March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    https://unitedrelay.org/
    Would anyone be interested in doing this? I was thinking we could maybe do it as our MFP Challenge group, or maybe individuals could "team up" in their states etc. The cost isn't out of this world and it looks like it benefits enough charities that most of us would be happy to help. **I don't know anything about the organizer or some of the charities...I got it in my email inbox and thought I'd pass the info along**

I looked, but the closest to me is running in downtown Atlanta on a Thursday night at 11 PM. No thanks! :)
  • rjmqk3
    rjmqk3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    rjmqk3 wrote: »
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! I ran SLOW last night. I have been averaging 9:30/mile and I slowed it down to 12 minute miles with the last mile being 10:54. Was this TOO slow?

To put this in prospective. I can run a 6:15 mile, run my tempos around a 7-7:25ish pace. Easy runs are from 8:30-9:00ish pace. But then there are some days where I cannot go faster than say a 10:00 sometimes even a 12:00 minute/mile pace because my legs feel like lead. Just this week I struggled with a 10 min pace. These "recovery" days feel like the world is just punishing me and I dread life. Then I wake up like this morning and my legs are able to go full steam again. It took a full rest day on Sunday followed by some really struggling hard but slow (easy pace & some recovery pace) days from Mon-Wed. When your legs are over worked, there is no such thing as going too slow. Pushing them to do something they can't do risks injury.

Thanks for the perspective! I think I need to stop worrying so much about numbers (similar to my evil bathroom scale) and worry more about how I feel going into my run, my comfort level during my run, my ability to recover, etc. You all have been so helpful. I feel amazing today, a tiny bit sore, but not painful. So proud of myself.

@Elise4270 Thanks for your positive vibes and tips. AND for calling me a runner.... That means a lot coming from you awesome runners! B)
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ or anyone else.... This may be a dumb question but I'm sooooo confused about cadence and stride length. How can 2 people have the same cadence and be running such differences paces? Is that where stride length comes in? My Garmin says my stride is .94-.98m. At a 9:45 pace my cadence is about 175 and at an 8:00 pace it's about 195. I'm just confused. To run say a 7:00 pace, would I need a much higher cadence? I have no idea if my stride is long or short. But I'm barely over 5ft tall if that matters? Just wondering how a person runs any faster without overstriding or having a super high cadence.....
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the perspective! I think I need to stop worrying so much about numbers (similar to my evil bathroom scale) and worry more about how I feel going into my run, my comfort level during my run, my ability to recover, etc. You all have been so helpful. I feel amazing today, a tiny bit sore, but not painful. So proud of myself.

@Elise4270 Thanks for your positive vibes and tips. AND for calling me a runner.... That means a lot coming from you awesome runners! B)
    Just to add to what's been said. Going slower, so you're in the aerobic zone for heart rate will pay out well in the long run. I've been going WAY too fast (9:25/mi) on my runs, and should be going in the 10:35-11:35 range, or even a little slower. I set my distance PR going an average of 10:45. Take it slow and enjoy the benefits of the run. Faster is for races.
  • rjmqk3
    rjmqk3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Just to add to what's been said. Going slower, so you're in the aerobic zone for heart rate will pay out well in the long run. I've been going WAY too fast (9:25/mi) on my runs, and should be going in the 10:35-11:35 range, or even a little slower. I set my distance PR going an average of 10:45. Take it slow and enjoy the benefits of the run. Faster is for races.

I feel dumb for asking, but what range should my heart rate be in for my slow run? It was about 150 for most of the run last night.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    How can 2 people have the same cadence and be running such differences paces? Is that where stride length comes in? ...
    @greenolivetree
    The second blog to which I put a link also has an article on that. It discusses a study that looked how the top three runners in a 10k race ran. They found that while those three were running at the same pace for the first 9km of the race, their step lengths and cadence was quite different:
    The runner with the lowest cadence (190 in that case, the others were even higher) had the longest strides, the one with the highest cadence the shortest, and the third runner was inbetween on both. Btw, the smallest runner was also the one with the longest stride length, so being tall does not necessarily mean that you make longer steps than everyone else and vice versa.
    And actually, as they were speeding up for the very last laps, the guy with the long steps increased his cadence, while the one with the high cadence increased his stride length. So there is no one single answer to "how do I go faster" for everyone.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I feel dumb for asking, but what range should my heart rate be in for my slow run? It was about 150 for most of the run last night.

it varies from person to person, but that 150 is probably good. When I did my PR distance I averaged 163, which was too high. For me, 142-148 would be in the aerobic zone, so I was in the threshold zone on that long run, accordingto my HRM....That said, it's just one tool. It is also how you feel.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    https://unitedrelay.org/
    Would anyone be interested in doing this? I was thinking we could maybe do it as our MFP Challenge group, or maybe individuals could "team up" in their states etc. The cost isn't out of this world and it looks like it benefits enough charities that most of us would be happy to help. **I don't know anything about the organizer or some of the charities...I got it in my email inbox and thought I'd pass the info along**

It looks like Stage 369 on the white route has the potential to go almost right past my house +/- 0.2 miles. This is a very interesting and intriguing concept. I see a handful of people already have themselves registered in PA.
  • instantmartian
    Options
    I don't know if my expectations are too high, I get myself too excited to finally run outside, or if it's the transition from the treadmill to road running that makes it feel awful. I've pulled through it the last few years (except for last year when I injured myself at the very end of March), and I am sure I will pull through it, again, this year. You will, too.

I think the bolded has a lot to do with it! I'm perfectly fine with using the TM to keep fit and train during the winter, but it really does have a different "physics" about it, if you will--that little assist in moving your body mass, no matter how hard your legs are working. Moving through space is just more difficult!

