BMR vs. TDEE

Options
Hello. I am hoping you can help me. So I went and calculated my TDEE and BMR and here were my results... TDEE 2289
BMR 1555

My question is, to lose weight I have to eat at a deficit of 1000 cals to lose 2 lbs a week. But that would put my cals at 1298, which is below my BMR. This is all so confusing! Could you help figure this out? I'd like to lose 50 lbs by August for a trip.

Replies

• momo_t90
    momo_t90 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. If I try to lose 2 lbs a week that puts me under my BMR. Wish I had a solution for you.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    2 pounds per week is a safe goal for people who start out with a lot to lose. The closer you are to your ideal weight, the less you can safely lose per week.

The recommendation that I've seen is TDEE - 20% so that would put you at about 1830 calories per day for your calorie goal. That's about a pound per week.
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Hopefully someone will come and help us both then :)
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Your BMR isn't some magical limit that's harmful to cross. Whatever energy your body needs to survive that it isn't getting from calorie intake it will take from fat stores, that's what they're for.
  • Tiff1124
    Options
    Well I have about 50 lbs to lose, for me that is a lot :/

1800?? I can barely get in the 1492 calories that I have set now! This is getting to be too much work lol
  • Tiff1124
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Your BMR isn't some magical limit that's harmful to cross. Whatever energy your body needs to survive that it isn't getting from calorie intake it will take from fat stores, that's what they're for.

Oh. Because I've always heard that you should never go under your bmr because that is the amount of calories you need just to function
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I did not look at any BMR or TDEE. I locked on to 1200 cal a day and stuck to it. Now that that I have reached my goal, I raised my cal intake to work on building muscle. I wish I could help with a good answer, but I cant. I can encourage you to keep at it and know that you have a ton of people here who support you!!!!
  • Tiff1124
    Options
    Thank you! That's why I am here :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    If you have 50 lbs to lose 1 lbs a week would be ideal, 1.5lbs pushing it.
    If you are just starting and do not have an established exercise routine, use the MFP goal and eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories, adjusting after a month if you are under or over shooting your goal( MFP overestimates).

Cheers, h.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Tiff1124 wrote: »

Oh. Because I've always heard that you should never go under your bmr because that is the amount of calories you need just to function

You're right, BMR is a theoretical number that is the best guess of how many calories your body would need to survive if you were in a coma. If you do not ingest that number of calories your body will take it from the calories you already have on board, your fat stores. If you have no fat, your body will metabolize muscle.

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Dangerous? not if you're consuming the required amout of nutrients.

Boring and painfully little to eat leaving very ltitle fuel for purposeful exercise? Yes.

Eat more. Fuel exercise properly. Enjoy a healthy relationship with food. Take it slowly.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

True.

But undereating can often lead to hangryness and a compulsion to play catch-up and then giving up or gaining it all back before you attain your goal.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I'm happier eating above my BMR than below it, if that helps.... At least i'm not dragging my tail around starving all day.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    A lot of the advice in this thread is good advice.

OP, if I could add, I'd recommend the slow approach to weight loss. I understand the idea behind wanting to meet your goal quicker - don't we all? - but bear with me as I attempt to explain the logic behind a slower approach...

As you probably are aware, your TDEE will begin to drop the further along you are in your deficit, but it will drop in proportion to the size of your deficit. That is to say, the slower/more conservative the deficit, the less of an effect it will have on your metabolism and TDEE. You might say, "but I don't care about the effect it has on my TDEE right now"... but you will eventually.

Let's say you do lose around 2lbs a week for the first 15 or so weeks, eventually that drop in TDEE will slow down the weight loss if calories and activity level all remain the same and if you don't adjust you're weight loss will plateau. This means at some point you will have two options in order to keep loosing weight at the rate you'd like to lose: (1) increase your activity level (cardio much?) or,(2) DECREASE YOUR CALORIES (or both!)... Neither of which will be something you're going to want to do at that point, as you will likely be very hungry and/or very lethargic. It is because of this metabolic adaptation that I always recommend the slower route in a prolonged caloric deficit. You'll have more calories to play with when your weight loss starts to plateau, and you'll have more energy to ramp up the calorie burn side of the equation if you so choose.

Hope that helps!

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    2 pounds a week is way too aggressive for a lot of people.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    tk6299 wrote: »
    I did not look at any BMR or TDEE. I locked on to 1200 cal a day and stuck to it. Now that that I have reached my goal, I raised my cal intake to work on building muscle. I wish I could help with a good answer, but I cant. I can encourage you to keep at it and know that you have a ton of people here who support you!!!!

Wow for a guy I'm not sure how you managed on 1200 a day.... you could have lost a lot of muscle along with the fat because of a huge deficit (although in your profile pic you look awesome).

OP 1- 1.5lbs a week would mean your deficit wasn't as large - slower loss means less loss of muscle along with the fat.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

OP, if I could add, I'd recommend the slow approach to weight loss. I understand the idea behind wanting to meet your goal quicker - don't we all? - but bear with me as I attempt to explain the logic behind a slower approach...

As you probably are aware, your TDEE will begin to drop the further along you are in your deficit, but it will drop in proportion to the size of your deficit. That is to say, the slower/more conservative the deficit, the less of an effect it will have on your metabolism and TDEE. You might say, "but I don't care about the effect it has on my TDEE right now"... but you will eventually.

Let's say you do lose around 2lbs a week for the first 15 or so weeks, eventually that drop in TDEE will slow down the weight loss if calories and activity level all remain the same and if you don't adjust you're weight loss will plateau. This means at some point you will have two options in order to keep loosing weight at the rate you'd like to lose: (1) increase your activity level (cardio much?) or,(2) DECREASE YOUR CALORIES (or both!)... Neither of which will be something you're going to want to do at that point, as you will likely be very hungry and/or very lethargic. It is because of this metabolic adaptation that I always recommend the slower route in a prolonged caloric deficit. You'll have more calories to play with when your weight loss starts to plateau, and you'll have more energy to ramp up the calorie burn side of the equation if you so choose.

Hope that helps!

Nailed it!!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    If I set mine to 2lbs a week, it would still put me at 1200, which in reality is about .2 to .3 pounds a week. So for me to be able to lose 2lbs per week, I basically have to net 500 cals a day or less, which isn't going to happen. Sometimes, you just have to do what you can do. I couldn't even set mine for that much when I started. While it's not going to kill you to under eat your BMR once in a while, doing so several times a week until you reach your goal weight is not a good idea at all.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Eating under BMR does not matter. The question is can you be satisfied and fulfill your nutritional needs at 1300 cals a day? Maybe, maybe not. That is why with less weight to lose, aiming for 2 pounds per week may not be realistic.
    Tiff1124 wrote: »
    Hello. I am hoping you can help me. So I went and calculated my TDEE and BMR and here were my results... TDEE 2289
    BMR 1555

My question is, to lose weight I have to eat at a deficit of 1000 cals to lose 2 lbs a week. But that would put my cals at 1298, which is below my BMR. This is all so confusing! Could you help figure this out? I'd like to lose 50 lbs by August for a trip.

• activeinmysixties
    activeinmysixties Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Hope that helps!

Nailed it!!

Well said!!!