tips for finding a job

Options
2»

Replies

• foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    ps: I think having your CV with your work history and name up on a public forum is not the greatest idea in the world. Please consider editing out some if not all of the detail.

I agree 100%

it won't let me edit :/

Report the post and ask a moderator to delete it for you.

thanks Tips :)
  • osmoticferocity
    Options
    So, a couple of things. +1 to creating a custom resume for each employer you're seriously interested in. For carpet bomb resumes, maybe make two or three for each broad category of job you might take. As for relocation, it's no coincidence that somebody was recently offered a job in the DC area. I was out of work for 7 months and had to relocate to DC to find a job. Also, start thinking in new directions. What other kinds of jobs could you perform with your skill set? Have you considered HR or training?

One page is best.

Accomplishments and skills are more important than titles and job descriptions but it's up to you.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    Delete the profile and summary of qualifications. Most of that stuff will be assumed or discussed in the interview. If you want to add a "skills" section at the bottom of the page, you can use that to list any computer programs you're proficient with, any languages you speak, etc. Don't make this a major thing; include only what you think is relevant for the job you're applying for.

Always start with your education. If the first thing on your resume isn't when and where you went to school and what degree(s) and certifications/licenses you hold, it's a red flag.

You don't want to delete your job descriptions. Prospective employers want to know what kind of work you've done, not just where you've done it and what your title was. It's also a good idea to quantify what you've done. For instance, if you helped raise money for fundraisers, say how much. Don't just put that you were a fundraiser. If you monitored websites, how many? If you managed a team of people, how many? If you organized events, how many?

Delete the quotes from letters of reference. It's better to actually send the letter of reference or list of references with contact info. That makes it verifiable and doesn't waste valuable space on your resume. The employer may not choose to contact the references, but the fact that you've given them a letter or contact info shows that you aren't lying or hiding anything.

I tend to agree that resumes need to be kept to one page. That's what I was always taught in college. The people responsible for sifting through resumes just don't have time to scan multiple pages. Besides, it leaves an impression that you're not able to determine what's most important or tailor things so that they fit the present need.

And you can always play around with margins and font sizes to make everything fit. Of course you don't want to use a font size that's so microscopic a person needs a magnifying glass to read it or use margins that are so narrow that your resume looks ridiculous, but 12-point font and 1-inch margins are not entirely necessary, either.

i am using a bit of everyones tips, but yours have been extra helpful!

i am having a hell of a time making it one page, gah
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Totally know how you feel. I graduated in Dec. 09 with a degree in education. You know, the "secure" profession. My timing was amazing, as they started making all the cuts around the time I graduated. I'm certified in elementary and middle school as a generalist (I can teach anything from pre-k to 8th grade, any subject) and haven't had luck finding a job. Schools don't even call me back to volunteer! Good luck to you!
  • foxyforce
    Options
    do i...or do i not drop my additional training

it currently looks like this

Sexual Violence, name or organization 2009-2010
    Motivational Counselling, names of organizations
    Client Services Training: Building Positive Relationships,etc

Mental Health and Substance Use, etc 2007-2008
    Refugee Determination Workshop,etc

i have about 14 of them! and i feel they are relevent, and reflective of a distinguished candidate

what do i do? drop them? mention that i have workshops? hrm?
  • foxyforce
    Options
    Totally know how you feel. I graduated in Dec. 09 with a degree in education. You know, the "secure" profession. My timing was amazing, as they started making all the cuts around the time I graduated. I'm certified in elementary and middle school as a generalist (I can teach anything from pre-k to 8th grade, any subject) and haven't had luck finding a job. Schools don't even call me back to volunteer! Good luck to you!

please do not give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maybe you can try volunteering as an esl (english as a second language) teacher somewhere? at the shelters i work at they have free classes, you could always even try to volunteer if they aren't hiring
  • foxyforce
    Options
    I DID IT!

one page, and i really didn't lost much info

i lumped employers together under the same general area, ie:

Case Worker, place(06/2010 - 10/2010) and place (09/2006 - 12/2006)
    Team project coordination, developing: staff training procedures, outreach plan, and agency intake process;
    Intake, assessments, referrals, phone support, crisis intervention, case management and motivational interviewing.

