March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - some of the 0 drop are coming with more cushion now. In fact Altra has one that reminds me of Hokas. I am not comfortable in them because I feel like I am going to twist my ankle in them. Anyways if you look there are some out there.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @Elise4270 - some of the 0 drop are coming with more cushion now. In fact Altra has one that reminds me of Hokas. I am not comfortable in them because I feel like I am going to twist my ankle in them. Anyways if you look there are some out there.

Ya I saw some various shoes with all the cushion. I'd like to stay more minimal.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Love the shoes!

@rcsmom2002 My whole town is full of Bradford Pears and the smell is driving me crazy. It's like rotting fish
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

@rcsmom2002 My whole town is full of Bradford Pears and the smell is driving me crazy. It's like rotting fish

Interesting... At the park I run there is a section that smells like grape tootsie pops. I never considered it might be something blooming. Really glad its not old fish..
  • Ron_Dco
    Ron_Dco Posts: 51 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @7lenny7.. Thanks for that heat map link, it's woderful. Hopefully soon I'll find some people for company while running. Bored of running solo.

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap

Ah... all those new shoes...
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270 I don't like shoes with a high drop - so many 10-12mm shoes out there, they just feel odd to me (actually, my first running shoes had a 12mm drop - I hadn't ever hear about drop when I got fitted for them, so I didn't care. Later, when I first tried on a pair with less drop, I immediately liked them much better).
    Recently, all my shoes have been 4-8 mm (two pairs with 4, one with 8). I switch back and forth between them without noticing any adjustment problems.
    My 4mm shoes, which I like a lot (both of them ^^) are Brooks PureFlow 3 and Saucony Cortana 4.
  • zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    03/02 4.5 miles Legs took a while to warm up seriously thought of turning back home at mile 1 but persevered with it and turned into a really good run.
    03/04 4.6 miles Kept it comfortable rather than the build up that was suggested legs wanted a slight break
    03/06 8.7 miles Bit hillier than I normally do so was rather happy to find that I could run up the hill on the route.
    03/08 4.4 miles
    03/13 11 miles Longest run so far!
    03/17 4.5 miles Rather comfortable run to set me up before my first race on Sunday, probably my last run until then as I don't want to exacerbate the blister on the arch of my foot.

exercise.png

03/20 Canterbury Riverside 10k
    05/29 Edinburgh Half marathon
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    2.1 miles again this morning. I slowed down as much as I could but it was still a struggle. I made it though so I'm happy with that.
  • rcsmom2002
    rcsmom2002 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The bradford pears are all over my neighborhood, and there are a few around my building at work too, so there is no escaping the smell! I think it usually doesn't last too long though. Or maybe I just get used to it...

@Elise4270 , I was taking OTC allegra but it seemed to lose its effectiveness so my Dr told me to switch to Claritin for a while. Its clearly not working so I'm going to switch back to allegra and try the flonase too. I love spring but hate the allergies!
  • ccnagain
    ccnagain Posts: 50 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Finished my morning run -a little rain, a little snow, a deer, a skunk, and 2.15 miles later I'm back home. Used my new wireless earphones and loved them. Thanks again for telling me about them @9voice9, I got them yesterday and they are perfect!!!! Even told my friend about em' and she ordered a pair as well.
    @MNLittleFinn I love my morning runs...it gives me a great start to my day and I'm done before all my kiddo's are up. Although they aren't for everyone, hope you enjoy the morning!

exercise.png
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Despite "Muscle Man" (an acquaintance at the gym) on the treadmill to my left, I kept my breathing pretty steady and didn't even fall off once! ;)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I'm out of control ha ha. They look blue but are shades of gray. Brooks Launch 3.

prv0ekc9n3yp.jpg

i love those!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1-nothing yet
    2-yoga
    3-sicker yet. sick sick sick
    4-still sick
    so since i had no running to blog about i made a blog with some running memes.
    Happy Friday
    5-nothing
    6-nothing
    7-3.77, it felt nice. lots of people out so dog couldn't come with. i have to keep working on socialization
    8-nothing yet
    9-yoga
    10-new medicine-nauseous
    11-yoga
    12-Great Pi Race 5k. great time with some horrible hills. I would have had an amazing time without them and as it was i still beat my last 5k by 2:37min. Stepdaughter to be got second in her age group. i was 20 out of 36.
    13-rest day
    14-4.87mi happy bunny
    15-no run (yet) knee and kidneys are sore.
    16-no run-kidney's still hurt
    17-carpool-no run. grumble.
    18-carpool and slush fell from the sky this morning. so I vinyasa/power aerial yoga-ed

