Sweets Addict...

Options
Hi, my name is Emma and I'm addicted to chocolate.

I've always been addicted to sweets and specifically chocolate... so I decided to cut it down to a small sweet on Tuesdays and Thursdays and a "big" (bakery) sweet on Sundays. Well that's not working out.

On days where I'm not supposed to have sweets, that is my mindset. "YOU CAN NOT HAVE SWEETS" Well then I want it and crave it more. :( so I end up giving in and then hating myself for giving in.

So... If I eat well all day, and have calories leftover... Is it OK to have a cookie or candy bar or something like that as long as I don't go over my calories? I'd like to not eat sweets every day but seriously... I can't give up sweets. There's no way.

Any suggestions or tips are appreciated, though. Getting frustrated and stressed.

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I enjoy something sweet almost everyday.

If you hit your micros and macros on a regular basis, a little "junk" food won't ruin your health.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I make them fit.
  • EquestrianLark135
    EquestrianLark135 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Do I just go off the micros and macros that mfp gives me? I don't know much about that... :/
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Do I just go off the micros and macros that mfp gives me? I don't know much about that... :/

That's a good place to start. Eat your vegetables, and you can adjust protein and fat up if you need to in order to make you feel more satisfied.

Once you find your sweet spot, it's pretty easy to meet all your goals and have something sweet if you want. I fit sweets in pretty much every day.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Emma and I'm addicted to chocolate.

I've always been addicted to sweets and specifically chocolate... so I decided to cut it down to a small sweet on Tuesdays and Thursdays and a "big" (bakery) sweet on Sundays. Well that's not working out.

On days where I'm not supposed to have sweets, that is my mindset. "YOU CAN NOT HAVE SWEETS" Well then I want it and crave it more. :( so I end up giving in and then hating myself for giving in.

So... If I eat well all day, and have calories leftover... Is it OK to have a cookie or candy bar or something like that as long as I don't go over my calories? I'd like to not eat sweets every day but seriously... I can't give up sweets. There's no way.

Any suggestions or tips are appreciated, though. Getting frustrated and stressed.

What would your mindset be like if you told yourself every day that you could, in fact, have chocolate? Fit it into your calories, enjoy it, and enjoy it knowing that you can have some more again tomorrow if you want some. Rather than thinking you cannot have sweets, try thinking I can have some more tomorrow!!You may find, after a while, that you want it less, because you know you can have some if you want.

You could actually try that, if you wanted to (and only if you can eat chocolate without it triggering a binge). Try eating a small piece of chocolate (buy an individually-wrapped Dove square or something similar, something portioned out, so you don't have deal with cutting a Snickers bar in half or some silliness like that) every day for a month (fit it into your calories, don't max out on calories and then add chocolate on top of that). By the end of the month, that daily piece of chocolate becomes a non-event. You get used to it. You might actually forget it on some days!
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    A little bit of something a day won't ruin it so long as it fits your macros and calorie goal. I guess wen you don't allow yourself sweets and wait for anoter day for it, your body wants it more? Same goes for me!
    Which is why I treat myself to a cookie from subway for lunch almost everyday haha, or I have fruit! Since you're addicted to chocolate, why not get those fun size portions of m&m's or snickers bars and have it for dessert after dinner? That's what I used to do! :)
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You can fit it in your daily calories. But pardon me if I'm wrong but it seems there's something else you're concerned about and that's not being in control of you eating habit. When I face that dilemma, I think "Why am I fighting myself? This is my plan, my creation and I'm going to honor what I built." Maybe stop looking at your sweet tooth as an addiction and start looking at it as a decision. can do anything you set you mind to!
  • Dekayla13
    Dekayla13 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Try to make healthier sweets. There are tons of recipes out there. I like to cut up strawberries and throw in a few chocolate chips so I still get my chocolate fix but it's not as calorie heavy as a whole king sized candy bar. Having sweets sometimes is ok, too. :)
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    You like them. You aren't addicted.

Eat them within the realms of your calorie and macronutritional goals.

No drama.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I was the same way and I would always leave some room for sweets (chocolate) at the end of the day. But then I thought about it and realized it was more of a habit, comfort thing, a way to close my day, a reward... for what I didn't know. Habits can be broken. I mean there's a big difference between being hungry and just having a craving. Anyway.. I hear what you're saying. Just try to find a way to make it fit. I recently went to a 100% (whole) plant based diet and have to say after a couple of days not only don't I crave sweets, or anything for that matter, but the mere though of it kind of turns my stomach. I tried to have a sweet last night and it just tasted like chemicals.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I would not be able to be successful if I were not "allowed" to eat goodies. I try and fit something in every day, especially chocolate or ice cream or whatever I might have available. I love to bake, but unfortunately, I could eat a week's worth of calories in one day, so I save baking for special occasions and indulge. If I felt like I could never do that again, I would say screw it and quickly get right back to where I started.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Since chocolate is my favorite type of sweet, I've switched to large bars of very dark chocolate. I find out how many calories are in each square of the bar and I fit it into my day by only eating a square or 2 a day. I can fulfill that craving on less than 100 calories of a bar, and a bar lasts me for many days.

Since it's super dark chocolate (56%, 70%), it also has all those antioxidants everybody loves talking about. And surprisingly - fiber! Who would have thought that cocoa beans have fiber in them?
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Try to make healthier sweets. There are tons of recipes out there. I like to cut up strawberries and throw in a few chocolate chips so I still get my chocolate fix but it's not as calorie heavy as a whole king sized candy bar. Having sweets sometimes is ok, too. :)

Try and change gradually the underlying desire for very sweet things as it could become your Achilles heel. For exsmple move from white chocolate to milk to small quantities of low sugar dark chocolate. Transistion from ice cream to yogurt. Sugar was once a luxury item at the begining of the 18th century and only 4lbs/year was consumed. We on average consume approx 160lb/year. Whats nomal has really changed unfortunately!

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    Definitely! I enjoy something sweet almost everyday.

If you hit your micros and macros on a regular basis, a little "junk" food won't ruin your health.

+1
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I couldn't eat chocolate several days a week (or even once a week) without going overboard. But if you can, and it's the restriction that makes you crave and binge, make room for some. There isn't anything magical about the calories in chocolate. (Where does the idea come from, why does this question arise every day?)
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I love sweets and chocolate, so I factor that into my daily calories. I have 4 squares of dark chocolate most evenings at 125 calories.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i make them fit.

for various reasons, im in a pretty strict cut right now, so im not having it as much as i normally would, but generally speaking I have something sweet every day ....
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I leave approximately 300 calories at the end of my day to fit in chocolate or ice cream. If I hadn't done this, I would have freaked out and quit long ago.
  • hludwig980
    hludwig980 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is absolutely okay to have some chocolate or something sweet if it fits into your goals for the day. The more you tell yourself that you cannot have something they more you are going to think about it and want it. I always try to save a few calories for something sweet at night. Lately it has been 2 dove dark chocolate hearts that I have frozen. It it around 75 calories for those 2 pieces of chocolate and it is all I need. Just the little taste and I am good for the night.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Emma, you can eat your sweet treats no problem. You might try finding some sweet treats that don't have any sugar cane in them, though; I suspect that is your real problem. Sugar cane can be addicting...not for everyone, but it sounds like it is for you. There are lots of yummy alternatives, and I have found many treats and recipes that use other sweeteners so I can satisfy my sweet tooth without eating sugar cane. Just something to think about