my exercise calories back. :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    I bank calories, too. Of course, sometimes, like tonight, things happen, like, you know, opening my oven and finding a rat,

It must be the night for it. My cat,that never hunts, just brought in a rodent. I had to chase out of the house at 3am!!

Cheers, h.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    No, cause I want to lose weight fast.

There's one big trade-off with fast weight loss.........

Do you want fat loss....or just a number on the scale? Moderate paced weight loss supports existing lean muscle mass. This is WHY MFP gives you back exercise calories. Google skinny-fat, only the scale looks good.
    I just go for the number on the scale. Working to build muscle back later.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member

Do you want fat loss....or just a number on the scale? Moderate paced weight loss supports existing lean muscle mass. This is WHY MFP gives you back exercise calories. Google skinny-fat, only the scale looks good.

So so much harder to build than retain, I don't understand this reasoning at all.

But, as others say, if you are using MFP in the way in which it is designed, then you should be eating at least some of your calories back, you can end up depriving your body of essential nutrients if yoou don't which can lead to big problems in the long term.

Even using the TDEE method, you are essentially eating your exercise calories, it's just they're accounted for and averaged out within the daily goals.

For me, whilst losing and finding my activity sweet spot, I'll use the MFP method, when I switch to maintenance I'll probably go with TDEE but with some mindfulness about varying activity similar to Evgeni above.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

It sounds like your decision is already made, but I think the average person will find it much easier (and more visually pleasing) to retain as much muscle as possible when losing weight instead of losing muscle mass and then working to rebuild it.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    I use to. Now I've decided to try things differently. I eat 1500-1600 a day but not my exercise calories.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    hko718 wrote: »
    If you're attempting to lose weight then NO. Why would you eat back calories when you're trying to be in a deficit. Use cardio as a tool. If you're eating 1500 calories and losing weight without cardio then you don't really need to be on the cardio grind.

OP, please ignore this....this is the 2nd or 3rd thread that this poster has shown they don't understand how MFP works.

MFP give you a calorie goal based on the information that you enter in (personal stats, daily activity, etc), and assumes you do no exercise. Let's take a hypothetical person who enters their stats with a goal to lose 1lb per week and gets a goal of 1500 cals (so maint of 2000).

2000 maint cals - 500 cals = 1500 cals per day to lose 1lb per week.

Now let's say that hypothetical person adds in a run every other day that burns 300 cals. Now that person has a new maintenance.

2000 original maint. + 300 exercise cals = A new maintenance of 2300 cals.

2300 new maint cals - 500 cals = 1800 cals per day to lose 1lb per week.

Now, with that said...It's all an estimate. Most of us recommend eating back about 50% of your exercise cals, and after a few weeks adjusting from there. That will normally help counter any estimation inaccuracies.

When you first start out, and the more weight you have to lose, exercise cals can be less important. The closer you get to goal, the more important your exercise cals are going to be, and that estimation will need to be on point.

What I've found is that I cut best at about 1lb per week at ~75-80% of my exercise cals.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member

IMHO, bad idea. It's exponentially harder to build muscle than retain it. Why would you want to do 2x the work? Eat at a modist deficit, weight train, do cardio, and maintain that muscle. What happens when you get to goal weight and need to bulk to put that muscle back on.

I'd rather see my BF% drop faster than the scale, but I guess that's just me.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Yes, but I don't blindly use the exercise calories MFP gives me.

Through trial and error I found what seems to work for me. Several days a week I do 20 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of circuit training...on those days I use what MFP says for the cardio (rowing or stair machine) but put in nothing for the circuit training.

Several days a week I do only cardio. I found a formula online based on weight and speed that gave me an estimate of 117 calories per mile for running and that seems to be about right for me...MFP always says much higher. On long rows MFP's estimate seems fairly reasonable (and much lower than what my Concept 2 estimates).