No profile pic = bad idea?

Options
Do you find it hard to accept a friend request, or send a friend request, to someone with no profile pic?

I do.

Replies

• annleg83
    annleg83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Depends on if they are active or not.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    hahahahahahahaha.

Of all the things to worry about.

No. But then, I'm not here to collect "friend" requests.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer to have some sort of an interaction (like a comment on request), or something written on their profile, but I don't hunt down friend requests either, most of my friends are real life, or from challenges.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I like to see a face. Makes them real.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I don't care about that part of it so much, but I do know it was an important step in my becoming serious, when I faced what I looked like and included a picture--not just here but on other sites where I'd been accustomed to use an impersonal avatar.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    This is a funny question, because I no longer get friend requests now that I have taken a real pic of me down from my profile (although it was a headless pic, it had my body only in it).. now that it is just a meh avitar I have not received friend requests in months..
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    This is a funny question, because I no longer get friend requests now that I have taken a real pic of me down from my profile (although it was a headless pic, it had my body only in it).. now that it is just a meh avitar I have not received friend requests in months..

I think it's because a lot of people treat MFP as a dating site as well as a fitness site.

Also part of the reason I don't have a photo.
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I do prefer to see an image of who I am talking with, but it isn't an absolute must, the message coming with the friend request is important to me too.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I can't even have blank silhouette heads in my phone contacts. I need pictures of every person and every business. Blank silhouettes are creepy to me.

yep ^^this^^ not like they can't find a fake picture online and use that..oh, and when people don't make a comment, just send the request. Makes me feel like who are you? How'd you find me? idk, all a bit irrational.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not an issue to me. If I want to know more about a poster, I look at their posts.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    A lot of people use graphics or pics of kids etc, not themselves. Any image helps me remember who they are. Even some of my real life friends are very sensitive about posting their pics anywhere. With all the creepers out there and the experiences some have had on MFP, I understand.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I prefer a profile picture mostly because I feel like that means they actually put effort into their profile and maybe will take this seriously...? I don't know lol that's my weird logic. I just prefer to have active friends on here. I don't want people who slack off and don't log often. I mean we all get busy but I like to have motivating people on my list. I'm actually in the process of deleting a few people who haven't been on in ages.
  • L8model
    L8model Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I prefer to see a real person. It just means more to me... I don't care what anyone looks like, a picture just adds personality.

I did think twice about posting my picture. I'm happily married & not interested in finding a hook-up, so I really didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea when they saw my 225 lbs (then) of sexiness. Lol!

I tend to be fairly open, which is why I also have my food diary open to the public. I know that nobody really cares what I eat. I just figured that it might help me hold myself more accountable. =)
  • CChen8520
    CChen8520 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I will be adding a profile pic tonight!

This week I found that I never accept connection requests on linkedin from users without a profile pic. BUT! I myself am one of the uses. uploading tonight too.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »

I think it's because a lot of people treat MFP as a dating site as well as a fitness site.

Or maybe it's because people feel a greater connection with other people? And having a profile pic of an actual person makes it seem more like you're interacting with an actual person?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    benzieboxx wrote: »
    I prefer a profile picture mostly because I feel like that means they actually put effort into their profile and maybe will take this seriously...? I don't know lol that's my weird logic. I just prefer to have active friends on here. I don't want people who slack off and don't log often. I mean we all get busy but I like to have motivating people on my list. I'm actually in the process of deleting a few people who haven't been on in ages.

I'm not sure I see a relation between no profile image and slacking off. I've seen many with no profile images or images that aren't them and they're active. Perhaps they're too busy to change it, or maybe they have their profile pic set to private? Maybe they're shy or not very computer savvy?

It's just a profile photo. What's more important here is support and knowledge.

Yeah, I have Archer as a the visible profile pic, so what? I just found it funny and even a little relevant. My fitbit profile pic is of Dean Winchester yelling "pudding". I also have pics of myself, but one would have to check out my profile.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I prefer to see a person.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I don't care. I do appreciate the inventiveness of people who jazzy up the standard issue avatar. Someone here as one with shark teeth smile.
  • OhFudgescicles
    OhFudgescicles Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How do you know it's their real face? Case in point, look at my avatar.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    emdeesea wrote: »

Or maybe it's because people feel a greater connection with other people? And having a profile pic of an actual person makes it seem more like you're interacting with an actual person?

You are now interacting with a cat.