Stop drinking alcohol success stories

Options
2»

Replies

• alicetl4
    alicetl4 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for this post as I'd been very aware that alcohol was sort of absent in this community. I had a dry January this year after drinking most days for the last few years, it gave me the courage to start the mfp more seriously. Since February have drunk less but started creeping up the last couple of weeks and I had my first no weight loss week last week. Back to being more sober again and would love any of you guys to add me to help me watch my alcohol calories....... :-)
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Haven't had a drink in three years.

I got tired of spending half my weekend nursing a hangover and having this feeling of embarrassment because I couldn't remember everything I did the night before. Or just having something like that alter my personality... Or using it as a crutch for anxiety and depression.
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My New Year's resolution was 30 days without drinking. I hit that milestone and decided to keep going. I'm a couple of weeks shy of 90 days at this point and wonder what a full year would be like. (I haven't mentally committed to the year yet, but I sure am curious about it.)

There have been tough days/nights. However, I'm sleeping better than I have in a long time, my blood pressure is a little better, and I'm exercising more. Little doubt those things are all related.

Two of the most helpful resources have been Allen Carr's <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easyway-Control-Alcohol/dp/1848374658">Easy Way to Control Alcohol</a> (audiobook) and the podcast from <a href="http://www.recoveryelevator.com/">Recovery Elevator</a>.

Good luck!
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I use to drink wine nightly, but I found I snacked more and really just found it hard to control my eating. That and alcohol definitely impedes fat burning. I have cut but to drinking once in a while, every couple of weeks or so and my weight loss really kicked into high gear.
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I used to drink almost every night, on weekends sometimes to way to much excess, since January 1st of last year I've prolly drank 6-7 times (holidays or birthday are about the only times..) and I'm down 90 pounds (much more involved than just not drinking), and on top of that when I do drink now it only takes a 10th of what it used to to get me drunk :)
  • chel325
    chel325 Posts: 199 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm an alcoholic and am 8 months sober.

I lost 50 pounds the first time I quit alcohol and counted calories. I gained some back when I relapsed. Now that I've quit again (and for permanent) I've lost another 30 and counting.

I sometimes miss the social aspect of drinking but I remember the horrible hangovers(I still get them from a night of dancing) and the embarrassing situations I'd get myself into.

I don't really crave or want alcohol anymore, I really really enjoy my life now more so then when I was a mess (drinking everyday 10 am, 5th of vodka every two days).

When I quit this time it was different because I realized I could never moderately drink and I had to say goodbye to it forever if I wanted to live. Before I always thought I could quit and become a normal person who drank occasionally.

I'd get drunk and then binge on chinese food. Or when I was in uni I'd have a night at the pub then get kebabs on the way home. I liked to combine my addictions to make them both better.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Really love wine. But hate empty calories - especially now that my goal weight is getting closer - about 10lbs away!. Found this thread when looking for motivation to reduce wine consumption during the week to help me down the final stretch.
    Thanks everyone for posting!
  • amb3rj0y
    amb3rj0y Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to stop by this post and wish you all the best of luck! My Father was addicted to alcohol, and lost his battle for sobriety in 2014 due to health complications directly related to drinking. So please, take care of yourselves!
  • HeyMissNya
    HeyMissNya Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bezza666 wrote: »
    It's been 3 and a half months now since I had a alcoholic drink. Anyone else a non drinker. I don't get any anxiety anymore!!! But I eat a whole lot more!!

I've been COMPLETELY straight edge for a month now! I quit smoking and drinking cold turkey lol. It wad hard at first, but now I find other ways to unwind and deal with problems. Smoking used to be my "take five" to get out of a stressful situation and take a moment to think. Now I feel strong because I actually have to it while interacting with whatever triggered me. Its really hard sometimes, but God is teaching me patience and selfcontrol. I used to drink EVERY DAY. I had a bar in my house until I gave all the bottles to one of my my boyfriend's friends who did us a lot of favors. He was excited, and I was relieved. I didnt realize my eyes and teeth were turning yellow until they started looking better. My skin is clearing up. I walk easier. I breathe easier. I can't wait to get back to exercising. Before, I honestly couldn't because I was so out of shape - not from food either, from poison!
    Im so grateful today. Im saving money on top of saving my life. I would recommend anyone to at least TRY. Every time you wait five more minutes, or one more day, or tell yourself no is progress. Just test yourself! You're stronger than you think.
  • Silvervixen79
    Silvervixen79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    HeyMissNya wrote: »
    bezza666 wrote: »
    It's been 3 and a half months now since I had a alcoholic drink. Anyone else a non drinker. I don't get any anxiety anymore!!! But I eat a whole lot more!!

I've been COMPLETELY straight edge for a month now! I quit smoking and drinking cold turkey lol. It wad hard at first, but now I find other ways to unwind and deal with problems. Smoking used to be my "take five" to get out of a stressful situation and take a moment to think. Now I feel strong because I actually have to it while interacting with whatever triggered me. Its really hard sometimes, but God is teaching me patience and selfcontrol. I used to drink EVERY DAY. I had a bar in my house until I gave all the bottles to one of my my boyfriend's friends who did us a lot of favors. He was excited, and I was relieved. I didnt realize my eyes and teeth were turning yellow until they started looking better. My skin is clearing up. I walk easier. I breathe easier. I can't wait to get back to exercising. Before, I honestly couldn't because I was so out of shape - not from food either, from poison!
    Im so grateful today. Im saving money on top of saving my life. I would recommend anyone to at least TRY. Every time you wait five more minutes, or one more day, or tell yourself no is progress. Just test yourself! You're stronger than you think.

This has really inspired me! I have been struggling with alcohol for the past few years, I drink everyday but never feel drunk, I just function on it. It has made me gain so much weight.. over the past 2 years I have gained nearly 100 lbs, which has only added to my other health problems. I know I want and need to quit drinking but I can never find it in me to stay strong when I get the unbearable urge.. which is pretty much every evening.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    jmgj27 wrote: »
    I was a 6/7 nights per week drinker, polishing off 1-2 bottles of wine in a sitting. Stopped drinking completely on 4th Jan and haven't had one since. 32lbs down which is partly due to not drinking huge amounts of empty calories and largely due to actually having the motivation to exercise and do stuff now I'm not drinking. I don't intend to stop drinking for ever but I'm going to limit it to special occasions from now on (and, no, Wednesday is not a special occasion for me anymore!)

This is me. I'm working on it, but it's not easy. I don't really gain weight because I either eat OR drink - almost never both at one time. I didn't drink at all last week and I felt phenomenal, then I went on vacation and I'm right back where I was. Everyday is a new day, though!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!