Yeah. I always figured that was likely my issue. Though even running on a treadmill at the beginning of March seems to feel a lot harder than it should.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @rjmqk3 That varies from person to person (and also depending on which formula you use to calculate the optimal zones). If you know your maximum heart rate and your resting heart rate, you can plug them into a calculator that gives you all the different zones, for example this one: http://www.digifit.com/heartratezones/training-zones.asp
    And on top of that your heart rate will also vary with other factors, like temperature...

In all honesty, most of the time I don't use the HR monitor feature of my GPS watch and just go by how I feel, but that's just my personal approach to the HR training question. ;)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ or anyone else.... This may be a dumb question but I'm sooooo confused about cadence and stride length. How can 2 people have the same cadence and be running such differences paces? Is that where stride length comes in? My Garmin says my stride is .94-.98m. At a 9:45 pace my cadence is about 175 and at an 8:00 pace it's about 195. I'm just confused. To run say a 7:00 pace, would I need a much higher cadence? I have no idea if my stride is long or short. But I'm barely over 5ft tall if that matters? Just wondering how a person runs any faster without overstriding or having a super high cadence.....

Yes!

Speed (miles/minute) = stride length (% of mile/step) X cadence (# of steps / min)
    since stride length is usually measure in meters, you will have to convert the resulting speed from meters/minute to miles/minute or km/min)

Pace then is the reciprical of speed. So you have to convert miles (or km) per minute to minutes per mile (or km).

So let me explain a few things that may be happening here.

Your Garmin is measuring the overall (average) stride length to be .94-.98m.
    it is also estimating this by the GPS satelite receivers which are not always entirely accurate. But close enough to get an idea of what you are doing.

9:45 pace, cadence = 175
    8:00 pace, cadence = 195

So you are clearly moving your feet faster as your pace increases. So I think your question relates to how do i increase my stride length without overstriding?

So the other way you can get a faster pace other than quicker feet is longer stride length.
    You certainly do not want to stretch your swinging leg to far out in front of you causing you to over stride.
    Instead, you want to push off from behind you and maintain that quicker cadence.
    I do this by making sure my heel comes up off the ground higher behind me. Similar to this butt kick drill.
    The other drill you can do to help in this area is called bounding.

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree - there was a great discussion on cadence in last months challenge. you can find some of it here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/35455644#Comment_35455644
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 I found something that says to not use your hamstrings and to not lift you heel with your posterior chain, but instead to drive the knee forward and let the heel whip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M36rR_txnRY

Sounds more logical for me
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I always have my HRM on, but I only ever really use the data after I've run....because I just like having it....With the exception that I can think I "feel great" but am pounding away too hard...I use the HRM in conjunction with my pace to help me determine of I should be throttling back a little....mainly because I'm not past the "if I'm not Dying, I'm fine" phase of my running evolution.
  • instantmartian
    Options
    @runnger_girl83 super news on being cleared to run distance. What Brooks did you end up buying again? I LOVE my Launch 3s. As a matter of fact I'm wearing them all the time now, so I'm going to get another pair.

Heya, my parents got my shoes off layby for me yesterday - Brooks Vapor 2... Haven't broken them in as yet but can't wait!! lol They feel super comfy running up and down the hallway :smile:

Just a question... How different does everyone find treadmill running to outdoors running? A friend wants me to go to the gym with her on the weekend and run a few km's with her on the treadmill. I have probably only ever run 5-10 mins on a treadmill for the podiatrist and found it weird as I wanted to grab the bars to hold on all the time.

I am more worried about the surface being harder/softer than pavement.. Just got rid of my shin splints and don't particularly want them back from changing running surfaces. Your thoughts?

I have no issues running on a treadmill, and because I get massively splitting headaches running outside in the cold, I confine myself to a treadmill during the winter. I'd rather deal with being bored out of my mind than with a headache that lasts two days. My boyfriend, on the other hand, claims that the treadmill aggravates his shin splints. When he's confined to the gym, he typically uses a spin bike, does some weight training, or only walks on the treadmill. If our current gym (which will most likely be changing soon) had an erg, I believe he'd be on that the most, being a rower and everything.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    On the not of HRM training.

I don't like it. My heart rate goes to 160 when I do easy running. I can sustain tempo pace at 175 bpm. I probably have a higher maximum rate than most people and the formulas don't work for me.

It's cool to see the data and maybe in time I will learn something from it but for now I will train by feel and the talking test.

Can I speak well? Easy running
    Can I speak only one sentence? Moderate running
    Can I speak one word? Tempo or Race Pacing
    Can I not speak? Sprint/intervals
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 I found something that says to not use your hamstrings and to not lift you heel with your posterior chain, but instead to drive the knee forward and let the heel whip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M36rR_txnRY

Sounds more logical for me

Reminds me of PE track when the coach yells "get your knees up" repeatedly.. Still stuck in my head from 1983...
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

About 60-65% of your maximum heart rate. So unless you have a max heart rate of 230 bpm, I think you were going too fast for an easy run.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I know he's crazy busy, and on hiatus @7lenny7 . I'm officially building my shoe collection. 2 down, 40 to go.. :p

Its thundering here, would like to try them out and consider wearing them for the half. I may wear 'em on the 5k, and see.

20160317_115957_zpsskyoth3j.jpg

Think the cat (Beans, poop, 'neek) wants to run? Or is thinking WTH? Dems LOUD!! She loves shoes BTW, Thinks something is hiding in them, even flip flops.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Thanks @_nikkiwolf_ @Stoshew71 @shanaber :) That "bounding" looks tough. LOL jumping/plyo type exercise is not my strong point but I do try.