Options

Replies

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Dairy makes me break out.
    But I eat string cheese sometimes.
    It also gives me phlem.
    I try not to eat too much of it but I Love cheese.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It also gives me phlem.

heh, I used to be lactose intolerant and would still eat cheese, even though it would make me sick. Just love it so much.
  • doodleswithpencils
    Options
    I've been trying so hard to hold on to cheese and cream, but keep being forced to the realisation that I don't tolerate it - my mental health declines every time, with depression, irritability, exhaustion, all round pretty rubbish to be in my head then. Also, I think it stalls weight loss for me, obviously because I'm not digesting properly. It's not worth it for me, though it helps that I can tolerate small amounts occasionally, and I can have A2 protein cow's milk which we can by here in the shops, and goat's (or sheep, or yak etc) cheese. I just wish I'd known this all the years when I was struggling with horrible anxiety.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    bgorum wrote: »
    I haven't had dairy in quite a while and I do not miss it! Soy milks and almond/coconut/cashew milks are all high in protein, b12 and calcium

I don't think I have never seen cashew milk in a supermarket my life, but it sounds worth a go so might have to hunt it out. Does it work OK in hot drinks?

I love unsweetened cashew milk. It doesn't have the sweet flavor that almond milk has, and therefore doesn't alter the taste of a savory food or drink as much. It tastes more like regular old milk to me. I use it in recipes wherever I would normally use milk.

Thanks. I'm intrigued, I'll have to find some.

Check this out. I've been meaning to try it.

http://cookieandkate.com/2013/cashew-milk-recipe/
  • MikeAV8s
    MikeAV8s Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It sounds like dairy could be a super weapon.
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant and cut out milk over 15 years ago. I've never had problems with injuries or health. Love greek yogurt and goat cheese the odd time
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I haven't had dairy in quite a while and I do not miss it! Soy milks and almond/coconut/cashew milks are all high in protein, b12 and calcium

I don't think I have never seen cashew milk in a supermarket my life, but it sounds worth a go so might have to hunt it out. Does it work OK in hot drinks?

I think it's the best non-dairy milk in coffee and tea because it has a very mild flavour and it's creamier in texture. I really don't like almond milk or soy in my coffee, and coconut tastes ok but it tastes like coconut, not coffee.

I generally use almond milk with cereal or granola (where the almond taste is a bonus) and cashew for everything else. I use the Silk brand unsweetened plain.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Zoebaikie wrote: »
    No more bloating! Bad skin and better digestion from happy gut! Also we are not baby cows so why do we drink their milk? Weird! I love getting protein and calcium from soy & almond milk :)

What Zoe said!

I have also noticed that since cutting milk from my 3 daily coffees my periods have been a lot lighter and a LOT less painful and that my skin does not flare up with pimples around TOM.

WHO KNEW THAT MAYBE MILK ISN'T GOOD FOR US!

About the time I developed lactose intolerance (16-17) my periods got really long and really heavy, and have continued so to this day. So...your n=1 data point is negated by my n=1 datapoint. I think it'd be silly to draw too many links.

Is cow's milk "good" for us? I don't know. But it's the most recent genetic adaptation in most European-descended individuals. One of our ancestors' biggest problems was food supply and famine. We developed lactose tolerance right around the time we developed agriculture. It allowed our ancestors to migrate to better climates while taking food with them. It allowed them to have a renewable source of nutrition that relied on seemingly useless grass and weeds that humans can't digest. It diversified our sources of food so that if the local population of boars was hunted too low or a cold winter destroyed our crops the milk cow we kept in our cottages during the storms could still supply food and allow us and our children to survive.

Like many things, prior adaptations don't necessarily lead to modern success. Ready supply of calorie dense food has led to the obesity epidemic. However, if you are not lactose intolerant, than you have the genetic adaptation to digest cow's milk. That said, you don't have to drink milk. We all have teeth but you don't have to have solid food to survive in the modern day.
    It also gives me phlem.

heh, I used to be lactose intolerant and would still eat cheese, even though it would make me sick. Just love it so much.

What do you mean used to be? Did something magical happen? I had to completely give up cheese but still allow myself small amounts of ice cream, the less 'natural' the better. Cheese was for some reason the worst for me. So no more pizza for the rest of my life probably. If you have the cure, please let me know.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    No more bloating! Bad skin and better digestion from happy gut! Also we are not baby cows so why do we drink their milk? Weird! I love getting protein and calcium from soy & almond milk :)

What Zoe said!

I have also noticed that since cutting milk from my 3 daily coffees my periods have been a lot lighter and a LOT less painful and that my skin does not flare up with pimples around TOM.

WHO KNEW THAT MAYBE MILK ISN'T GOOD FOR US!

About the time I developed lactose intolerance (16-17) my periods got really long and really heavy, and have continued so to this day. So...your n=1 data point is negated by my n=1 datapoint. I think it'd be silly to draw too many links.

Is cow's milk "good" for us? I don't know. But it's the most recent genetic adaptation in most European-descended individuals. One of our ancestors' biggest problems was food supply and famine. We developed lactose tolerance right around the time we developed agriculture. It allowed our ancestors to migrate to better climates while taking food with them. It allowed them to have a renewable source of nutrition that relied on seemingly useless grass and weeds that humans can't digest. It diversified our sources of food so that if the local population of boars was hunted too low or a cold winter destroyed our crops the milk cow we kept in our cottages during the storms could still supply food and allow us and our children to survive.

