Need help making vegetables interesting

Options
2»

Replies

• saishyamk
    saishyamk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Look for Indian Cuisines for the Vegetables of your choice on YouTube. You might need to get a few ingredients from an Indian Store if you haven't cooked Indian food before. But, there's no other cuisine in the world that has as many different ways of cooking vegetables as Indian.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I like to stuff them. Zucchini boats, stuffed eggplant, stuffed peppers, spaghetti squash boats, acorn squash, etc. All different flavors. My favorites are usually lasagna flavored, enchilada flavored, or something with BBQ or peanut sauce.

Vegetables made into rice (and risotto) or noodles.

Cut up a lot of different vegetables to add into things like soup, stew, chili and curry.
  • IAmDemonx
    IAmDemonx Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat most of my vegetables (that I don't like regularly) In a stew, Pepper steak is pretty healthy and good if you make it the right way (I throw in peppers, onion, mushrooms, broccoli, and sometimes I just throw in a random vegetable that makes sense, like if I added corn that probably would taste like an outlier) you could make vegetable smoothies and throw in something tasty like chocolate or fruit or something (make sure you don't over do it though)
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Pick different vegetables or different cuisines. Our go to are Sichuan, Thai, Indian...but love to make foods from around the world.

If you don't want to get too exotic, make a fun risotto:
    Pistachio, mushroom, arugula or roasted squash/pumpkin or spring pea and mint (serve with seared shrimp or scallops)...or have more fun and go with roasted beets for a bright red risotto.
  • bcjjoseph
    bcjjoseph Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You could peel the cucumber, cut in thin slices and shred the carrot with a potato peeler, add a bit of vinegar, salt, pepper, onion powder and oregano and eat it like a fresh salad, add chopped onions or feta if you like

There are also those vegetable-slicer contraptions for making veggies into pasta.
  • verasdaughter
    verasdaughter Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am not a veggie lover at all. I think a good way to get them in is to add them in your scrambled eggs, make smoothies with them (I make a great broccoli pina colada smoothie and I loathe broccoli, lol) and mix them with things you like. For example I slice sweet potatoes and add green beans or mix them with seasoned brown rice or whole wheat pasta with some garlic salt. Add some spinach or zucchini to pasta sauce. That's about all I got for now.
  • natalie3505
    natalie3505 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots, olive oil, dill, salt, pepper, bake until done and squeeze fresh lemon before serving!

Fresh green beans, olive oil, bake on 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes salt pepper and add nuts before serving (almonds, cashews, walnuts or macadamia nuts)

those both sound really good!
  • Sapphires4me
    Sapphires4me Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I put broccoli, cauliflower and carrots in steamer with zatarin's liquid crab boil in the water
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Don't forget the omelets. I just made a three egg omelet with leeks and cremini mushrooms. Sautee the veggies and set them aside. Drop the eggs i the pan and allow to cook about halfway through. Turn off the heat and dump the veggies on. Cover and let sit until the eggs finish cooking. Top with a bit of hot sauce.

Another one I love is stir friend salad. In a big pot put 4 cups of chopped green cabbage, add in various other veggies. Little bits of this and that. Try to have lots of different colors. Add in some leftover died up meat or some beans or even scrambled egg for protein Toss in some Italian salad dressing or some other kind of vinaigrette. Cover. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until veggies are your desired tenderness.

And you can make some really wonderful veggie filled soups.

Add chopped veggies to your spaghetti sauce. I love adding cauliflower, zucchini, peppers, onions and carrots to mine.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Don't forget spicy - throw some crushed red pepper flakes in with your roasted vegetables. Put some hot sauce on sweet potatoes.

Make soups with a lot of vegetables. I personally love split pea and ham.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    I've been roasting Brussels sprouts lately. They are nice cause the outer leaves roast and give a bit of crunch. I toss then with olive oil, say and pepper
  • xmichellemeyersx
    xmichellemeyersx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like to cook mine in a skillet with a bit of olive oil and then add a bit of soy sauce at the end. Sometimes I add marinara sauce and a bit of cheese. Both ways are very filling for me.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I roast a lot of my veggies...broccoli, cauliflower, brussels, asparagus, all great roasted with a little sea salt and olive oil.

If you like brussel sprouts can I just say toss them in some olive oil and small chop some bacon to toss in there. Bake at 400 for about 20-30 minutes until any leaves that have fallen off look burnt. Dress with a little bit of balsamic vinegar and shaved parmesan. Freakin amazing.

I also adore grilled veggies. If you have a grill just shuck some corn on the cob and throw it right on there, turning about 2 minutes a side. I also will halve a squash or potato and put it directly on the grill and top with a little fresh herbs and olive oil when done. Best thing about that is no baking dishes to clean up.