and under education i just listed off what my additional training was in, and when they call me in for an interview (because they should call), they can find out where i did it

yayyyyy...wish me luck!
  • Schrieebee
    Schrieebee Posts: 13
    Options
    Soooo..... not be rude or implying that something is wrong with you; BUT some people just dont interview well. They let nerves or insecurities get in the way. Physical characteristics do play a part when interviewing. How you carry yourself, do you look the interviewer in the eyes when answering questions, do you smile, relate questions back to your experience and personal life, do you gift direct answers or waver....etc. It also sometimes depends on the interviewer.... if they are straight faced and dont let you be yourself that can also be an intimidation factor. Just remember to be engaging and relaxed while being confident about what you know. GOOD LUCK!
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Disagree 100% about not keeping the resume on one page. I interact with recruiters and hiring managers all the time. One page is all they want to see. If you can't make a strong case for an interview on one page, then you are not what they are looking for anyway. The stuff you can not fit on to one page will give you plenty to talk about during an interview.

Your lack of success is most likely due to the economy and the overwhelming competition you are facing in your job search.

Be persistant.

Depends on what you're applying for. But if you're cutting yourself short by reducing it to one page then you might be missing out on great opportunities. Many times, it's that EXTRA page that gets you the step above your competitors for a given job. I've spoken to many recruiters too, I've had recruiters tell me that they were really impressed with my resume on several occasions (I'm not trying to make myself sound good).

My advice: don't surrender great opportunities over a single page. What recruiters PREFER to see is not what they LIKE to see. Tailor your resume to the job, not the general audience.

I also read a recent post right below this comment box who brought up a very good point. Some people just don't interview well. The whole point of a resume is to showcase yourself without too many words. If you’re shy under pressure, how can you expect to offer up information without being asked about it? I, myself, am not so much of a talker than I am an “answerer.” Ask me the question and you’ll get a good answer, if it’s within my realm.

I stand by with what I said.
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My sister-in-law majored in psyc. She works as a social worker for DCFS. Have you been looking for positions in social work as well?

In that field...you're kinda limited in opportunities unless you continue on for a doctorate.
  • NobodyKnows
    NobodyKnows Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Panda, just curious when you heard this from recruiters? At job fairs? Not trying to have a debate on the topic. It is just that I constantly hear ONE PAGE when it comes to a resume.

My personal social network (not linkedin, facebook, etc.) consists of many recruiters. Going through resumes looking for a candidate is referred to as sourcing, and that is what they dislike the most about their job. A recruiter sitting at their desk sourcing is not all smiles like they are at job fairs. And looking at someone's resume at a job fair is much different than scrolling through one on a computer screen.

Perhaps you get your praise after submitting your resume electronically, but most multi-page resumes do nothing but annoy recruiters.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    My sister-in-law majored in psyc. She works as a social worker for DCFS. Have you been looking for positions in social work as well?

In that field...you're kinda limited in opportunities unless you continue on for a doctorate.

yeppers :)
  • NobodyKnows
    NobodyKnows Posts: 764 Member
    Options

One more tip. Don't use "yeppers" in an interview. :tongue:
  • foxyforce
    Options

One more tip. Don't use "yeppers" in an interview. :tongue:

I use the word "cool" and still get the job, cause i'm cool. I just need the interview!

And I agree with both of you. I have been called for interviews with my two page resume. But the thing is, they really are looking at a lot. When I was hired as a counsellor I was one of 7 candidates selected for an interview, out of 200 applicants! While I was working there I did hiring for relief staff and there were over 250 applications. My resume, not really different from anybody elses.

I have asked all my previous supervisors to help me fine tune it, and not one of them said anything about one page...BUT

i need a slam dunk. i am qualified, skilled, and exceptional and I need them to see it on a whim and say "this is one of the people we will call!"

no more ****ing around, i need a ****ing fulltime job
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It must be different for different fields...I'm a science major so you're expected to have a multi-page CV, not a one page resume.
  • Talako
    Talako Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The rule having a one page resume is misleading. Your resume should reflect where you are in your career, the position being sought, and the employer. That means your resume should be one or two pages depending on the circumstances.
  • CommandaPanda
    Options
    Panda, just curious when you heard this from recruiters? At job fairs? Not trying to have a debate on the topic. It is just that I constantly hear ONE PAGE when it comes to a resume.

My personal social network (not linkedin, facebook, etc.) consists of many recruiters. Going through resumes looking for a candidate is referred to as sourcing, and that is what they dislike the most about their job. A recruiter sitting at their desk sourcing is not all smiles like they are at job fairs. And looking at someone's resume at a job fair is much different than scrolling through one on a computer screen.

Perhaps you get your praise after submitting your resume electronically, but most multi-page resumes do nothing but annoy recruiters.