Like many things, prior adaptations don't necessarily lead to modern success. Ready supply of calorie dense food has led to the obesity epidemic. However, if you are not lactose intolerant, than you have the genetic adaptation to digest cow's milk. That said, you don't have to drink milk. We all have teeth but you don't have to have solid food to survive in the modern day.
    It also gives me phlem.

What do you mean used to be? Did something magical happen? I had to completely give up cheese but still allow myself small amounts of ice cream, the less 'natural' the better. Cheese was for some reason the worst for me. So no more pizza for the rest of my life probably. If you have the cure, please let me know.

That's odd because hard cheeses don't have that much lactose in them. Soft/ liquid dairy products have way more lactose than hard cheese.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk is my fave! And cashew milk <3

My skin has also improved since cutting out dairy. I really pay for it now. My acne is WILD if I have something with dairy, and I'm very uncomfortable in the tummy.

I do miss pizza, but it's really just not worth it. I may try my hand at making one with some vegan cheese, but I worry about it being disappointing!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Since I don't have lactose issues, I do very well. Milk/dairy is a great source of protein for me and I never have breakouts.. And cashew/almond/cocunut milk all taste like crap unless it's sweetened and that point, its equivalent in calories but lacks protein. And at 3x the price, they are just not worth it.
  • ghouli
    ghouli Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Another lactose intolerant human here. Dairy also makes me break out hella bad and since cutting most of it out my skin is so much better, plus none of the discomfort, bloating, crampiness, gas that would come from dairy before. I like soy milk, almond milk and all those kinds of milks but I recently started drinking Lactaid and I'm so glad it exists.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm not lactose intolerant l, but my skin hates dairy!! I love all things dairy, so I put up with the skin side effect :(
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I love dairy. I am conflicted when I think of the amount of greenhouse gases cattle contribute to an already bad situation. I can give up beef, but dairy...? :'(
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

I've drunk milk all my life, and my skin is glowing and healthy (though it wasn't in my teens, lol). I credit that to proper skin care :innocent: I also haven't had a lot of gas or bloating. Or inflammation. Hmmm.

As far as "we aren't baby cows so why do we drink their milk?" ... We also aren't carrot, beet, yam, or onion plants, so why do we consume their roots? We aren't hot pepper seeds or birds, so why eat their fruits (the heat doesn't affect birds, whose digestive systems don't destroy the seeds but instead pass them through and help spread them, unlike mammals who do taste the heat and do destroy the seeds). In fact, just about anything and everything we eat is "meant" for a different purpose. So why single out milk?

OP - since you are lactose intolerant, it makes sense that cutting it out decreases a lot of your discomfort! I'm glad you found what works for you :smile: As another poster pointed out, make sure that the soya milk has enough calcium, since it doesn't occur naturally in soy. The same thing goes for nut milks.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »

I've drunk milk all my life, and my skin is glowing and healthy (though it wasn't in my teens, lol). I credit that to proper skin care :innocent: I also haven't had a lot of gas or bloating. Or inflammation. Hmmm.

As far as "we aren't baby cows so why do we drink their milk?" ... We also aren't carrot, beet, yam, or onion plants, so why do we consume their roots? We aren't hot pepper seeds or birds, so why eat their fruits (the heat doesn't affect birds, whose digestive systems don't destroy the seeds but instead pass them through and help spread them, unlike mammals who do taste the heat and do destroy the seeds). In fact, just about anything and everything we eat is "meant" for a different purpose. So why single out milk?

OP - since you are lactose intolerant, it makes sense that cutting it out decreases a lot of your discomfort! I'm glad you found what works for you :smile: As another poster pointed out, make sure that the soya milk has enough calcium, since it doesn't occur naturally in soy. The same thing goes for nut milks.

I'm very meticulous with my skin care. I get these little bumps under my skin on my chin and temples, barely noticeable, but they completely disappear when i stop drinking milk
  • ladyv_39
    ladyv_39 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm moderately lactose intolerant. Milk affects me the most so I switched to the lactose free kind years ago as I don't like soy or almond milk. I'm fine with yogurt and hard cheeses, however, I don't consume dairy every day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Thank you. I never understood that argument.

Also, almond milk has 1g of protein and soy 5 to 6g for the equivalent 8g from dairy.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Thank you. I never understood that argument.

Also, almond milk has 1g of protein and soy 5 to 6g for the equivalent 8g from dairy.

...and almond/soy milks are 1000% less tasty and satisfying.

I've never had issues with lactose intolerance, love dairy of all sorts (milk, yogurt, cheese, cream in my coffee, whey protein, etc.). It has absolutely zero adverse effects upon me and plenty of advantages, so I have no reason to cut it out of my diet. I can see why people who are lactose intolerant or vegan (ethical reasons) may cut it out of theirs, but it's definitely not a "one size fits all" issue.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    when i went vegan my skin improved immensely i literally never and i mean never break out anymore and my seasonal horrendous allergies disappeared

so i would say dropping the pus filled cow fluid from my diet has been a very positive experience