Silliest weight loss/fitness myth you've ever heard?

Replies

• kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    I was told that eating more than half a banana a week would lead to weight gain and cause diabetes. Seriously.

(I probably eat a banana a day. Yes, a whole banana!!)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Take all the carbs out of your diet. With no carbs, you can eat 3900 calories a day and not gain weight because your body goes after fat when you deprive it from carbs!
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    That a spoonful of olive oil before a heavy meal will stop your body from digesting the fat in the meal. I have friends who carry around little bottles of olive oil and measuring spoons in their purses. *blink*
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    That you can have a TDEE of 2500-3000 calories / day walking 1/4 a mile so long as you drink bullet proof coffee.
  • pariskathryn
    pariskathryn Posts: 173 Member
    I posted on Facebook about figuring out if I needed to eat more or less and got a swarm of responses telling me crap like "cut out carbs", "eventually calorie counting just stops working", "when you drink coffee it stops you from losing any weight" (?!), "eating late at night slows your metabolism" etc etc etc
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    My mom keeps telling me that eating fat makes you fat. I've given up arguing with her about it.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    I knew a guy who was convinced he could drink as much vodka as he wanted and not absorb any calories as long as he followed it with a glass of water.

My sister apparently read somewhere (and now believes) that tequila helps you lose weight... somehow... :|
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    The Paleo diet

This is a close second to this:
    That consuming 80% of your calories in fats is healthy.

• MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    How high carb low fat vegans can eat as many calories as they want without gaining any weight. Basically anything Freelee the banana girl says...
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    That muscle weighs more than fat. Grrrrrrr! Can't count the number of times I've read that on MFP threads.

It does, in the same way that brick weighs more than water (and sinks) and pine wood weighs less than water (and floats).
  • senecarr
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    That muscle weighs more than fat. Grrrrrrr! Can't count the number of times I've read that on MFP threads.

It does, in the same way that brick weighs more than water (and sinks) and pine wood weighs less than water (and floats).

A brick weighs more than the ocean?
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    No eating after 6 pm
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    "Why don't you just take up smoking? That will get the weight off quickly."
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    senecarr wrote: »

Really good point.

Do adults weigh more than children? Not at all, 10 children weigh more than 2 adults.

Does brick weigh more than giprock? Not at all, 2kg or giprock weighs more than 1kg of brick.

Do hermes handbags cost more than coach handbags? Nope, $10k of hermes handbags and $10k of coach handbags cost the same.

Does ben & jerrys icecream contain more calories than celery? Nope, 1000cal of ice cream has the same calories as 1000cal of celery.

I'd agree that people could be more precise in their language, but it doesnt make "muscle weighs more than fat" a "myth".
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member

Really good point.

Do adults weigh more than children? Not at all, 10 children weigh more than 2 adults.

Does brick weigh more than giprock? Not at all, 2kg or giprock weighs more than 1kg of brick.

Do hermes handbags cost more than coach handbags? Nope, $10k of hermes handbags and $10k of coach handbags cost the same.

Does ben & jerrys icecream contain more calories than celery? Nope, 1000cal of ice cream has the same calories as 1000cal of celery.

I'd agree that people could be more precise in their language, but it doesnt make "muscle weighs more than fat" a "myth".

Eye lyke yew.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Worst I heard came from my former nutritionist:

You shouldn't mix different types of protein (so I can't have a piece of chicken breast with a sprinkle of Parmesan on it, which is really yummy btw, because these count as two different. Same with yoghurt and milk. Not the same type of protein...) because your body can't metabolize it and all the excess will be stored as fat.

Same rule for carbs. Only one type of carb per meal. Meaning, I can't have strawberries and raspberries together. Supposedly these are different types of carbs...
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    edited March 2016
    A Snickers bar eaten with Diet Coke cancel out the calories.

Broken cookies are less fattening due to calorie "leakage".

OK these are old jokes but just as stupid as "muscle weighs more than fat".
  • senecarr

Really good point.

It does make it a myth because types of things can't weigh more than other types of things. Types of things can be denser or less dense than other things. Throwing out more examples doesn't change your argument. In fact, most of your examples are based on relying on common amounts of substances (1 adult, 1 handbag, 1 container / serving of broccoli) - guess what must overweight bodies have more of in total? Your examples would actually make the point that from a language standpoint, fat weighs more than muscle, particularly for most overweight or obese individuals.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    What about the whole gluten-free hype that has been all the rage? I am waiting for this one to go awaaaaay.