After typing a novel’s worth of a response, I left a summary to paraphrase everything I’m saying.

I'll refrain from turning this into a debate as well. I, too, have heard to keep it to a page. I don’t usually go to job fairs. I’ve been to two of them, and one of them I didn’t even have a resume. The other, I came with a resume, and yes, I was told that it was very impressive. I know you’re going to take that statement with a “grain of salt,” but one of the recruiters was so impressed that she asked if she could hold on to mine even though she couldn’t offer me a job because I hadn’t yet graduated. Another booth at this same job fair, the VP of IS for an insurance company gave me his personal email and told me to email him my resume so he could have a digital copy as he was interested in offering me an opportunity for (temporary) employment.

Do I base all of my facts off of this ONE particular job fair? No. This supported my theory, at the time, that I did not need to restrict my resume to 1 page. My father, at one time the CTO of a corporation and was responsible for hiring in certain positions, hadn’t even taken a look at my resume prior to the job fair and reinforced my suspicions that anything above a page is never a bad thing, particularly if it’s relevant. Now, finally, onto the current company I am working for. The very first day of orientation, I had two of the recruiters who reviewed my resume and conducted two separate phases of my interview come up to me and express to me how they were impressed with my resume and their eagerness to begin working with me… which was awkward because I don’t even consider myself to be that fantastic.. I have minimal work experience. I was able to achieve 5 interviews for very competitive positions with my “theory” in a city where everybody is trying to get a job (Boston).

I don’t want to turn this into a debate so I will say now that this is from my experience and own opinions. Maybe I’m wrong.. There might possibly be a science behind all of this… so in my own humble opinion, I believe that if a company is willing to “toss” your resume because it is OVER 1 page then they probably aren’t a very good company to work for, seeing as they would be willing to dismiss a highly qualified candidate over a page limit for resume’s…

If you don’t have the legitimacy to go over 1 page, then don’t. You’re not going to put “I worked at McDonald’s when I was 16” on your resume, because that will not benefit yourself or your employer in any fashion. If the information you have is applicable to the job in any manner.. put it down. I know I would be underselling myself if I were to simply take away 1/3 of my resume for the sake of meeting a 1-page-requirement(recommendation).

Summary:
    - Don’t TRY to go over 1 page; if you can’t help it.. don’t sweat it, there’s no such thing as insignificant when it comes to landing your desired job.
    - If the content is relevant to the job you’re applying for, don’t hide it…

I just want to say that I have dealt with many recruiters. My resume isn’t 12 pages long, it’s 1.5 (approximated). If a recruiter has to sift through SEVERAL pages of information, I would expect them to slag.. it’s in human nature. It’s also well-organized so the reader may sift through the information without clutter.

I suppose everyone has their own experiences, but from the people I’ve met and the interactions I’ve had.. my method hasn’t dragged me down any. I’ve benefitted from not cutting myself short and for those who are younger (like myself), I recommend my method. It’s tough to break into any field as entry-level. If you can’t get a job, it’s even more difficult because now you’re in a rut. I don’t write resume’s or coach others on writing their own for a living, nor do I interview people. But the opportunities I’ve been given with how I’ve handled my resume’s has opened doors. During this one interview with a recruiter, my resume opened another door for another position because I qualified for 2 more jobs than what I had applied for with this one company (Fidelity Investments). So how will anybody know what you’re capable of if you hold back?

In closing, I’d like for our exchange of conversation to be more enlightening. I’ve certainly learned from you in ways and I hope you’ve taken something from my experiences with recruiters.
  • CommandaPanda
    Options
    The rule having a one page resume is misleading. Your resume should reflect where you are in your career, the position being sought, and the employer. That means your resume should be one or two pages depending on the circumstances.

You summed it up in shorter words than I... I praise you for saying what I'm apparently incapable of.
  • vmata1
    vmata1 Posts: 14
    Options
    Its all about networking! I'm in HR and in the end, its about how you sell yourself.

Check out toastmasters.org and find a group in your area. Its an excellent community, supportive and looks great on a resume - trust me!

Work your profile on linked in and create a website focusing on your goals... Also check out this article. Its aggressive but a great way to stand out from the crowd, especially when a recruiter is dealing with a million and one resumes a day.

http://www.mscareergirl.com/2010/03/30/10-guerrilla-job-search-tactics-that-work/

Good luck!
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options

I agree with this, however, the OP isn't applying for very high-level positions. Thus, a 2 page resume would appear odd.