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 12-Great Pi Run 32:17
    May 7-Door County Half Marathon
    ?Jun 11-Rock n Sole 5 or 8k? honeymoon might interfere
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    3/1-2.03
    3/2-3.53
    3/3-Rest
    3/4-Rest
    3/5-6.00
    3/6-3.13
    3/7-3.26
    3/8-Rest
    3/9-3.23 (5k pr)
    3/10-Rest
    3/11-Rest
    3/12-7.01 (personal distance PR)
    3/13-2.25 (getting closer to doing a true recovery run)
    3/14-3.14
    3/15-2.02 (4-10 inches of snow in the forecast for tomorrow, so I snuck a quick run in tonight)
    3/16-Crosstrain HIIT core work
    3/17-Rest
    3/18-3.01 (First AM run, in the dark)
    Total- 38.62/56

Today's report.....waking up to un early=higher HR...My HR was 130 before I left the house....Think it's partially due to my BP meds not having near enough time to kick in. Max HR was 169 though, so not too bad for turing the run into something of a Tempo run....inadvertent, I realized at 1.5 miles that mile 2 was going faster than mile 1, and then slowed down some for mile 3. I like getting up to run, despite the HR thing and the fact that my sinuses hated me on the run and showed this by making me gag a bunch.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    @07KatieP13 When I first started back to running last year the deal I made with myself was that I'd just finish whatever course I'd chosen for the day, and that it was OK to walk whenever I felt I needed to. It was a quite a while before I completed my first 'non-walk' run (hills were the biggest challenge). So hang in there and let yourself walk now and then. The body wants to improve, but it isn't always in a hurry to do so!
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    03/01 3.47 mi
    03/03 3.25 mi
    03/07 2.71 mi
    03/09 4.00 mi
    03/13 4.00 mi
    03/17 5.41 mi
    TOTAL 22.84 mi
    GOAL 55.00 mi

2016 Races:
    02/21 – Disney Princess Half Marathon – 2:38:29 (included 16 stops to either take photos of something or have my photo taken with something)
    04/02 – Philadelphia Hot Chocolate 15K
    04/09 – Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K
    04/16 – River Horse 6K
    05/01 – Blue Cross Broad Street Run (10 miles)
    09/18 – Rock 'n' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon
  • cmckennan
    cmckennan Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Hey, I'm only 27 pages behind!

Work has been crazy (I've had some days I don't leave until after midnight) so I haven't been able to keep up or post on this thread, but i did want to pop in and share a very cool tool I found on Strava, though you don't need to be a registered member to use it.

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap

It's a tool for finding popular running (or biking) routes in an area. They have a global heat map of all the runs or bike rides in their database. Pan around, zoom in and out, and you can see where others are running or biking. Find new routes in your neighborhood or research an area you're traveling to. If you only want to see running routes, make sure you select that on the left.

This is super cool. Thanks for sharing! It appears as though I live in a Strava running black hole. haha There are no running routes for several miles around me, but it looks like there's been a bit of biking going on! This gives me more motivation to create an account. My 3-mile running route can be famous! :smiley:
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Good luck in your races this weekend, @HonuNui , @Elise4270 , @zmcgrandles , @louubelle16 . Those are the only names I saw with races posted. Did I miss anyone?
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    3/3 - 3.25 miles on indoor track
    3/5 - 4 windy miles.
    3/6 - 6.5 flat, windy, hot (72°) miles...sweaty.
    3/9 - 3.46 miles
    3/10 - 4.45 miles on treadmill (Trek class)
    3/11 - 4 miles on indoor track + weights
    3/12 - 7.5 hilly miles
    3/13 - 4 miles on indoor track + weights
    3/14 - Rest day...seriously sore from squats and dead lifts on Sunday
    3/15 - 4 miles on treadmill + weights (early a.m. thunderstorm kept me inside)
    3/16 - 4.02 windy miles...took a good 2 miles to get into a groove.
    3/17 - 5 miles on treadmill (Trek class)
    3/18 - 4.13 miles. Sooo excited that I am on track for my goal this month!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races
    4/9 - Beer & Bagel Off Road
    4/30 - Hy-Vee Road Races HM
    5/14 - WHAMM 10k
    5/27 - Girls on the Run 5k
    6/4 - Dam to Dam HM